Any humorous experiences with your Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

After 2 days of rain and a string of nice days forecasted I ventured over to my favorite car wash.
I have taken my Leaf their twice, this was the third time.
So I am waiting for my car to come out of the wash and be driven a few yards to be dried off.
I notice my car at the end of the wash line for quite some time, so I peer in and notice the attendant has no idea how to put the car in Drive.
After watching for a few minutes, I walk over to the car, the guy is pushing the buttons on the key fob to try to start the car. Finally, I told him to stop, get out of the car, and I drove it the final few yards to be dried off.
Anyone else having problems with attendants parking or driving your car?

I had similar issues when I first got my LEAF in Feb, 2012. It was very entertaining to watch car wash staff attempt to drive (or even start) this new car with a push button on-off, unusual shifter, strange access to “Neutral,” and so on. After about 2016 or so however, these issues went away as more and more folks working with lots of different cars got used to it. And this includes parking valets. So really no worries today, at least in my experiences.

That said, we have another new set of on-off/drive/neutral protocols with my Model 3. After seven months of ownership and 6000+ miles, I’m not sure I could successfully navigate a full service car wash let alone explain to someone else in just a few seconds how to do that. So far, only hand washes by me and no valet parking yet.

I took my wife's Odyssey to our local full service car wash and asked if they do electric cars. She asked what mine was and when I said it was a Nissan Leaf she said that was OK. Then she added that that they don't do Teslas.

Understand that in NE Ohio, encountering a Leaf is a rare event. A simple trip to the grocery store would normally result in someone stopping me in the parking lot to look at the car. When it became time to replace the tires, I stopped at a local Walmart on the way home from work to get this done. Their service manager confided he didn't remember ever servicing a totally electric car at their store and asked if I would mind giving a short demonstration to their mechanics that were on-duty. Told him no problem and he gathered a small crowd around the Leaf in the back parking lot. Next thing you know, they were taking turns test driving the Leaf around the mall parking lot to where the service manager broke up the party to get his shop working.

Back