EV System Warning Light

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kubel

I had my annual battery check done today. Signed off on the paperwork, they unplugged my car from their EVSE (A Nissan branded Aerovironment), I started up the car, and immediately got an "EV System Warning Light" (yellow car with exclamation mark). I rebooted the car and it went away. I was late for work, so I couldn't take it back in.

Anyone else have this problem following a battery test?

kubel said:
I had my annual battery check done today. Signed off on the paperwork, they unplugged my car from their EVSE (A Nissan branded Aerovironment), I started up the car, and immediately got an "EV System Warning Light" (yellow car with exclamation mark). I rebooted the car and it went away. I was late for work, so I couldn't take it back in.

I did see the warning after a Blink DCQC session. I drove away with the light on, it turned OFF at the next car start. I did not "rebooted" by disconnecting the battery. It was a couple years back, never happened since then.

This is not unusual and probably not related to the battery check.

Most likely due to pulling out the Jplug quickly, which the car interprets as a fault. Wait a second after depressing the release button before removing. Once I removed the QC plug after stopping the machine but before the red light went out. Got the same fault light which went away after turning the car off then back on. Should not need to disconnect the 12V battery, roll down the right rear window, do a rain dance or.... ;)

Here's another variation on the EV System Warning Light scenario. On two occasions over the past month when I've been charging my 2011 Leaf at a Blink L2 (240v) EVSE (100% charge), and the EVSE has terminated the charge, and I've unplugged the car, when I've pushed the power switch the car has been disabled. The display shows no SOC bars, dashed lines for estimated driving distance, and 2 warning lights -- the yellow EV System Warning light, and the 12-volt Battery Charge Warning light.

On the first occasion I tried 'rebooting' the system by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting it. This had no effect, and the car showed the same warning lights, no bars, and could not be driven. The Nissan service dept. kept the car for about 2 days trying to diagnose the problem. Failing to do so, they made sure all systems checked out and gave the car back to me.

Four weeks went by with my only needing to charge the car at home (also a Blink EVSE). Then 3 days ago it happened again. I had left the car to do a full 100% charge at a Blink L2 EVSE (a different one than before). I received the usual text on my phone that the charge had completed. When I got back to the car, unplugged it, and pushed the power switch the same thing happened -- no SOC bars, dashed lines for estimated driving distance, and 2 warning lights -- the yellow EV System Warning light, and the 12-volt Battery Charge Warning light. So the car has been at Nissan service for the past few days, and they cannot seem to find any malfunction in the car. They have now started consulting with some Nissan Company tech people to try to get to the bottom of it.

I haven't read in any other posts of someone just being dead in the water, and it really spooks me that I could simply be stranded with my Leaf on any trips that involve charging away from home. Is there something common to all Blink EVSE's that could be doing this? Other EVSE's as well? Where can I safely charge away from home?

Thanks for any thoughts or insights.

I got the EV System Warning Light after charging on level 3 charger..took the car in yesterday and they called me today to tell me that they need to replace my PDM is there TSB on this?

I took out my 12V to charge it and then put it back in. Now I have airbag warning lights flashing. I went to two different dealers about a regular checkout and if there was anything truly wrong with it I would think that they would have caught it.

For now my solution involves black electrical tape.

Kieran

kubel said:

In my experience, EV System Warning Light that "resets" on the next power-on cycle = no worry. Those that don't obviously ARE something to worry about; it basically is a result of some fault in the EVSE/connection.

I agree that air-bag warning light/12v thing needs to be investigated.

I can double up for the fault on the EVSE. eVgo's level 2 system (aerovironment - big units) shuts down after a set amount of time after the car is charged (its hours). When I have come back from a trip parking at an eVgo system for day or so, or plugged in for a entire day at an event, I will get the error when I try to pre-cool/pre-heat my car.

I am guessing the car wants to pull charger power since its plugged in, but the plug has been turned off since its been idle for so long, so the car doesn't pre-cool/pre-heat since it cannot draw from the plug and I get the error in my dash because of it. No other public level 2's do that (turn off after idle for awhile) that I have used.

Pipcecil said:
No other public level 2's do that (turn off after idle for awhile) that I have used.
Not Level 2, but the Level 1 outlets on the ChargePoint posts turn themselves off after a few minutes of inactivity. This prevented charging at an airport once when I tried to use a timer together with the Level 1. Chargepoint was not able to reset the EVSE remotely, so I had to charge after I returned.

Turned on my 2012 Leaf this morning and got my first EV System Warning Light. My car is set up for automatic charging starting at midnight. The car did not charge. Turned the power button OFF then back ON. The warning light then cleared and the car is charging OK.

