Seattleites - How is your Leaf on the new 520 bridge?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomcon

I am getting a huge amount of car-sway crossing the new 520 bridge in my Leaf (2018). Way more than in our other car, a Mazda CX5, which actually doesn't sway noticeably any at all, except maybe in high wind. In the Leaf, for just about every crossing, it feels like the sway you got on the old bridge when the waves were high (the sway that, when you're a nubie around here made you think you had a flat tire but after a few times you know what it is). But, i don't think its something wrong with the car, as this "sway effect" doesn't happen anywhere else other than on 520.

Do others notice this on 520? Does anybody think it is something that i should worry about or have checked out at dealer?

If others notice this too -- any theories on why it is? My guess was that it must have to do with the position of the battery pack, weight that ICE cars don't have.

Thanks!

If you have the tires set to the recommended (by Nissan and no one else) pressure, try bumping them up to 40 or 41psi. That may interfere with the wave-induced motion of the car a bit...

I've certainly noticed it in each version of the Leaf, and I have heard of other people experiencing this even without a Leaf. I gather it's a side effect of the shallow grooves that are cut in the pavement on the East side, which are there to decrease the noise for people living in the shadow of the bridge. I believe it affects the Leaf more than some other cars because of the tires, but I haven't tried switching tires on my Leaf to see if that changes anything.

I agree with the above that this is likely a tire related issue. I noticed it to a degree with my 2012 Leaf, though I live in LA. The OEM Ecopias have notoriously thin sidewalls (at least on the older Leafs) so I would not be surprised if this is what is causing what the OP is experiencing.

The weight of the car and the lowered center of gravity caused by the battery pack should have nothing to do with it. If it does, you'll be hearing it from Tesla owners (of which there is no shortage on the Eastside) as well.

We just got a 2016 Leaf SL on Friday and drove it across the 520 since it was closer from the dealership (I normally use I-90) and noticed this same issue. I thought maybe the winds were high but it is good to know this is perhaps unique to the leaf. Another reason to avoid 520 as much as possible.

We too are having issues in the 520 Bridge with our brand new Nissan Lead. Lots of swaying and have to fight to keep car going straight. Talked to Nissan National Safety Department and their only suggestion was to bring it into a shop. That seems futile since swaying doesn’t happen anywhere else. Maybe it is the Washington Department of transportation who is to blame.

Back