Nissan,how could you Screw Up so BADLY

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanley

To BrianSanDiego, I am happy for you and wish you the best! Sad for me. Actually I am FURIOUS at Nissan.

Brian reserved on 7/17,ordered on 1/31 and received his Leaf on 4/16. I was one of the first to order on May 15 and Leon`s (Mossy San Diego) first January order. My reservation is over 6,000 earlier than Brians and my order is over one thousand earlier than his. I have two Vin #`s and a June delivery date.

Nissan could you have done any more to anger a staunch Nissan and EV supporter? Yes you have, by a Nashville exec. not retuning my telephone calls.

stanley said:
To BrianSanDiego, I am happy for you and wish you the best! Sad for me. Actually I am FURIOUS at Nissan.

Brian reserved on 7/17,ordered on 1/31 and received his Leaf on 4/16. I was one of the first to order on May 15...
I assume you mean "reserve", not order. The first reservations were made on 4/20, not May 15th.

stanley said:
...and Leon`s (Mossy San Diego) first January order. My reservation is over 6,000 earlier than Brians and my order is over one thousand earlier than his. I have two Vin #`s and a June delivery date.
And, in the great and terrible scheme of things, there are folks with Sept and Oct order dates who have July or Pending deliveries, who are mad at the situation that gives you a delivery date before theirs.

Somehow, with a 10/7 order date, I managed to get a Week of 4/22 delivery date...and while I'm glad it hasn't changed and I have a VIN, it's with mixed feelings--feeling simultaneously bad that I'm ahead of folks who ordered before me (if only by a few days...not quite bad enough to volunteer my car to someone else, however), and also mildly pissed off that a friend of mine who ordered in January had a delivery date well before mine (which hasn't happened yet, due to the fix-at-port delays).

Nissan could you have done any more to anger a staunch Nissan and EV supporter? Yes you have, by a Nashville exec. not retuning my telephone calls.

The Random Delivery Date Generator program would have to be a first-ballot Hall of Fame selection in the realm of customer alienation, fo' shizzle. The lack of follow-up is icing on that cake (to fully mix my metaphors).

stanley said:

Don't let the earthquake, massive loss of life, or tsunami get in the way of your rant. After all, you deserve your car, damn it! How dare they have leaky nuclear plants, massive destruction and interrupted supply chains!! And that little bug about cars shutting down and requiring reprogramming on approx 1500 cars?!? Why the hell can't they do that in a few hours?!!???!

It's clear to me that Nissan has selected you to dump on and has deliberately gone out of their way to ruin your expectations. It's also abundantly clear to me that venting here will advance your cause, so my suggestion is to use all caps.

It's a car.
You're in line to get one very soon.
The vast majority of the country cannot even order one.
You need to chill out.

May I suggest that those who are in the block of skipped orders organize themselves into a group to petition Nissan for information and redress.

There is a power in numbers that is not present for the individual.

Jimmydreams said:
stanley said:

Don't let the earthquake, massive loss of life, or tsunami get in the way of your rant. After all, you deserve your car, damn it! How dare they have leaky nuclear plants, massive destruction and interrupted supply chains!! And that little bug about cars shutting down and requiring reprogramming on approx 1500 cars?!? Why the hell can't they do that in a few hours?!!???!

It's clear to me that Nissan has selected you to dump on and has deliberately gone out of their way to ruin your expectations. It's also abundantly clear to me that venting here will advance your cause, so my suggestion is to use all caps.

It's a car.
You need to chill out.

:lol: Didn't I see you guest hosting for Jay Leno? You have a healthy perspective, although I do feel empathy for Stanley (and what concerns me is I could see myself feeling that way!). Hang in there Stanley - we'll all be having happy "Leaf meets" very soon.

I got tired of constantly changing delivery week estimates, so I decided to do something about it (see estimated delivery date in signature area). Now I am right on schedule (I hope).

watch out, jimmydreams.
someone is going to accuse you of being callous and self-disinterested because you have your car and your rebate.

but you are right, regardless.
I have no car and no rebate. but I can be accused of being promised a car in April. However, my date is already past; and who knows when or if?

