Quetions on charging control from the App

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

Hi All. We use the App all the time but only for turning on climate control and checking state of charge.

On the App there is a charging start button. When would I use this.

Is there a way to stop the charge? Right now once I hit my desired charge I walk outside and unplug it. Can I do this from the App?

Like you, I just use the EV Connect app to start/stop climate control. I just looked at all of the menu items available for my 2015--there is one to start charging, but I don't see one to stop charging. The only reason that I can think of to start charging remotely is if you have a timer set and plug the car in outside the allowable charging time window so the car is waiting to charge. In that case, I think you could send a charge start command to start charging immediately. Hopefully, someone will reply if my interpretation is not correct.

GerryAZ said:
Like you, I just use the EV Connect app to start/stop climate control. I just looked at all of the menu items available for my 2015--there is one to start charging, but I don't see one to stop charging. The only reason that I can think of to start charging remotely is if you have a timer set and plug the car in outside the allowable charging time window so the car is waiting to charge. In that case, I think you could send a charge start command to start charging immediately. Hopefully, someone will reply if my interpretation is not correct.

AFAIK that is the only use for that function. It's the Timer Override button in the app.

I mainly use the Climate On and Climate Timer functions of the App to adjust the temp inside the car before I go anywhere. I also use the Charging Start when I need to override the timer and charge it up to 100% for the extra range. I have the default charging mode set to 100%, but I use a daily timer to charge only to 80% (I have a 2013 model) to help prolong the life of the battery.

After I park in the garage I look at How much is left in the battery and input the percentage in the juice box app. And set the max, to 80% for example

I’m expecting my first leaf in the next week, and found my way here searching Google for start/stop functionality. So my first post here 😊👍

I want to be able to remotely start/stop charging to use EV tariffs.

It sounds like you can start at a defined time but not stop. However the work around is to set stop on percentage, which is guessable I suppose but not ideal

Energyguy said:
I’m expecting my first leaf in the next week, and found my way here searching Google for start/stop functionality. So my first post here 😊👍

I want to be able to remotely start/stop charging to use EV tariffs.

It sounds like you can start at a defined time but not stop. However the work around is to set stop on percentage, which is guessable I suppose but not ideal

If you want to take advantage of time-of-use tariffs, you can set the charge timers in the car. If desired, you could then override the timer to start charging earlier with the EV Connect app if you have an SV or SL (the S models do not have navigation/entertainment systems with cellular modems). For example, the peak hours on my residential electric rate are 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm weekdays. I have the two timers set up to allow charging except during those hours (timers are actually set to avoid charging from 3:50 pm to 7:10 pm weekdays in case the clock in the car is not exactly synchronized with the clock in the utility's meter).

MikeDickey said:
Does the EV Connect app cost money? Does it work like a phone data plan?
I have not checked on 2023 models, but my 2019 SL Plus still has most features free. There are additional features such as remote door lock/unlock that can be added as part of subscription through Sirius/XM. Be aware, none of the remote functions will work with S models because they don't have navigation systems and cellular modems.

To start/stop the climate control, I only use the EV Connect app. There is a menu item to start charging, but I don't find one to stop charging after I looked at all the options for my 2015 just now. The only scenario in which I can envision starting the charging process remotely is if you have a timer set and plug the car in after the permitted charging window has passed and the car is still waiting to charge. Then, I believe you could send a charge start order to initiate charging right away. If my understanding is incorrect, hopefully someone will respond.

No subscription on my 2019 either...pre-cooling or heating and checking battery charging progress I use all the time with out subscription.

As said above... no lock unlock with out subscription along with a few other features I don't need.

Lesternixon said:
To start/stop the climate control, I only use the EV Connect app. There is a menu item to start charging, but I don't find one to stop charging after I looked at all the options for my 2015 just now. The only scenario in which I can envision starting the charging process remotely is if you have a timer set and plug the car in after the permitted charging window has passed and the car is still waiting to charge. Then, I believe you could send a charge start order to initiate charging right away. If my understanding is incorrect, hopefully someone will respond to the spiritual significance of your dream of car accident but not hurt

Right! I only use the app to control the charging status, climate control, and vehicle location.

Btw. I’m expecting my second leaf (well, my son's) in the next three weeks :)

Back