30kWh Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falcon1

I have finally decided to get rid of my gas vehicle for an electric car. Been following the scene for years now, but as I am a student they have all been out of my price range until now. I am currently weighing a few different vehicles, but I wont know how large a pack I need until after this summer. While it seems to me that the 24kWh leaf has a very resilient battery post 2013, I have had a hard time getting information on the 30kWh post software update.

When 30's started hitting the used market here, most had a bar or two missing, but lately that has changed and most have all 12 bars, with rarely 1 bar missing. Compare this to every 2015+ 24 and most 2013's and 14's still having all 12 bars here. For reference, I am in British Columbia and our weather is ideal for EV's, even when passively cooled.

My question is: what is the reality of the 30kWh pack? I have searched the forum and it is hard for me to tell if the update solved the problem in its entirety or not.

Some degree of uncertainty remains but it is probably not relevant to BC.
The more important difference (in the US at least) is the warranty. The older cars are 5 yrs/60k miles while the 30 kWh and newer cars are 8 yrs/100k miles.

Sorry for the imperial talk; I'm not sure about the km though I imagine it will be ~ 100k km vs 160k km.

As noted above, the outcome still isn't certain. It appears that the BMS update "cures" many, but not all, of the packs that were showing early lost capacity bars. What I suggest people do is look for a 30kwh car that was built later in 2016 or in 2017 (there are lots of early cell failures in early build packs) and that shows 12 bars WITHOUT having had the update. The second choice would be a car that shows 12 bars at least 3 months after the update. A car that has recently had the update is essentially a mystery: LeafSpy won't be able to tell the actual capacity because of the BMS reset that happens with the update. You can do a range test, but for the novice that might not be precise enough to tell if the bar display is accurate, or not...

We are in year 4 with our 2016SV. Still 12 bars. Range on full charge maybe off 5 percent. Hard to tell. Literally never had a single issue although I did a free tire rotation at two years and they did the update last year. Flawless car. I’d buy another. Probably will next year but not to replace the leaf but rather to replace Angela’s smart EV convertible. (We both need 4 seats now).

Thanks for all the replies! I like the sound of the longer warranty. Especially as a 30kWh leaf approaching a replacement should have approximately the same range as a similar age 24kWh leaf. Is there any way to tell if the update has been done or do I have to rely on the dealer or seller knowing/telling me?
Is there anything else I should keep in mind?

There should be a record of the update tied to the VIN, as with any other service or recall or TSB. Remember that in your climate the heat pump will be very useful, so look for an SV or SL, not an S - unless your range needs are small.

Back