National Plug In Day - Sunday, October 16th

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richard

I know Caracalover has posted about this event in a various threads, but I think it deserves it's own topic, moderators.

---

Everyone loves a parade, especially EV parades!

On Sunday, October 16, Plug In America, Electric Auto Association and Sierra Club are celebrating National Plug In Day around the country. http://www.pluginamerica.org/pluginday

In Santa Monica, California we are planning an EV parade. We invite highway capable plug in vehicles in the area to join us as we roll from the Civic Center down Main Street at 10am. Mingle with EV drivers and show off your car while showing the world plug ins are here!

Please email Alexandra to join the Santa Monica parade
Email: [email protected]
Include NPID-SM in the subject line

For drivers in the Orange County area, please contact Linda Nicholes for the Tailgate without Tailpipes Meet-up and Drive-away 1-3 pm at the Orange Public Library parking lot
Email: [email protected]
Include NPID-OC in the subject line
Local event page

Watch the video of the 2009 Inaugural Parade West
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6vQoMkZi8E[/youtube]

See fun photos

Event writeups:

See you there

We intend for this to be the largest gathering of plug-in cars ever seen. The inauguration parade in 2009 brought 78 vehicles together, but that was before any Volts or LEAFs were around. We have over 1,000 additional new plug-ins in the LA region now and most of these people are new to the EV world and are anxious to show their support in some way. We expect this event to get national, and maybe international coverage in the press, so if you are available, we want you to come. Between the OC and Santa Monica events, most anyone can participate in SoCal.

Our goal for the Santa Monica event is to demonstrate what it will be like in the future when all vehicles are electric. We have the AQMD bringing one of their testing vans to Main St. to test the air during rush hour to get a baseline for the pollution levels. We'll be measuring the db levels with a meter to get a baseline on the noise. Then, during the event, we'll be driving EVs two abreast down Main St. and we'll measure the pollution and noise with nothing but plug-in cars on the street.

Media will be interviewing people at the outdoor cafes to see what they think of the difference in their experience of eating without the ever present pollution and noise. We expect this to go over very well with the public.

So, if you want to help show the world why EVs are important, please come join us and make this event a big one. I want hundreds of cars there. The more the merrier!

Please plan on arriving between 8-9:00 am. We're working with Nissan to get some DC quick chargers placed for temporary use for those who need to charge to make the round trip. There are three J-plugs in the lot and several more in the Santa Monica vicinity. We'll have people available to help you find a charger if you don't know where they are.

We are going and hoping to have a carload of passengers. We'll see who wants to get up that early! I already offered Tom L2 charging at our house before or after (or L1 for that matter) but offer open to others as well. We live 1/2 way between Santa Monica and downtown LA just south of the 10.

Kat

IBELEAF said:
I wonder if we could have something like this in Seattle

There are at least a dozen cities involved. Seattle is one. Go to http://www.pluginamerica.org/pluginday" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to get a list.

We have someone from Carlsbad wanting to join us for the Orange event. Does anyone have suggestions for how to handle charging?

Off the cuff, I thought staying overnight around South Coast Plaza (11 stations) or Anaheim (2 stations) would be the best way to ensure ~7 hours of charge.

San Diego seems like a prime spot for another event. If anyone is interested in coordinating a local Plug-In Day event there (or anywhere else), please email [email protected], subject line "NPID".

The New York City event for National Plug-in Day has its own web page. There's lots of information on the event, and you can sign up for email updates.

http://www.nycplugin.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've confirmed a few Leafs for the event, but we'd always love to see more. And even if you don't live in the Northeast send this link to friends and family who do - should be a great event for all.

I'm planning to join the Santa Monica event by driving from Fresno!

I've got time and the car can be charged at RV parks, so why not be a part of the biggest EV parade yet? Maybe this can bring attention to California central valley EV's so we can get some charging stations like L.A., San Diego and the Bay Area have.

richard said:
We have someone from Carlsbad wanting to join us for the Orange event. Does anyone have suggestions for how to handle charging?

Off the cuff, I thought staying overnight around South Coast Plaza (11 stations) or Anaheim (2 stations) would be the best way to ensure ~7 hours of charge.

San Diego seems like a prime spot for another event. If anyone is interested in coordinating a local Plug-In Day event there (or anywhere else), please email [email protected], subject line "NPID".
Sent me a PM if you'd like to charge 15 miles south of there. Our L2 EVSE is just a few blocks off the El Toro 'Y'.

hill said:
richard said:
Sent me a PM if you'd like to charge 15 miles south of there. Our L2 EVSE is just a few blocks off the El Toro 'Y'.

Nice seeing you this weekend, by the way, hill.

I relayed your message to the interested driver who's coming up from the Carlsbad. If it sounds like he's still interested, I'll introduce you two. Thanks for the offer!

It would be nice if we could get someone from the City of Orange at the Orange Library event. I have contacted the City numerous times and they have no plans for charging stations at this time. If they could be there in person, maybe they realize it'll be a worthwhile investment.

PS, I live 4 blocks from the Orange Library, so if anyone needs a charge, I can probably make it happen.

I am actually considering driving up to the Westside for the SM event. I was also thinking this might be a good day to catch the "Revenge" flick up SM blvd. If I can come up with a charging plan (start my day VERY early) I am in.

I have signed up for the Santa Monica event. It should be a lot of fun. Since I am driving in from Claremont, Paul and Alexandra have promised me 10 min of QC. I guess they have a temporary QC setup for the event. This, together with some L2 charge graciously offered by Kataphn should get me home.

Back