How to tell if 2011 leaf had the battery replaced

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxLeafPower

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to replace my battery on my 11 leaf. I would like to try to find a totaled Leaf where it it has the new lizard battery pack.

My question is how can I find out if the battery was replaced? I'm sure the salvage yard isn't going to know. If I have the VIN is there a number at Nissan I can call to find out? Or do I have to be there to physically inspect the battery?

Thanks

If you can look underneath, the rear battery covers are different between the 2011/2012 and the 2015 (new cover required when getting a 2015 warranty replacement pack).

This auction has detailed pics of a '15 rear cover:

https://www.ebay.com/p/15-Nissan-Leaf-Underbody-Cover-Guard-Shield-748n3-3nf0a/1122205065?iid=163449460682

And here is one with pretty decent pics of a '11-'12 rear cover:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-Nissan-Leaf-Lower-Engine-Splash-Shield-Guard-Cover-748N3-3NA0A-OEM/254035127163?hash=item3b25ac6b7b:g:UPYAAOSwmvpcHT1i:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Notice how boxy the sides of the '15 cover are vs. the curvier and more shallow sides on the '11-'12 (and possibly later)?.

So just stick your head under the car and you should be able to quickly tell if the pack has been replaced or not.

mwalsh said:
If you can look underneath, the rear battery covers are different between the 2011/2012 and the 2015 (new cover required when getting a 2015 warranty replacement pack).

This auction has detailed pics of a '15 rear cover:

https://www.ebay.com/p/15-Nissan-Leaf-Underbody-Cover-Guard-Shield-748n3-3nf0a/1122205065?iid=163449460682

And here is one with pretty decent pics of a '11-'12 rear cover:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-Nissan-Leaf-Lower-Engine-Splash-Shield-Guard-Cover-748N3-3NA0A-OEM/254035127163?hash=item3b25ac6b7b:g:UPYAAOSwmvpcHT1i:rk:1:pf:0&vxp=mtr

Notice how boxy the sides of the '15 cover are vs. the curvier and more shallow sides on the '11-'12 (and possibly later)?.

So just stick your head under the car and you should be able to quickly tell if the pack has been replaced or not.

Thanks. This is going to be helpful. I just noticed a 11 going on auction near me so I can inspect it myself.

MaxLeafPower said:
Thanks. This is going to be helpful. I just noticed a 11 going on auction near me so I can inspect it myself.

Pretty significant differences on the front battery covers too (these will be the covers most centered on the car).

2015 front cover: https://www.ebay.com/p/Nissan-748N23NF0A-Genuine-OEM-Under-Cover/1822191973?iid=152870459803&chn=ps

2011/12 front cover (748N2-3NA0A): https://static.baza.farpost.ru/v/1542242910812_default

LeftieBiker said:
coach81 said:

Carfax will show replacement of the 12 volt battery, without labeling it as such. It does nothing but confuse people.

LefiteBiker: This is the current battle I am having. Carfax 2/6/19 shows battery replaced in 2013 Leaf. I buy it 2/9/19 thinking its got a new battery, double checked with dealership listed on carfax before executing purchase. He stated it had 10/12 bars and that is what he is used to seeing when they get replaced. Service center with SOH today reveals it was the 12 volt battery that got replaced. I am going to file a consumer affairs complaint with the bureau of automotive repair. That is very misleading.

Anyway, does anyone have a VIN with a replacement pack that they can share with me? I am happy to go pay the $40 and see if it simply states "battery replacement" on the carfax report. I contacted carfax but I don't know if they will prove helpful.

PM me if you don't want to post your VIN please.

He stated it had 10/12 bars and that is what he is used to seeing when they get replaced.

Typical sales-creature lie. Most lizard pack replacements would still be showing 12 bars today, some 11. Only a car in a Hot climate would be likely to have two bars lost on a replacement Lizard pack. Always get "high voltage traction battery replaced (DATE)" when buying a used Leaf in which this claim was made. It will also be listed as such in the service record, which most Nissan dealerships will give you, given the VIN. And make sure that if the traction battery was replaced, if happened AFTER 2014. Earlier replacements could well be the old 'Canary" chemistry, and they will lose bars as fast as the original. It's possible, but not likely, that this is what the dealership that sold you the car was talking about. I'd say it's more likely that they just lied to you, because no 2013 Leaf would need the pack replaced because of degradation in 2014, or 2015, or probably even 2016.

I hope you get them to buy the car back.

Got it! So 10/12 bars for a battery from August 30, 2013 manufacturer date is still a good battery (for a canary type) even if it wasn’t replaced (with a lizard type).

I have a friend who offered to help with leaf spy and filed a complaint with the bureau of automotive repair for CA dept of consumer affairs. The basis being the dealership repair shops need to specify battery type replaced without having to look up part numbers to make that determination since part numbers are not necessarily on the service records.

Still hope to find a vin for a vehicle which went from canary to lizard to see what comes up on carfax

Thanks!

Got it! So 10/12 bars for a battery from August 30, 2013 manufacturer date is still a good battery (for a canary type) even if it wasn’t replaced (with a lizard type).

Yes, although I'd use the word "typical" rather than "good."

mcain said:

I have a friend who offered to help with leaf spy and filed a complaint with the bureau of automotive repair for CA dept of consumer affairs. The basis being the dealership repair shops need to specify battery type replaced without having to look up part numbers to make that determination since part numbers are not necessarily on the service records.

Still hope to find a vin for a vehicle which went from canary to lizard to see what comes up on carfax

Thanks!

Try this one and see what CarFax shows. The 12 volt battery was replaced on September 30, 2017, and the Traction Battery was replaced under warranty on October 20, 2017. The Leaf was manufactured in January of 2013.
VIN: 1N4AZ0CP0DC402162

Back