Progressive increased premium 100% after accident

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gncndad

2015 LeafS., 27k miles, residing in Fort Worth, TX. We had an at-fault accident, $5700 repair. We've been with Progressive for 3 years, paying around $5k/year for 4 vehicles. Commute is 7m r/t, so all highway miles are pleasure/vacation, not business.

My wife and I have driven, combined, 80+ years, well over 2 million miles, and this is our ONLY AT-FAULT accident in all those years. We've had 2 no-fault claims, one for an uninsured driver (22 years ago rear-ended us while we were stopped at a traffic light), and one road hazard (in August 2018 concrete block bounced into our grill).

Progressive just doubled the cost of our insurance, from $5200 to $10400.

Another interesting note: Since production of the Leaf is so low, there are no after-market (cheaper) body parts available. All are OEM (according to the Nissan repair facility.) As our cars age, this will mean we can't lower our repair costs by going after-market, but will always be limited to the pricier OEM parts.

FYI: Geico just quoted me $6800. I'll be phoning USAA this morning.

Rant over... :D

That sounds insanely high, for reference, i am paying about 1500 per year for my 4 cars in the pacific northwest with 2 drivers, although none of them are full coverage (if i hit someone i can fix it).

you should not be paying anywhere close to 5k even... in my experience i have swapped insurance carriers every 2-3 years, as they start jacking up the rates.

Marko

Darn!! I never thought of that.... That there is no aftermarket for body parts on the Leaf.... WOW... Another reason to not buy the latest and greatest EV out there.

I guess that the CRV is looking better and better to me.. There are billions of them...

estomax said:
That sounds insanely high, for reference, i am paying about 1500 per year for my 4 cars in the pacific northwest with 2 drivers, although none of them are full coverage (if i hit someone i can fix it).

you should not be paying anywhere close to 5k even... in my experience i have swapped insurance carriers every 2-3 years, as they start jacking up the rates.

Marko
Insurance rates are highly dependent on location and a bunch of other factors. Comparing rates between random owners on the internet is almost meaningless. Each person needs to do their own comparison shopping as another's experience rarely transfers well.

Many years ago, Farmers Insurance tried to raise our rates by a factor of 10 ($320 to $3,200 for 6 months) for the second renewal after my wife rear-ended someone even though there was not much damage to her SUV (after the other driver threatened to sue in what was probably a staged accident). I had Farmers for at least 15 years before that (motorcycle and pickup) so they lost a long-term customer. In Arizona at that time, an insurance company could not cancel your policy just because you had an accident so they raised the rates so much that we had to change insurance.

I have Ameriprise (Costco)
I pay $4600/ yr for 4 cars and 4 drivers.
2015 Leaf costs $1160/yr.
I thought it was too expensive but if all parts have to be OEM, that explains why..

SageBrush said:
powersurge said:
Another reason to not buy the latest and greatest EV out there.
The smarter lesson is to buy a mass market car. Prius and Tesla come to mind

You didn't seriously suggest a Tesla for low repair costs, right? Tesla's are so insanely expensive to repair that they've been totaled for two small holes in a quarterpanel. They have fierce control over a small network of body shops, poor parts availability, and lots of aluminum body parts. They are the best car to be in during an accident. They are an absolute disaster to repair afterwords. There are horror stories of people waiting months for body parts for repairs.

Prius is probably fine. My Leaf has a much higher insurance rate than my Odyssey. This is one reason why.

Lothsahn said:
You didn't seriously suggest a Tesla for low repair costs, right? .
I did, but it deserves clarification and an admission of some degree of uncertainty.

I was thinking of the Model 3, the first (and so far only) mass market EV in the US. I expect both a healthy used part, and 3rd party new parts markets to develop so that the sky high parts costs through Tesla can be mostly avoided. My uncertainty stems from Tesla's current unwillingness to publish technical manuals and their constant innovation that makes it very difficult to source a part known to fit. I'm reasonably confident that tech manuals will become available but I am less sure that Tesla will share with everybody the history of car changes.

The important detail about Tesla in general that outsiders tend to miss is that the company has declined to view service as a profit center and Tesla does not have to appease dealerships. I think they will learn to service and repair the cars cheaply. Not today and not this year, but in the next few years. It is inherent in mass adoption.

SageBrush said:
I was thinking of the Model 3, the first (and so far only) mass market EV in the US.

Tesla was late to the party. The LEAF was clearly the first mass market EV worldwide.

Nissan wanted to make lots of LEAFs, and built a plant in the USA to make far more than actually sold. Nissan expected to sell more LEAFs in the USA than in the rest of the world: instead only about 15% of the LEAF sales are in the USA.

There are a whole lot more old LEAFs out there than old Model 3's. And thus a whole lot more parts today. The future?

WetEV said:
The LEAF was clearly the first mass market EV worldwide.
Unless you are planning to take your car to Norway for repairs, stick to US stats:
About 115k sales through the 7 years of 2010 - 2017, or about 1200 a month.
Last quarter Tesla delivered ~ 60k Model 3 in the USA. I expect that to halve as Tesla now also ships production internationally.

As I said, the only BEV with a chance to develop a healthy secondary and 3rd party parts market on the horizon is the Tesla Model 3

Back