Battery exchange question

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highend

hello :) So I have simple questions:

1. I know I can use 2013-2016 battery in 2011-2012 Leaf, I just need one adapter part from dealer, could anybody tell me service number for that part?

2. maybe stupid question but.. is it possible to fit 2011-2012 Leaf battery in 2013-2016 cars? And do I also need some special adapter?

3. Can I change batteries by myself ( I can let workshop to make it) - do I need to do some electronic work also to adapt battery etc? Or just LeafSpyPro will be fine to clear any fault codes which might appear?
I understand I will disconnet emergency battery breaker and also 12V battery - all will be disconnected before unbolting...

Many thanks!

Based on what I have read here, this cannot easily be done. The car has to be programmed to recognize the battery pack. Currently, this can only be done by a dealer with the proper electronic tools. If the battery packs are the same revision, the control cards can be swapped between the packs. Otherwise, the individual cells will have to be swapped between the battery packs.

Thank you for reply.
So that's why there are no 3rd party batteries for Leaf... with bigger capacity, etc.
Unless somebody will have access to dealer software or hack Leaf it is impossible to change batteries "at home" ? :(

Sad.

One more question. From your reply I assume that I can swap battery pack from 2011-2012 Leaf to my Leaf and can be done by myself.
Battery packs will be same revision, and If I swap control cards (where they are located/how do they looks?) it will work.

Any other battery pack (eg. 2015 Leaf Lizard) - I need to go to dealer to program it....
So If I change batteries from newer model by myself - I put leaf on a trailer and bring to dealer,

Am I correct? Hasn't anybody "hacked" that system? It should be vital.....

Curious if same applies to 30kwh vs 24kwh battery pack... Just "need to be programmed" but of course dealer will refuse ;)

It's not clear if a dealer can pair any battery to any car, replacement packs come with a special electronic key card that dealers use during installation. Talk to your dealer first to avoid unpleasant surprises. My dealer told me they can swap packs between 2 2011 Leafs, I didn't investigate further but it's likely doable after all. Also no need for a trailer, the car should move by itself but in a reduced power mode with 30mph or so max speed.

30kwh packs are currently incompatible with cars that are originally equipped with 24kwh batteries, at least this is the official statement from Nissan.

But I don't want replacement packs to be bought :)
I want to use salvage Leaf and take batteries from it and put in mine.
If I want to use 2013-2016 batteries in Leaf 2012 then I also need conversion plug. Can somebody give me part number to order that? :)

Back