Jimmydreams said:

It's a car.
You need to chill out.

Jimmy, I think Stanley is more frustrated with the out of sequence deliveries more than the long wait for a car. Those are two different issues in my mind, and the earthquake in Japan may have nothing to do with the former (we don't really know for sure, because Nissan has not said exactly how that happened. ;) )

Jimmydreams said:
Don't let the earthquake, massive loss of life, or tsunami get in the way of your rant. After all, you deserve your car, damn it! How dare they have leaky nuclear plants, massive destruction and interrupted supply chains!!

You're completely right. Nissan's communication and totally sensible response to the Tsunami make total sense! I can see the boardroom meeting now.

"Gentlemen, the disaster has hit us in every way imaginable. We have a lot of work ahead of us, and a lot of hurting employees."

"This is horrible. The magnitude. The radiation. I've got it! We will resequence the LEAF orders!"

"Holy Spam nigiri, that's brilliant!"
"Quick! Everyone! To the Nissan Order System Mark-1 !"

"Sir, uh, it's right here on your desk.. just turn the switch back on. It's on the side. Next to the Commodore logo."

"Right! The first thing we need to do is get those fresh Jan/Feb orders out the door! And I mean before the ink dries! It will require some Lithium Grease, AES encryption, Python scripts, and a rusty coathanger, but I think we can shuffle the orders to make sure nobody, and I mean NOBODY, goes home happy."

"But... What about Jimmydreams!?"

"Don't worry about him -- he got his car in January. Probably cashed his rebate check before doing his taxes. He'll back us up no matter what we do. It's mostly the Sept/Oct orders that we need to confound."

"Whew. Okay, I'm on it. Standard Nissan Communication Protocol, sir?"

"Of course! And not a word to those talkative pencilnecks in Customer Support! Drop some cryptic email now and then, but make sure our North American comrades are in the dark. Once the last ceremonial delivery is done, I don't want to hear Word 1 from Mark Perry! You hear me? Not a WORD! I want him as confused and silent as the pissant dealerships and their unwashed retail customers."

"Ah yes.. what about those sniveling customers, with their, their.. databases and forums. The Forums, sir! They bash us thrice nightly. And they are not kind. They Know Things we don't announce."
"Sir, I've got a sleeper agent in Critical Mass.. I'll see to it they scramble the Dashboard database nightly."

"Nice work! That will show them WHO controls the information. Damn databases. Bring me my lawyers!"

"Yes sir. If we can totally shuffle these cars around in transit, we'll recover from this nuclear, earthquake, and tsunami THAT much faster."

"Well, don't just stand there with your Bic in your hand, get on this keyboard and delay some cars!!"

Jimmydreams said:

You need to chill out.

This has nothing to do with the disasters. Nissan already made the mistake before then. My car was not in the last ship that left Japan before the disaster. It was probably not even made. You should put yourself in our shoes first before telling us to chill out esp if you already have the car and rebate in the bank.

GroundLoop said:
Jimmydreams said:
Don't let the earthquake, massive loss of life, or tsunami get in the way of your rant. After all, you deserve your car, damn it! How dare they have leaky nuclear plants, massive destruction and interrupted supply chains!!

You're completely right. Nissan's communication and totally sensible response to the Tsunami make total sense! I can see the boardroom meeting now.

"Gentlemen, the disaster has hit us in every way imaginable. We have a lot of work ahead of us, and a lot of hurting employees."

"This is horrible. I've got it! We will resequence the LEAF orders!"

"Holy cow, that's brilliant!"

"Quick! To the order system! The first thing we need to do is get those fresh Jan/Feb orders out the door! It will require some Lithium Grease, AES encryption, Python scripts, and a rusty coathanger, but I think we can shuffle the orders to make sure nobody goes home happy."

"But... What about Jimmydreams!?"

