The Battery Replacement Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mirko said:
Here's a current pic from my LeafDD. How soon can I expect to lose that 4th bar? I have a 63.5 mile round trip commute and 61.5 of it is highway. I'm amazed that I can still make it.

I am too; I have a similar ~60 RT (on some days) and wonder if it will be an issue this winter. What is your highway speed? How about m/kW? I think you'll kill that 4th bar by the end of this year depending on your miles (Florida is about as hot as TX). You at least need to get to ~43A capacity.

Stanton said:
I am too; I have a similar ~60 RT (on some days) and wonder if it will be an issue this winter. What is your highway speed? How about m/kW? I think you'll kill that 4th bar by the end of this year depending on your miles (Florida is about as hot as TX). You at least need to get to ~43A capacity.

Well winter is not much of an issue for me. :D

On the way to work I go early in the morning and usually drive 55-60 and on the way home I can usually go 65 and still make it. I get about 4.4 m/kWh on average. On a good day I'll see 4.8 m/kWh. I have about 31,500 miles on the car.

On 06/13/2014 I had 47.4616 Ahr, and yesterday (07/22/2014) I had 45.3296. So in 38 days I lost 2.1320 Ahr. Maybe in another 38 days I'll be down to 43.1976 Ahr and down another capacity bar. :shock:

45.3296/66.25 puts me at 68% right now. I wish that the capacity bars reflected that value. Probably should start calling them Guess-O-Capacity Bars.

Lost my fourth bar yesterday morning, here are the details:

Mileage: 39801
AHr: 42.75
SOH: 65%
Hx: 58.45%
QC: 17
L1/L2: 1919

If you never had the TCU TSB update (it requires an SD card to do it), your Carwings readings will be ridiculously optimistic... This was a problem with the 2011s... Later cars should be much closer...

sksingh said:
Carwings 5.7 m/kwh
Dashboard 4.1 m/kwh

Figure just under 500 bucks for the labor. So, if I were to replace my pack on my 2011 in SoCal:

5500 (the pack) + 500 (sales tax) + 500 (labor) + 500 (mounting kit + overhead) = $7000. Hmm, not very tempting...

Valdemar said:
Figure just under 500 bucks for the labor. So, if I were to replace my pack on my 2011 in SoCal:

5500 (the pack) + 500 (sales tax) + 500 (labor) + 500 (mounting kit + overhead) = $7000. Hmm, not very tempting...

It sure adds up quickly doesn't it?

There is still the option of buying a used battery from a totaled/VGA 2014 or 2015.
The price of a new battery may also drop in the next years.
Third option is to sell the car to someone who don't need the full range and buy a a used or new Leaf next year.

Replacing the battery on a 2011 does not make sens unless you want to keep the car for a long time.

Having some data from the new 2015 chesmistry will help a lot.

On my side the best option is to wait to get more data.

Slow1 said:
Valdemar said:

It sure adds up quickly doesn't it?

sksingh said:
Lost my fourth bar yesterday morning, here are the details:

Mileage: 39801
AHr: 42.75
SOH: 65%
Hx: 58.45%
QC: 17
L1/L2: 1919

If you can remember, about how long/how many miles ago did you lose your 3rd bar?

Not all dealers are quoting full price on the battery pack - one quoted less, one quoted more and three didn't have a clue. One even told me I needed to schedule an appointment to have the Nissan techs try to figure out why I needed a new battery pack.

TaylorSFGuy said:
Not all dealers are quoting full price on the battery pack - one quoted less, one quoted more and three didn't have a clue. One even told me I needed to schedule an appointment to have the Nissan techs try to figure out why I needed a new battery pack.

Do we have a part number on the replacement pack yet, so we can plug it into the Internets and find the best price?

Price on estimate is 5,038.88 for NI295B0-3NF9E (fairly certain it is zero, not O) - Battery Assy.

No sales tax in Washington State helps but have decided to use the 2014 for now instead of spending this amount on the 2011.

Valdemar said:
Looks like a "better" P/N to search for is 295B0-3NF9E.

Thanks.

I searched, and several sources give $ 4,499.00 as list price.

http://www.nissanpartscheap.com/OEMParts/nissan-142/2/295B03NF9E.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BATTERY ASMY -
Make : Nissan
Part#: 295B03NF9E
List Price : $ 4,499.00
Your Price : $ 4,398.90

I called, and was told they required a pack exchange, and they were "not sure" of that price.

Even harder to believe:

BATTERY ASMY -
Make : Nissan
Part#: 295B03NF9E
List Price : $ 4,499.00
Your Price : $ 3,599.20
http://www.nissanpartsconnection.com/OEMParts/nissan-142/2/295B03NF9E.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not sure if I am putting this in the corrct place nor doing it correctly for that matter. BUT, I have a leaf...I think 2011...if it matter s I will ck. So, for some time now we have been at 1/2 capacity...Iknow as I drive my kids every day the same path to school, and I could do it two times when we first got it, and now only just can make it once....and 9 bars,,,,,last week it finally dropped to 8 bars. SO, my ? is where do I take it. The dealership told me about 5-6 months ago that they would only bring it to 9 bars. I went to a plug in america gathering in Huntington Beach recently and met some people who said no, go to the corp site (I think, they said, but not sure) and I would be able to get the whole thing replaced. I am at about 56,000 missiles so want to get going on this...plus I need to be able to make it home on one charge....ANYONE know the scoop on this?

paxfred said:
not sure if I am putting this in the corrct place nor doing it correctly for that matter. BUT, I have a leaf...I think 2011...if it matter s I will ck. So, for some time now we have been at 1/2 capacity...Iknow as I drive my kids every day the same path to school, and I could do it two times when we first got it, and now only just can make it once....and 9 bars,,,,,last week it finally dropped to 8 bars. SO, my ? is where do I take it. The dealership told me about 5-6 months ago that they would only bring it to 9 bars. I went to a plug in america gathering in Huntington Beach recently and met some people who said no, go to the corp site (I think, they said, but not sure) and I would be able to get the whole thing replaced. I am at about 56,000 missiles so want to get going on this...plus I need to be able to make it home on one charge....ANYONE know the scoop on this?
Yes, get this done BEFORE you get to 60,000 miles! Now! Stop driving it if needed to stay under the 60,000 mi limit. Call the 1-800-NOGASEV number, request the battery be replaced under warranty. Get a case number, schedule a replacement. Take it to a Nissan dealer and request the same thing. Read several threads on this forum for more information:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14102
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18214
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=18375
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18244

Back