Got the visit of a Nissan engineer

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gboudreau

Yesterday, a Japanese engineer from Nissan, accompanied by a Nissan Canada representative, came see me at home.

They wanted to see my charging setup (an Upgraded EVSE, currently connected to 110v because I have yet to have a 220v outlet installed!), and talk about the car, how well it worked in the Canadian winter. He also asked for comments about the car in general, and for suggestions of changes they could make to make the car better. He said this was in preparation for moving production from Japan to the US, since this was the perfect time to make small changes to the car (before they actually create the assembly line).

This was a pretty nice attention.

I think they interviewed other LEAF owners in the region too.

He didn't say anything about the changes they would make; I don't think they know yet.

The points he seemed to indicate he received a lot of feedback on is the front wipers & 'sprayers' (?) They spray too long, and the wipers don't work very well, something I noticed too.

Myself, I pointed out that the rear camera gets dirty very quick, especially in our winters, and that the car frame on the left and right of the windshield are too big, and block our vision of the sidewalks, when we stop at intersections. He agreed, but said they couldn't change those, because they are required to prevent frontal collisions from squashing the car.

I also pointed out that the GOM isn't affected by me turning on the heating steering wheel, or seats, and he said those doesn't affect the range enough to be noticeable.

About the software: he didn't seem to know much about that. We didn't talk about it in details either.

The Nissan Canada guy did point out that I could get one free map upgrade for the Nav-e system during my first 3 years of warranty, something I didn't know. Will be sure to use that right whenever a map upgrade is available.

gboudreau said:
He didn't say anything about the changes they would make; I don't think they know yet.

The points he seemed to indicate he received a lot of feedback on is the front wipers & 'sprayers' (?) They spray too long, and the wipers don't work very well, something I noticed too.

did he confirm that the configuration of the window spray -- powerful right, low height and power left -- is an artifact of right-wheel drive in Japan, and should be arranged differently everywhere else in the world save Great Britain?

thankyouOB said:
..did he confirm that the configuration of the window spray -- powerful right, low height and power left -- is an artifact of right-wheel drive in Japan, and should be arranged differently everywhere else in the world save Great Britain?
I must have gotten two lefts. Wimpy spray on both.

thankyouOB said:
did he confirm that the configuration of the window spray -- powerful right, low height and power left -- is an artifact of right-wheel drive in Japan, and should be arranged differently everywhere else in the world save Great Britain?
No. He only mentioned other owners telling him they think they spray too low, and the wipers don't work well.

DeaneG said:
I must have gotten two lefts. Wimpy spray on both.
For me too.

DurkaDurka said:
Did he make any comment on your EVSE, or you didn't mention it? ;)
I didn't mention it. It's currently plugged in a 110v outlet (still nee to have a 220v installed!)
We went into the garage, and I showed them the charger. The guy from Nissan Canada didn't go near enough to notice, but the Japanese engineer did go for a close look, noted down something, but didn't say anything.

gboudreau said:
Yesterday, a Japanese engineer from Nissan, accompanied by a Nissan Canada representative, came see me at home.

They wanted to see my charging setup (an Upgraded EVSE, currently connected to 110v because I have yet to have a 220v outlet installed!), and talk about the car, how well it worked in the Canadian winter. He also asked for comments about the car in general, and for suggestions of changes they could make to make the car better. He said this was in preparation for moving production from Japan to the US, since this was the perfect time to make small changes to the car (before they actually create the assembly line).

This was a pretty nice attention.

I think they interviewed other LEAF owners in the region too.

Hey Gboudreau.......thanks for the informative post. I appreciate it. :)

gboudreau said:
[...]and that the car frame on the left and right of the windshield are too big, and block our vision of the sidewalks, when we stop at intersections. He agreed, but said they couldn't change those, because they are required to prevent frontal collisions from squashing the car.
Plus, changing something structural like that would probably require crash re-certification by the government, which is probably not trivial, cheap nor quick.

This is the first we (I) have heard of a free Nav-Map upgrade.

You mentioned One upgrade in 3 years.

Is this in Canada only, possibly because the Maps are worse there?

Since the mid-2011 Maps are being included on newer LEAFs now,
and the original LEAF had the mid-2010 Maps, (free?) updates
might be (become) available.

The real questions:
1. Are the maps updated enough (unclude missing roads) to be useful.
2. Are POI increased, or corrected, enough to be useful?
3. Are any of the Nav functions improved?
4. What is the cost for the new SD card?
5. Can one "go back" to their older Nav-SD card if necessary?

Back