Thoughts on 2020 LEAF

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWO4Mann

Leaf Supporting Member
My 2012 is getting long in tooth so to speak. I'm thinking about the 2020 LEAF. What are your candid thoughts on buying one? I'm wary of lease since I use the car to do everything including haul bales of hay and bags of fertilizer.

I respect the great advice offered here over the years.

Is it safe to presume that the ownership experience with your 2012 was positive given that you are asking about buying new again?

Personally can relay that the 2019 I got recently is a comparable build quality as the 2014 I got 5 years ago. In addition, it has more battery capacity, more options, and a lot of new tech features for a similar price as the 2014. Thus, if happy with your ‘12 and value shopping, this is likely a much better value today.

If doubting your choice in 2012, please tell what doesn’t work for you today on your Leaf. Maybe those concerns are addressed now.

rogersleaf said:
Is it safe to presume that the ownership experience with your 2012 was positive given that you are asking about buying new again?

Personally can relay that the 2019 I got recently is a comparable build quality as the 2014 I got 5 years ago. In addition, it has more battery capacity, more options, and a lot of new tech features for a similar price as the 2014. Thus, if happy with your ‘12 and value shopping, this is likely a much better value today.

If doubting your choice in 2012, please tell what doesn’t work for you today on your Leaf. Maybe those concerns are addressed now.

I've been quite pleased with my 2012. Only dislike is rapid decrease in range, which is my fault since until recently was 100% charge every night. My error and I've bit the bullet on that.

Thanks for your response.

Dave

I can attest that I was nervous about buying this 2019 vs. leasing as done with the 2014 due the resale value. The upfront cost of buying was much better this time. Guess only time will tell if this was the right choice. It was a bit emotionally draining when turning in the ‘14 and felt somewhat uneasy over that choice since. As for the range difference, I’m seeing about double right out of the box and a lot less coaxing to achieve the range. Might even get away with 80/20 charging management when the weather warms up.

If the 2020 still forces a leather interior on those who want or need Around View, I will likely jump ship and lease another brand. I like my 2018 fairly well overall, but hate the leather interior. I don't consider this to be "more options" but less...

LeftieBiker said:
If the 2020 still forces a leather interior on those who want or need Around View, I will likely jump ship and lease another brand. I like my 2018 fairly well overall, but hate the leather interior. I don't consider this to be "more options" but less...

I agree, I read in the Wall Street Journal this morning that the auto stealers are "demanding" buyers get fully loaded cars. I'm not sure about leather interiors. My Porsche 928S had all leather, which held up well since 1978, but that's with constant care. My old Jaguars all had leather which were poorly made -- no surprise there.

We will see what we will see and caveat emptor as always.

We are also considering a 2020 Nissan Leaf SL EPlus. Usually there are some improvements model year to model year. Any speculation on what might be improved for the 2020 model year? Maybe a return of Coulis Red? How about a light interior colour? Leather works for us but prefer it not to be black.

webeleafowners said:
We are also considering a 2020 Nissan Leaf SL EPlus. Usually there are some improvements model year to model year. Any speculation on what might be improved for the 2020 model year? Maybe a return of Coulis Red? How about a light interior colour? Leather works for us but prefer it not to be black.

There is already a white/cream leather interior. I have it in mine. I grew up with cars with cheap vinyl seating and cheap vinyl door panels, so leather just reminds me of that - too hot or too cold and stiff. I remember how happy I was to see plush cloth velour interiors on Japanese cars in the Eighties.

LeftieBiker said:
webeleafowners said:

There is already a white/cream leather interior. I have it in mine. I grew up with cars with cheap vinyl seating and cheap vinyl door panels, so leather just reminds me of that - too hot or too cold and stiff. I remember how happy I was to see plush cloth velour interiors on Japanese cars in the Eighties.

Huummm, white leather? Gonna figure out what to when I carry my mulch, fertizer and hay bales with the back seats down! :lol: :lol: :!: :roll:

LeftieBiker said:
webeleafowners said:

Nice. I don’t suppose you could post a picture or two?

2018-nissan-leaf-cream-leather-front-seats.jpg

It's too early to speculate on what the Model 3 will offer in 2020, and the Model Y and next Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi BEV platforms have yet to be solidified.

The better question is "what would the buying public like to see in these vehicles?"

OrientExpress said:
It's too early to speculate on what the Model 3 will offer in 2020
On the contrary, I suspect the 3 will offer almost exactly what it does today. I would not expect any significant difference.

The Y will likely not be available until 2021, so a 2020 LEAF will be long available before it. I don't think the LEAF will stand up very well against the Y, although it will be much cheaper.

Back