Fast charge to 100%?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenInCastleRock

I bought a 2019 Leaf SV with winter package about a month ago. Most of my driving is to work and back (42 miles round trip) or just around town and the Leaf fits my needs perfectly. I usually charge to 75%. The Leaf displays a range that doesn't really match my real world results, but that doesn't really bother me. I don't usually get close to the range the Leaf says I should, but at least it gives me and idea of how much charge I have left.

I knew I was going to pick up my kid at college and I decided to use the Leaf. The trip is 90 miles each way and there's a fast charger and an L2 charger close to the school. There are highways I could take where the speed limit is 75 mph, but since the car uses so much more energy to go 75 mph vs 60 mph, I planned to take the highways with more traffic and some traffic lights. That decision meant that the trip would take 2 hours each way compared to 90 minutes if I went the 75 mph route. Both routes were approximately the same distance.

Before the trip I charged to 100% at home. I used Eco mode and e-pedal and did not run the heater (even though it was about 20 degrees F that morning. I live in Colorado and when it's sunny the inside of the car is comfortable when it's 35 degrees outside. So my trip was a little chilly but I was alone in the car and I didn't mind.

The leaf displayed 156 mile range as I left the house. I drove at 65 mph for the first 10 miles of the trip. The range shown by the leaf dipped to 149, then started climbing back up. I hit traffic and for the next 35 miles my speed was between 30 and 55 mph. Incredibly, after 45 miles of driving my range showed 152... 4 miles less than when I started!

When I arrived at the charging station I had 80 miles of range according to the Leaf, much higher than I expected. The Leaf's charge time screen showed I needed about 1 hour of fast charge or 3 hours of L2 charging to get to 100%. My kid was expecting me in 2 hours, so I decided to fast charge while I ate lunch. I know fast charging often isn't encouraged, but I wanted to have the peace of mind before the 90 mile drive home (actually it's about 102 miles including the drive from the charging station to the school). This was only my second time charging away from home. The EVgo station gave me instructions that I followed. It didn't ask me how long to charge and I didn't have the Leaf's charge timer enabled. When I came back to car the EVgo station said that the charging session had ended after 37 minutes and the Leaf said the battery level was 80% and the range was around 134. We made it home with about 20 miles of range to spare and it would have been a much more relaxed trip if I had more range.

I think the difference in range between the 2 trips could be due to the fact that my home is at a higher elevation (about 1000 ft) than most of the trip. I looked at the battery temperature and it was on the low end. Why didn't fast charging go to 100%? Is there a better charging strategy that I should have used? Could I have plugged in the L2 charger after fast charging?

I use E Pedal nearly all the time but the one time I don't is when SOC is at 100% especially if I am in the position to stretch the capabilities of the car. In several tests using E Pedal at high SOC (you can use power meter showing regen available to determine "high") I found that the level of regen was shockingly high even with SOC at 99%.

B mode regen level is MUCH more controlled at high SOC so for battery health, I would recommend B mode at least until you are down below 95%.

As far as your charging? You were right to grab the QC when you did

BUT

You are charging at EVGO station so have to think NCTC not available there? I have heard its not everywhere which would have been a disappointment so your charge session (if paying for it) should have been 45 mins or if not paying for it (if using NCTC) should have been 30 mins. Times are approximate. I usually see anywhere from 30 mins, 40 seconds to nearly 32 mins on my session times.

Maybe the charging station ended the charge automatically? Are you signed up with "No Charge to Charge"? Fast charging speed slows down a lot the closer it gets to 100% so it's not worth it to fast charge after 80%.

Triggerhappy007 said:
Maybe the charging station ended the charge automatically? Are you signed up with "No Charge to Charge"? Fast charging speed slows down a lot the closer it gets to 100% so it's not worth it to fast charge after 80%.

LOL!!! In 20º weather? Its not worth it to charge above 50% SOC!

FYI; I have seen and experienced first hand, EVGO chargers missing the target charge time both in favor and against me. This has not been uncommon for me.

BenInCastleRock said:
Yeah, I'm using NCTC. So not worth it to charge to 100% even with the risk of needing to charge part way home?

Assuming no time restraints, I would just charge until the 30 mins is up and go. You will be nowhere near 100% anyway unless you started the charge at over 80%.

Keep in mind, Blink stations do not automatically stop and starts billing you the 49 cents per min after the free 30 mins is up.

Levenkay said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LOL!!! In 20º weather? Its not worth it to charge above 50% SOC!

If one is on a second or subsequent DCFC, it's already 80º weather from the battery's point of view.

Sometimes. Really all depends on whether the car was parked outside or not. I went from 45º to 62º because I started a QC at 35% SOC and hit the knee at 45% SOC. The 30 min time limit was a killer. I think I pulled like 14 kwh?

BenInCastleRock said:
Why didn't fast charging go to 100%? Is there a better charging strategy that I should have used? Could I have plugged in the L2 charger after fast charging?

Any battery charging tapers. At low levels, the battery can absorb the maximum current. As the voltage rises the current must drop to avoid damage to the battery.

All of my EVgo charges stop around 30 minutes and/or 80%. If I want to continue to 100%, I have to unplug and re-plug in and start the session again. It takes another 30 minutes or so for the final 20% for the reason WetEV mentioned.

ScottUrman said:
BenInCastleRock said:
Yeah, I'm using NCTC. So not worth it to charge to 100% even with the risk of needing to charge part way home?

NCTC gives you 30 minutes of free charging and then it stops.

That is true with EVGO...

On Blink after the 30 mins, its bills you at 49 cents per kwh (may vary in other locations)

On Webasto it does not stop until you stop it or it reaches roughly 95-97% SOC.

Where I charge (EVGo combo station in Troy NY) the station doesn't stop after 30 minutes with NCTC. It may stop after 45, but I haven't charged for that long, yet.

LeftieBiker said:
Where I charge (EVGo combo station in Troy NY) the station doesn't stop after 30 minutes with NCTC. It may stop after 45, but I haven't charged for that long, yet.

What EVGO is supposed to do and what it does aren't always the same. I have charged over 30 mins 4-5 times?? with max being...well don't know. I unplugged after 48 mins because ran out of time but normally its "EVGO" 30 mins which is listed as up to 32 mins on their website.

It could be more but I unplug early about 60-70% of the time.

With NCTC, Greenlots does not shut you off, but starts to bill after 30 minutes. I set an alarm for 20 minutes if I'm leaving the car, or 29 minutes if I'm sitting in it. I usually charge for 29:30. Sometimes the buttons need to be pressed a few times to confirm the stop, and I got dinged $5 twice when I was charging for 29:45.

BTW, Greenlots has a $30/month all-you-can-charge card (30 minutes max session). I've gotten used to the NC2C card, so I think I will subscribe when my NC2C runs out in 5 months.

LeftieBiker said:
EVGo works the same way, but AFAIK I've never gotten 'charged for charging' the two times I went over 30 minutes...

Me neither and I have also charged at two different locations with less than an hour between end of one session and beginning of the 2nd

DaveinOlyWA said:
I have also charged at two different locations with less than an hour between end of one session and beginning of the 2nd

Good point. I once unplugged, let another car charge (he was in a hurry), and when he was done, I plugged in again. I was expecting to see a charge, but didn't get one. It's possible that you could charge more than a half-hour, just by disconnecting and restarting. But by 30 minutes, I'm pretty impatient to hit the road!

Back