Leaf making whining noise.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpm3710

I guess I am use to my husband's Prius plug in hybrid (extra battery added last year). It runs on battery in low speed and flat surface most of the time and it is very quiet when running on the battery. When I got my Leaf I assumed it would be quiet as well. That was why the manufacturer installed the VSP noise so people can hear you coming right? Well let me tell you my car is very noisy even with the VSP turned off. It has a loud whining noise when in motion even at 2 miles an hour and when coming to a complete stop the noise winds down like a lear jet sound but in much lower decibels (ha ha). Is this normal for the Leaf?

What you describe sounds like the VSP is not turned off. Is the orange light on the VSP button lit up? There is a bit of an electrical whine, even with it turned off, but it doesn't sound like what you're describing. At least, not to me it doesn't. Maybe you should have your dealer check it out...

mpm3710 said:
I guess I am use to my husband's Prius plug in hybrid (extra battery added last year). It runs on battery in low speed and flat surface most of the time and it is very quiet when running on the battery. When I got my Leaf I assumed it would be quiet as well. That was why the manufacturer installed the VSP noise so people can hear you coming right? Well let me tell you my car is very noisy even with the VSP turned off. It has a loud whining noise when in motion even at 2 miles an hour and when coming to a complete stop the noise winds down like a lear jet sound but in much lower decibels (ha ha). Is this normal for the Leaf?

While taking it to the dealer if you are concerned is a valid option; I would consider the noise you are describing normal if when the radio is on at a comfortable volume (could still talk with passengers) it masks the noise. If it is loud enough to drown out the radio or require it to be very loud, then I would say it is abnormal.

There is definitely a distinct whine, but that is true of any rotating component and device with a large amount current flowing through it. I think it is a cool sound because it does remind me of a jet, but 98% of the time I don't notice it with the radio on. :)

My 2 cents...

-Matt

Yeah, that sounds like the VSP. Turn it on and off while you're moving slowly with the windows open -- it should be pretty obviously on and off.

The motor whine is much more subtle (though I can hear it on Priuses and other hybrids as well).

PUt the car in reverse, if you hear a ringing sound with the windows on VSP is on. The manual is also a good place for info on VSP.

EVDRIVER said:
PUt the car in reverse, if you hear a ringing sound with the windows on VSP is on. The manual is also a good place for info on VSP.

No I didn't have the VSP on while I hear the noise. I know what it sounds like with the VSP on. The light is always on the VSP switch when I turn off the sound. I know there should be a slight sound from the elecric motor but I just think it is louder than I tought it should be especially comparing it to our Prius plug-in. I can live with it. I just find it ironic that they added the VSP when the normal sound is loud enough to let pedestrians know you are there.

mpm3710 said:
I just find it ironic that they added the VSP when the normal sound is loud enough to let pedestrians know you are there.

When I'm moving below 18mph and the VSP is on, I can't hear the whine of the motor, so I doubt the pedestrians could either. Maybe yours is missing some insulation or something that would make it quieter.

Does anyone have any pets that they can take in the Leaf to see if they react to the noise or not? I am curious what the frequencies are and if the Leaf may be unsuitable for some animals due to more sensitive hearing.

mpm3710 said:
I just find it ironic that they added the VSP when the normal sound is loud enough to let pedestrians know you are there.

Older people probably wont hear it, but it will drive kids crazy :)

SierraQ said:
Does anyone have any pets that they can take in the Leaf to see if they react to the noise or not? I am curious what the frequencies are and if the Leaf may be unsuitable for some animals due to more sensitive hearing.
Don't worry. Even if they do react, you can turn it off with a button push. Or you can do the mod listed in my sig to make it default to off.

It's probably perfectly normal. There is another thread where someone posted a graph from Motor Trend where they mapped the whine. Some people say they don't hear it, which means either some cars don't have it or some don't have very good hearing. My guess is that it's the latter. After riding in the car for five minutes or so right after we got it, the whine was so evident my wife said we should name the car "Gnatella" because it sounded so much like a gnat.

When you're coming to a stop and the car sounds like a jet winding down it's not really that loud, is it?

Even accounting for the whine the Leaf should be considerably more quiet than a Prius.

SanDust said:
It's probably perfectly normal. There is another thread where someone posted a graph from Motor Trend where they mapped the whine. Some people say they don't hear it, which means either some cars don't have it or some don't have very good hearing. My guess is that it's the latter. After riding in the car for five minutes or so right after we got it, the whine was so evident my wife said we should name the car "Gnatella" because it sounded so much like a gnat.

When you're coming to a stop and the car sounds like a jet winding down it's not really that loud, is it?

Even accounting for the whine the Leaf should be considerably more quiet than a Prius.

What Whine?? The other day, my wife said "what is that whine"? And I said "quarter after 3". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm resurrecting this thread. Can't believe that after 6 years passed Nissan still hasn't done anything about this. High pitch noises drive me crazy and to the point I get physically unwell after being exposed to the noise for long hours. Imagine driving this car with the Windows down all day, I promise you that regardless of you being able to hear it or not, it's going to affect you on a subconscious level. The amount of energy emitted by this kind of high-pitch noise is pretty high and will affect the brain in some way not really trying to sound overdramatic here but it is nonetheless a real problem. I just wish the dealer would acknowledge this and offer some kind of reassurance that it won't get worse with time.

I was skeptic about owning a Leaf before I even bought it, and this ordeal has done nothing but reinforced the bad feeling I get when I drive this car. I am well aware my ears are sensitive to this noise and that most other people don't feel bothered with it, nevertheless, one should be cautious when purchasing a vehicle with such apparent drawbacks because afaik there's nothing that can be done about it other than pumping up the stereo volume or ride with windows rolled up all the time. In which case, the car becomes limited to just offering a comfortable ride in some scenarios and not others. That is not good marketing for any EV and particularly not the ones produced by Nissan! :evil:

VSP has been unplugged btw - couldn't stand that noise either.

I'm sensitive to the noise, too. I believe others on this forum have attributed it to the inverter. I disabled my VSP's drive sounds, too, but gear whine and the inverter sound makes more than enough sound (to my ears) to let people know I'm there. Then again, I "snuck up" on a co-worker the other day. He couldn't hear the inverter noise.

My 2013 SL whines too. I used LeafSpy to disable VSP, but didn't realize how noisy the whine was until my wife drove the car one day and I was outside to hear it.

Hi new on the forum but now new to Leafs.

I totally agree that the whining noise is the biggest drawback with the Leaf.
Generally the car is fantastic. And where i live in Sweden, Nissan offers a great lease options that no other brand can match.
So while waiting for that perfect next BEV, i have leased both the -15 24 kwh and now the -17 30 kwh model, Accenta.

So both the cars has this really annoying high pich sound when at slow speeds, usually thats when driving amongst pedestrians and houses.
But my new -17 model also has more of the same when going at higher speeds, like at highway at 105-110 kmh.
So inbetween like 40 - 100 kmh i dont feel there is so much noise, maby due to other road noise.
The -15 version was actually better and not whining even at higher speeds.
And as said before, it is not VSP, i always when start car by instinct also shut down VSP.

So the VSP can be disabled with Leaf Spy pro? really how?
Edit: Leaf Spy Pro & VSP.. Found the 'hidden' Service menu. Whoa, gonna play with that now.. Great..

Just bought a used 2014 and used leafspy to turn off all sounds. They are all off but I still hear that jet noise too. I guess the noise is needed for the car/not optional.

Back