Value of 2011 Leaf with New Traction Battery?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafPowerIsIxE

Just looking for some advice ... I have a 2011 Leaf SL (original owner) with 21,000 miles. Nissan replaced the traction battery last December under a warranty deal. Very clean car - new tires, seats covered since day-1. Garaged in San Diego since purchase. No maintenance issues.

Time to upgrade. It's hard to price this for sale as the KBB doesn't take into account the new traction battery and the low miles.

Any ideas on the market value?

i was looking around for a EV back in Sept 2018 and there as someone selling the same car as yours in the area for $9000 listed I approached them and offered $7500.. i didn't hear back from them and I ended up buying a BMW i3 instead. They got back to me to say that they would accept $7500 offer. so that was Utah a couple of months ago. Hope that helps.

Craigslist for SF Bay area has two 2013 Leafs w about 20k miles (both S models) for sale by owners. One 7900, one 8400. Presumably both with 12 bars. I'd say yours is worth about $7000 if you are selling it to a private party. Much less if selling to dealer.

stjohnh said:
Craigslist for SF Bay area has two 2013 Leafs w about 20k miles (both S models) for sale by owners. One 7900, one 8400. Presumably both with 12 bars. I'd say yours is worth about $7000 if you are selling it to a private party. Much less if selling to dealer.

Just curious why you said presumably with 12 bars? Meaning cars with 20k miles usually haven't lost a bar yet?

RonSwanson said:
stjohnh said:

Just curious why you said presumably with 12 bars? Meaning cars with 20k miles usually haven't lost a bar yet?
Depends on the climate and battery chemistry.

My '13 on its original battery didn't lose its first bar until almost 50K miles (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511915#p511915).

At http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=537951#p537951, I pointed to a Phoenician who was down 4 bars by 31.4K miles. His build month was the same as mine.

In contrast, those in mild climates with a better chemistry can make it to 90K miles before losing a bar...

RonSwanson said:

Most of the SF Bay area is fairly mild climate, and 2013 models mostly have improved chemistry compared to 2011/2012. So if those cars stayed in the bay area, they are not likely to have lost a bar by 20k miles. I live in the bay area, my 2013 lost a bar at 36k miles. My wife also has a 2013, still has 12 bars at 51k miles.

I have no empirical evidence to support it, but odometer mileage seems to have very little influence on battery health. Heat is the biggest battery killer, followed by poor charging habits and then age (of the pack). I bought my 2013 used when it had about 41k miles on it and it didn't drop the first bar until just under 67k miles. It was originally sold in Seattle and was used exclusively in Seattle by the previous owner until I imported it into Vancouver, CA. Again, just a guess, but I think it dropped the first bar due simply to the age of the pack.

The first generation "Canary Pack" lost bars rapidly due to age unless kept in a chilly climate. From the 4/2013 "Wolf Pack" on, calendar age has mattered much less - at least until the 30kwh pack, which remains an unknown quantity.

cwerdna said:
RonSwanson said:
stjohnh said:

Depends on the climate and battery chemistry.

My '13 on its original battery didn't lose its first bar until almost 50K miles (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=511915#p511915).

At http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=537951#p537951, I pointed to a Phoenician who was down 4 bars by 31.4K miles. His build month was the same as mine.

In contrast, those in mild climates with a better chemistry can make it to 90K miles before losing a bar...

stjohnh said:
RonSwanson said:

Most of the SF Bay area is fairly mild climate, and 2013 models mostly have improved chemistry compared to 2011/2012. So if those cars stayed in the bay area, they are not likely to have lost a bar by 20k miles. I live in the bay area, my 2013 lost a bar at 36k miles. My wife also has a 2013, still has 12 bars at 51k miles.

Thank guys! I was just curious how fast my new to me 2013 leaf will lose it's first bar. It had the battery replaced earlier this year and hasn't been driven much until I got it last month. I do live in a hot climate though (Los Angeles area). I plan to charge to 80% only (awesome feature) and try to keep it in the shade as best I can.

RonSwanson said:
Thank guys! I was just curious how fast my new to me 2013 leaf will lose it's first bar. It had the battery replaced earlier this year and hasn't been driven much until I got it last month. I do live in a hot climate though (Los Angeles area). I plan to charge to 80% only (awesome feature) and try to keep it in the shade as best I can.

For a better prediction, get theLeafSpy app and an inexpensive adapter if you don't already have it. Every month or two record the SOH reported. After a year of data, graph the SOH vs Date and extrapolate (linear). You will lose the first bar about when the SOH hits 85%.

Back