AlanK said:
Here's another variation on the EV System Warning Light scenario. On two occasions over the past month when I've been charging my 2011 Leaf at a Blink L2 (240v) EVSE (100% charge), and the EVSE has terminated the charge, and I've unplugged the car, when I've pushed the power switch the car has been disabled. The display shows no SOC bars, dashed lines for estimated driving distance, and 2 warning lights -- the yellow EV System Warning light, and the 12-volt Battery Charge Warning light.

On the first occasion I tried 'rebooting' the system by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes and then reconnecting it. This had no effect, and the car showed the same warning lights, no bars, and could not be driven. The Nissan service dept. kept the car for about 2 days trying to diagnose the problem. Failing to do so, they made sure all systems checked out and gave the car back to me.

Four weeks went by with my only needing to charge the car at home (also a Blink EVSE). Then 3 days ago it happened again. I had left the car to do a full 100% charge at a Blink L2 EVSE (a different one than before). I received the usual text on my phone that the charge had completed. When I got back to the car, unplugged it, and pushed the power switch the same thing happened -- no SOC bars, dashed lines for estimated driving distance, and 2 warning lights -- the yellow EV System Warning light, and the 12-volt Battery Charge Warning light. So the car has been at Nissan service for the past few days, and they cannot seem to find any malfunction in the car. They have now started consulting with some Nissan Company tech people to try to get to the bottom of it.

I haven't read in any other posts of someone just being dead in the water, and it really spooks me that I could simply be stranded with my Leaf on any trips that involve charging away from home. Is there something common to all Blink EVSE's that could be doing this? Other EVSE's as well? Where can I safely charge away from home?

Thanks for any thoughts or insights.

had the exact same symptoms after using a chargepoint charger, fortunately got resolved after unplugging battery

Thanks, kilimats. I must not have unplugged my battery for a long enough time when I tried that. I now carry a small wrench in the car.

By the way, I have since notified Blink about the advice the Nissan service rep gave me (to stay away from Blink EVSE's) and a Blink rep called me and asked a bunch of questions, saying they take the matter seriously. No word back from them, though, on what might be going on. It really has put a crimp in my driving, though, not wanting to end up stranded when I need to do a 240V charge at a distance from home.

AlanK said:
Thanks, kilimats. I must not have unplugged my battery for a long enough time when I tried that. I now carry a small wrench in the car.

By the way, I have since notified Blink about the advice the Nissan service rep gave me (to stay away from Blink EVSE's) and a Blink rep called me and asked a bunch of questions, saying they take the matter seriously. No word back from them, though, on what might be going on. It really has put a crimp in my driving, though, not wanting to end up stranded when I need to do a 240V charge at a distance from home.

We now know that it happened on two diff brand though, chargepoint and Blink, let's not blame so quickly, because two chargers produce the same outcome it is very likely to be an issue with the Nissan leaf, mine is a 2011.

BTW i unplugged the battery for only 5sec top :)

kilimats said:
We now know that it happened on two diff brand though, chargepoint and Blink, let's not blame so quickly, because two chargers produce the same outcome it is very likely to be an issue with the Nissan leaf, mine is a 2011.

BTW i unplugged the battery for only 5sec top :)

Hmm… yeah, I see what you mean. If you get any leads on what may be going on with the Leaf, I hope you will post them here. The Nissan service tech couldn't find any clues about what might be happening.

I had this happen to me today. After a QC session, 30-70% on a Nissan brand (at Nissan Canada) quick charger I drove away and noticed the EV system warning light. Not sure if it was on right away I didn't notice it for a few hundred feet. I figured I'd stop, turn it off and on and see if it went away. The first couple times the car would only do P and N. After a few times, didn't count maybe 5 it started and drove away. All of the times I turned it off and back on the light was gone.

Anyone else with a similar experience? I turned the QC off with the stop button and waited for the red light to turn off before removing the handle.

minispeed said:
I had this happen to me today. After a QC session, 30-70% on a Nissan brand (at Nissan Canada) quick charger I drove away and noticed the EV system warning light. Not sure if it was on right away I didn't notice it for a few hundred feet. I figured I'd stop, turn it off and on and see if it went away. The first couple times the car would only do P and N. After a few times, didn't count maybe 5 it started and drove away. All of the times I turned it off and back on the light was gone.

Anyone else with a similar experience? I turned the QC off with the stop button and waited for the red light to turn off before removing the handle.

Just had this happen to me yesterday. 2015 Leaf S with 2500 miles. I always charge L1 at home. Battery was 97% when I left. Noticed the malfunction light was on 2 blocks from home, pulled over and tried to restart the car to clear it. The car refused to start back up. The break had no pressure and the system kept saying to press the break in to start. I had to walk home and take a different car. 4 hours later I returned and the car started up first try with no issues. I will take it in soon to get checked out.

Back