"Don't worry about him -- he got his car in January. He'll back us up no matter what we do. It's mostly the Sept/Oct orders that we need to hold up."

"Whew. Okay, I'm on it. Standard Nissan Communication protocol?"

"Of course! And not a word to Customer Support. Drop some cryptic email now and then, but make sure our North American comrades are in the dark. Once the last ceremonial delivery is done, I don't want to hear Word 1 from Mark Perry!"

"I've got a sleeper agent in Critical Mass.. I'll see to it they scramble the Dashboard database nightly."

"Nice work! If we can totally shuffle these cars around in transit, we'll recover from this nuclear, earthquake, and tsunami THAT much faster."

Groundloop, thank you for lightening my mood. I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. (probably since your classic post about getting jacked up on caffeine before calling CS.) :lol:

lonndoggie said:
And, in the great and terrible scheme of things, there are folks with Sept and Oct order dates who have July or Pending deliveries, who are mad at the situation that gives you a delivery date before theirs.

I reserved on 4/20 and placed order on Sept. 8. Not sure that it matters, but I received my 7-day delivery notice on April 12th, the very same day my dashboard slipped to May 2nd and now 6th. Net is I don't have my car, have no real idea when I'll take delivery and am more than a little puzzled as to what's going on?

Having said that, I'm not in in Cali, so not in jeopardy of loosing $5K. That's big enough for me to pass on the MY11 and wait to see what happens down the road, both with the car, and the rebate status.

Cheers

trentr said:
Jimmydreams said:

You need to chill out.

This has nothing to do with the disasters. Nissan already made the mistake before then. My car was not in the last ship that left Japan before the disaster. It was probably not even made. You should put yourself in our shoes first before telling us to chill out esp if you already have the car and rebate in the bank.

+1!

leafnode said:
I reserved on 4/20 and placed order on Sept. 8. Not sure that it matters, but I received my 7-day delivery notice on April 12th,
Right, and I ordered six days before leafnode, got a 7-day notice on March 15, and have no idea when I am going to get a car.

But I do believe I know how the screw up happened. Some idiot in Nissan USA or Critical Mass (the geniuses who brought you the website) set up an ordering database with the date defined as a month/day/year character string. Everything worked reasonably until entries started being added with January order dates. Since "01" or "1/" collate before "09" or "9/" or "10", the January orders immediately jumped to the top when sorted by age.

Ray

planet4ever said:
But I do believe I know how the screw up happened. Some idiot in Nissan USA or Critical Mass (the geniuses who brought you the website) set up an ordering database with the date defined as a month/day/year character string. Everything worked reasonably until entries started being added with January order dates. Since "01" or "1/" collate before "09" or "9/" or "10", the January orders immediately jumped to the top when sorted by age.
Best explanation I have seen so far... plus that would explain why they can't 'fess up to what happened--they would look really bad :roll:

planet4ever said:
Ray

Sorry, not buying your theory. This is why: Dates use the 'four digit' for the year, so even though 01 for the month comes before 09, 2010 comes before 2011. I've yet to see any comp program not use the four digit years and have a problem with 'sorting'.

Yes, the sorting is still screwed up if the monkeys at Nissan stored the date as varchar. One way that it will sort correctly is to change the format to YYYYMMDD.

Code:
Idiot ways:

mysql> select * from test order by str;
+------------+
| str        |
+------------+
| 01/19/2011 |
| 01/20/2011 |
| 01/29/2011 |
| 09/20/2010 |
| 09/29/2010 |
+------------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from test order by str desc;
+-----------+
| str       |
+-----------+
| 9/1/2010  |
| 10/1/2010 |
| 1/25/2010 |
| 1/2/2011  |
| 1/1/2011  |
+-----------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Correct way:

mysql> select * from test order by str;
+----------+
| str      |
+----------+
| 20100901 |
| 20100902 |
| 20100922 |
| 20110101 |
| 20110201 |
+----------+
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)

I am now feeling so good that Nissan found our missing #202. In light of this, it could have been much worse!

Back