Rapid loss of battery from 70% to 20%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infounlim

I have an issue that has started happening out of nowhere, on my 2013 SE with 16k miles showing all 12 bars of capacity. I arrive at work with about 70% battery capacity after my 25mi trip averaging around 35Mph. Now every time I start a trip with the battery around 70% the battery drains very quickly down to 20% it will drain from 70% down to 20% in 10mi at 30Mph. This is happening consistently, whether I'm stopped for 30min. or 8 hours, the only other factor may be, I am turning on the climate control remotely before getting in the car. Not sure if this matters. I have taken it to the dealer, they don't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

In addition, when I start out at 70% and I reset the mi/kWh indicator, it says I'm getting almost 5mi per kWh even though my battery has dropped 50% in 10 miles.

I have placed a video I took of the issue below for any interested.

Any thoughts/input would be very helpful.

http://youtu.be/wMga2x-eHIM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sounds like my intermittent problem. In my case disconnecting the 12V battery for a minute or so fixes the problem. If you do this most things will go back to defaults like the window and you will need to reset everything.

DaveInAvl said:
What software updates (if any) has the car had applied by the dealer?
Not sure, I took it in for the 1yr battery check a few weeks ago, they may have done some then. I will have to look at the paperwork when I get home.

Sounds similar to the issue I was having at this post: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=15515. Only difference is That happened in extreme cold, like -25 degrees F. I also took mine into the dealer and of course couldn't really find anything wrong. The only thing they did say was there were like 80 communication errors between the computer and the battery so they were just guessing that the car really didn't have any idea where the battery level really was.

CRLeafSL said:
The only thing they did say was there were like 80 communication errors between the computer and the battery so they were just guessing that the car really didn't have any idea where the battery level really was.
I would recommend checking the voltage of the 12V battery. If it is low (<11V or so) there could be problems communicating over the CANbus which can lead to strange problems.

Back