Automatic braking 1 wheel?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EV1

When driving a left curve with about 80-90KM/H (50-55mp/h) the right frontwheel suddenly braked 3 times in a row +/- 0,8 seconds per "brake-event" with about the same time pause in between. The nose did dive.
The braking was not smooth as with normal regen or disk braking but "rumbled", not very loud / firm, but considerable.
I immediatly suspected that the tire touched some part of the car near it.
My foot was not on the brake pedal at that time.
I gently stopped the car after coasting for a few hundred meters expecting to find a loose wheel or part of the suspension, but nothing to see.
At an empty parking lot, I tried all sorts of curves, braking, etc. but could not reproduce the incident.

In more than 1,5 years of my daily Leaf driving I never experienced this .

Colleagues suggested some brake-assitence came in.

Is it even technically possible at all that the brake unit / ABS / ESP / ACC whatever on a Leaf can do this?

The symptoms you describe very much sound like the car's Electronic Stability Control was invoked to keep the car on its intended path.

US Leafs have ESC (called Vehicle Dynamic Control by Nissan), but I don't know about EU-spec cars. This is what Nissan says in the current online Leaf brochure:

"This standard feature - sometimes called stability control - continuously monitors your steering and braking actions and compares them to the vehicle's motion. If the system detects oversteer or understeer, it reduces motor speed and/or applies brake pressure to specific wheels, helping to keep the vehicle on its steered path."

I had this happen the same way for no good reason at a speed no stability control would ever need to be used, it almost sent me into a wall. My front tires were significantly more worn then than rears and the difference in circumference is the only thing I could think could have been an issue even though that seems unlikely. Whatever it was it was insanely dangerous. The car acted like I was on ICE but I could have safely been going 20 MPH faster easily. Long easy sweeping turn with great road conditions and traction, about 50 MPH.

From my reading of documentation, the way over, or under steer is detected, is
with a combination of the the Steering Angle Sensor(SAS), and the Yaw sensor. So if
the SAS is not re calibrated after a toe-in adjustment, the detection may not work correctly.
This is an extra step alignment people may not be aware of, or be able to do, due to
the leaf specific equipment needed.
I could also imagine that if the steering is off to go straight due to uneven tires, this
might trigger the cross braking. I think the VDC light is supposed to come on
for this braking.

Thanks for your responses.
I have driven the same route 3 times now, also at higher speeds, even 110KM/h (68MPH) but I can not reproduce it.
My 2012 Leaf has the stability control, I don't think it's different from the US version. (no tire pressure sensors tho)
Speaking of tire pressure, the tires were a bit low on pressure, 2,4 bar (35 PSI) all four tires the same, so I brought them up to 3 bar (44 PSI).
There is no difference in wear visible on all 4 tires, they seem healty, altough I did not measure them.

I recently bought a used leaf and found the same issue happening: mid to high speed cornering induced faulty traction control operation. I took the leaf into the local dealership last week who ran the vehicle on an alignment and found the right rear wheel was slightly rearward that it was supposed to be. They want to put the vehicle on a frame rack to correct the geometry.

Has anybody tried to recalibrate the steering angle sensor or found literature on how to do that?

Back