Import USA to Germany - adjustable Headlights

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemika

Hello, I am thinking about to take our Nissan Leaf 2013 to Germany next year because we like it so much after our temporary placement is over. We could save some money even.
Seems in euros there are adjustable headlights required. So I have to retrofit those, but have no information on how to.
The headlights can be purchased, but the electric wiring and the operation is a mystery to me.
Has anybody ever heard about this topic or had experience?
Any information would be giggly appreciated.
Greetings,
Michael

2011 and 2012 LEAFs made in Japan had adjustable headlights and side marker lights on the front fenders to comply with worldwide requirements. 2013 and later models made in USA eliminated those items. I suspect you would need to purchase the adjustable European headlights (and possibly side marker lights) and then wire them because the USA LEAF would not have the correct wiring harness. You might want to search some of the other threads on the forum about exporting LEAFs from USA to Europe.

Sell the Leaf for what you can get out of it before you move. The car is going to be seven years old. Along with the cost of transport, will be the cost to upgrade and make it compliant with local laws. That money would be better spent finding a car to buy when you reach your destination.

Hello and thanks. I wonder if the European headlights fit the vehicle. Also the wiring might be not that easy.
The vehicle is just so much cheaper here in the states that it makes sense to think about it. Similar vehicles with same mileage and age are 5k USD more expensive over there. The take vakuutukset is also not so good in the states which increases the gap.

Gemika said:
Hello and thanks. I wonder if the European headlights fit the vehicle. Also the wiring might be not that easy.
The vehicle is just so much cheaper here in the states that it makes sense to think about it. Similar vehicles with same mileage and age are 5k USD more expensive over there. The take vakuutukset is also not so good in the states which increases the gap.

As (starting with the 2013 model year) the EU-spec versions come from Sunderland, and the US-spec versions come from Tennessee, there's a good chance the Euro-lights might NOT fit. They may look identical, but mounting points could be different. As already mentioned, the front fenders are different starting in 2013 since the US and Canada do not mandate a turn signal repeater.

I know US-spec Leafs have been imported to Norway and Estonia, you might want to check forums that deal with that to see what issues you will run into.

baustin said:
Sell the Leaf for what you can get out of it before you move. The car is going to be seven years old. Along with the cost of transport, will be the cost to upgrade and make it compliant with local laws. That money would be better spent finding a car to buy when you reach your destination.

This.

Back