Any harm in lots of level one 8 amp charging?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webeleafowners

The Leaf is not in the garage so no access to my Juicebox without leaving the garage door open a bit for the cord. It’s minus 22 Celsius here and we are using it lots right now, mostly around town with some intratown commuting. In between trips I’m just leaving it plugged in all the time to our 120 8/12 amp EVSE. (Selectable). It rarely gets over 90 percent before we need it again but the battery seems to stay a little warmer this way and us possibly helping range.

Would welcome comments on this practice. Tomorrow’s high a balmy minus 12.

The car has been a champ. Love the ability to walk away with it stil “running” and keeping it warm while I am gone for 15 minutes or so.

John.

Engineer here. If 120V 8Amp, then you are loosing a bit of money on electricity due to it not being as efficient as 240V XAmp. We are talking pennies though :)

- It's good for your battery, since it stays colder and will degrade slower.
- It's not good if you look at the range aspect, since a warmer battery could output more power.

I am doing 240V 8 Amp here in winter now mostly.

In that kind of weather, degradation caused by high SOC is quite negligible. But keeping pack "semi" warm is important so yeah, anything to keep the batteries as warm as possible is a good thing. I saw 3 TBs for first time on my 2018 coming home from work Monday. I did a QC to get the temps up a bit (into the 40'sº F anyway) Helps with more regen available, etc.

webeleafowners said:
Love the ability to walk away with it stil “running” and keeping it warm

Hah! In Minneapolis, it's illegal to leave your car running without you in it, when parking on the street. It's funny how out of date some laws are.

http://www.startribune.com/the-drive-if-keys-are-in-ignition-you-need-to-be-in-car/242139431/

specialgreen said:
webeleafowners said:

Hah! In Minneapolis, it's illegal to leave your car running without you in it, when parking on the street. It's funny how out of date some laws are.

http://www.startribune.com/the-drive-if-keys-are-in-ignition-you-need-to-be-in-car/242139431/

How would they know it was "running" (key would be in pocket with doors locked)? If ticketed, I would argue the traction motor was not running (since it only runs when the car moves) and the "key" was not in the car.

How would they know it was "running" (key would be in pocket with doors locked)? If ticketed, I would argue the traction motor was not running (since it only runs when the car moves) and the "key" was not in the car.

Unfortunately, the cars with heat pump sound exactly like a well-muffled ICEV idling with it running...

specialgreen said:
webeleafowners said:

Its illegal here as well but LE has already stated they will NOT ticket EVs. Its also illegal to idle at my Son's school when waiting to pick up your child and yes, they have monitors walking the area to provide gentle reminders. They have yet to talk to me and I NEVER turn off my car. ;)

Back