NC not counting Leaf as electric?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyMutt64A

I bought my Leaf at the end of 2016. NC is supposed to charge a $150 extra registration fee. So far, I have yet to be charged. I assume that the fees are assessed using the VIN to ID the car. Anyone else experiencing this? I bought the car from a VA dealership, but I wouldn't expect that to matter. My wife wants a Leaf too and we are thinking about buying a pair in 2020. I don't want to trigger a massive increase in our annual registration.

Your DMV may have it listed, incorrectly, as a "Hybrid." State motor vehicle departments can be pretty clumsy. For years I had to register and title my electric Vespa-type scooters as having "Cylinders: 1."

Last 5 years in North Carolina and my LEAF has been properly registered as an electric car. Extra EV fee used to be $100, but is now $130. Same add-on fee for my Model 3. Maybe your VIN was mis-entered?

Sometimes the go by the fuel type, so its very common for this cars to have a title thas says fuel type : G meaning gasoline, in this case their software wont charge you the extra fee, but they may change that and go buy the car model or vin number, if it is the first time you may no get charged till the second year, but if they are charging you less is their problem and i wouldnt say nothing about it.

I just paid our DMV $25 extra for new plates, online. They were also going to give me a random new plate #. What I got instead was no new plates, and a renewal of my current plate number. They owe me $25. I can hardly wait to try to collect it...

ArmyMutt64A said:
I bought my Leaf at the end of 2016. NC is supposed to charge a $150 extra registration fee. So far, I have yet to be charged. I assume that the fees are assessed using the VIN to ID the car. Anyone else experiencing this? I bought the car from a VA dealership, but I wouldn't expect that to matter. My wife wants a Leaf too and we are thinking about buying a pair in 2020. I don't want to trigger a massive increase in our annual registration.
I hope the two of your enjoy your dual LEAFs as much as we have ours. And yes, you will have an increase in your annual registration. Whether it is massive or not depends on your definition of “massive.” It will be $260 ($130 per EV) on top of all other fees for the privilege of registering in North Carolina. As you probably already know, NC also charges a personal property tax on all vehicles, a delightful surprise when we moved her almost 6 years ago.

Back