constant beeping when getting out.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adric22

Help me out here.. Every time I shut off my Leaf and open the door it begins to beep at me. It is a series of 4 beeps being repeated over and over again. In a regular car I would expect it would be trying to tell me that I left my lights on, or that I left the key in the ignition or something. But I can't figure out why the Leaf does this. THe lights are off, the car is turned off, key is in my pocket, the parking brake is set, etc. Nothing is showing on the screen, other than maybe the current estimated recharge times. I just close the door and lock them. THe beeping goes away after that.. Is mine the only one that does this?

Could it have something to do with the door being open? I get some odd beeps if I open the drivers door before I shut everything down.

I've been meaning to ask the same thing. I can't see any rhyme or reason to why it happens sometimes and not others.

The sound is the classic "hey dummy you left the key in the ignition"...but there is no ignition so why have the sound?

When it has happened to me it was generally after
I had been sitting in the car for quite awhile without going anywhere. But that is almost every time since I end up exploring all the interesting features when I stop.

You didn't notice? I'm a little rusty. It's DX code saying:
- .... .- -. -.- / -.-- --- ..- / ..-. --- .-. / - .... . / -.. .-. .. ...- .
thank you for the ride
:lol:

58phil said:
When it has happened to me it was generally after
I had been sitting in the car for quite awhile without going anywhere. But that is almost every time since I end up exploring all the interesting features when I stop.

Mebbe it's a "Texas thang"? :mrgreen:

Over here, we call it "the ghost of Honda"....didididit....didididit....didididit....the letter "H". Time was, you only heard that in a Honda.

I know it happens when you turn the car OFF while not holding the brake.
It goes to accessory mode, and my only clue is that the Power button is still half-lit.

I've ALSO had it happen for no reason at all, like what it appears this thread is about. No idea why it's beeping, but nothing is indicated on the dash, and the car is completely off, so I assume this is the mythical difference between "LOCK" and "OFF"?

Yeah, the beeping happens to me and it became a "boy who cries wolf" scenario yesterday... I had turned the car on w/o my foot on the brake to show someone the dash features, and forgot and locked the car when I walked away. I then left the car in that mode for a couple of hours in a parking garage! Doh!

Don't have Leaf yet to know about it.
But Nissan push button start operation in 2009 Altima really dislikes the driver's door being opened before shutting it down.
Beeps like crazy if you shut it down with the driver's door open.

GroundLoop said:
I know it happens when you turn the car OFF while not holding the brake.

I cannot replicate this. If you hit the button when the car is on, it always turns completely off (power button still lit) regardless of brake pressure. It is NOT in accessory mode. The only way to accessory mode is to power up twice without your foot on the brake.

TimLee is right. I went out and tested this and it makes the noise only when you open the door before shutting down. If you shut it down before opening the door, it does not make the noise. Seems like I always open the door and shut down at nearly exactly the same time so it appears to randomly make the noise.

adric22 said:
Help me out here.. Every time I shut off my Leaf and open the door it begins to beep at me. It is a series of 4 beeps being repeated over and over again. In a regular car I would expect it would be trying to tell me that I left my lights on, or that I left the key in the ignition or something. But I can't figure out why the Leaf does this. THe lights are off, the car is turned off, key is in my pocket, the parking brake is set, etc. Nothing is showing on the screen, other than maybe the current estimated recharge times. I just close the door and lock them. THe beeping goes away after that.. Is mine the only one that does this?

What pocket is your key in? I notice that it sometimes has a problem locating the fob when it's in my left pocket (too close to the door / dead spot?)

TimLee said:
Don't have Leaf yet to know about it.
But Nissan push button start operation in 2009 Altima really dislikes the driver's door being opened before shutting it down.
Beeps like crazy if you shut it down with the driver's door open.
That fits my scenario this morning. I had backed out onto the driveway and stopped to go back inside for something I forgot. Quickly shut down, and hopped out to repeated beeping. I'm almost positive I got the door open before shutting down. It had me scratching my head as I looked for evidence of leaving something on...

I think you guys nailed it. I experimented today and discovered it is most definitely caused by opening the door before turning the car off.

I thought the beeping was telling me to put the E brake on which I never do..But then on 2nd thought after watching all the ToyStory movies,it was just the car saying good by :)

Back