ProPILOT Hands-On Override

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyscholes

As a newer LEAF owner (13 days ago) and an even newer member of this forum, I am not clear on what is is morally acceptable. Is it taboo to discuss how to defeat the hands-on detector? Some videos show a rather unsafe approach where the steering when could get snagged in an emergency, but I found a cheap and safe (ish) way to defeat the detector without impeding the wheel's movement.

Is there any interest in discussing this topic?

I have no interest in it. I think it is dangerous and stupid. The car is not designed or intended to drive itself. The ProPILOT features are meant to assist the driver, not to replace the driver.

I have interest merely to better understand how the capacitive sensing completes its circuit. I goofed around with an orange but that didn't seem to do anything.

For me, ironically I find myself paying MORE attention when using anything that may extend the time before the warning lights commence. I just get a huge kick out of watching the steering wheel turn for the road curve without my input.

For those curious, this is how I did it. I have a 2.5 pound ankle weight that I drape over the bottom section of the steering wheel. If the wheel is turned more than 45 or so degrees, the weight will fall off the wheel. I have even been able to roll up the weight and place it in the bottom right or left quadrant of the wheel so that it does not hang below the wheel. Again, it will fall out of the wheel in case of emergency maneuvers. I have driven for almost 20 miles completely hands-free with this approach.

BFiRw2UYAb5vKI3t0SDiLzWszlHfxTiVtO_4v-ekagRAEDJ8tRJrcfITmpZQXwRcc2IyKkVqVlXyXh49jrjG2x8MErd25_WZmC8JcqjuBiGfA9usoO5yqK3w62WUdnheUsPIvpMv_xA=w2400

Because those weights also have velcro straps, someone will see that and strap the weight to the wheel. Since it doesn't offer any advantage other than not having to have a hand resting on the wheel 95% of the time, you are suggesting that people defeat a vital safety feature for no other reason than.......? Pro Pilot is pretty good at helping reduce driving fatigue, but it is very incapable of driving the car alone. Each intersection or turnoff completely baffles it, and it switches off - at which time a weight on one side of the wheel will turn the wheel quickly in that direction, with no resistance from the car.

LeftieBiker,

I agree with most of what you wrote, except that I am not suggesting anything. I found a way to defeat the hands-on detector and asked if there was interest discussing it. At least one person expressed interest, so I shared my findings.

Very interesting & I wonder how that satisfies what I presumed to be a capacitive loop detection to ensure that a human was physically touching the wheel.

@Leftie, Dude the damping of the steering rack will NOT allow the steering wheel to quickly turn & the tires WILL provide resistance depending on how far off center the steering angle is. Think about it, when you go through a turn you simply release the steering wheel slightly & the tires largely self centers the steering wheel as the vehicle straightens itself out. And of course you then take hold of the steering wheel once again & that whole operation takes a few seconds at most.

Also this idea is for boring low traffic highway cruising which is the only real place ProPilot works well enough to be bothered. I HIGHLY doubt that Marty is using this tactic in town. Thanks for sharing Marty, I may have to experiment with this for science.

p.s. Leftie my understanding is that you live in New York which I have never been to but understand it to be very congested so if true please keep in context that not all of us have that driving reality. Someone like myself can drive for miles & miles and not see another car in either direction. Also there's most two lane roads with the occasional four lane road so the traffic flow is likely way different.

@Leftie, Dude the damping of the steering rack will NOT allow the steering wheel to quickly turn & the tires WILL provide resistance depending on how far off center the steering angle is. Think about it, when you go through a turn you simply release the steering wheel slightly & the tires largely self centers the steering wheel as the vehicle straightens itself out. And of course you then take hold of the steering wheel once again & that whole operation takes a few seconds at most.

I drive a lot at night, on (largely empty) secondary roads. I'm telling you that as I pass intersections and off-ramps the PP disengages and the wheel turns in whatever direction the crown of the road dictates. Sometimes this is straight, but usually it is right. It does so QUICKLY, with little self-centering. The weight pictured above, strapped to the wheel, would produce exactly what I said: a hard turn in whatever direction the weight dictated. I avoid driving in heavy traffic, so my objections apply to the situations for which this dangerous nonsense is being proposed.

I'm telling you that as I pass intersections and off-ramps the PP disengages and the wheel turns in whatever direction the crown of the road dictates.
Agreed. That's why I only do this when on the interstate (no intersections) and in the lane immediately left of the right lane (no on-ramps nor off-ramps).

martyscholes said:
I'm telling you that as I pass intersections and off-ramps the PP disengages and the wheel turns in whatever direction the crown of the road dictates.
Agreed. That's why I only do this when on the interstate (no intersections) and in the lane immediately left of the right lane (no on-ramps nor off-ramps).

That's better, but it still begs the question: why would we want to not keep at least one finger on the wheel so that we are awake and at least probably watching the road? Aren't those dead Tesla drivers and victims enough of a warning?

LeftieBiker said:
Because those weights also have velcro straps, someone will see that and strap the weight to the wheel. Since it doesn't offer any advantage other than not having to have a hand resting on the wheel 95% of the time, you are suggesting that people defeat a vital safety feature for no other reason than.......? Pro Pilot is pretty good at helping reduce driving fatigue, but it is very incapable of driving the car alone. Each intersection or turnoff completely baffles it, and it switches off - at which time a weight on one side of the wheel will turn the wheel quickly in that direction, with no resistance from the car.

I agree.. this technique I feel is a very unsafe one.

Update on Pro-Pilot.. yesterday my wife, son, and his girlfriend went riding around in Elecktra. I decided to show off ProPilot Assist. The reaction on all their faces as my car skillfully navigated a few turns in the road while traveling over 50 MPH with my hands off the wheel was priceless!!!

I'm on day 3 day since my last charge with still over 40% battery remaining... WOW

I remember those early first days and how much fun my Leaf was.....The best part is - 18 months later, it's STILL fun :mrgreen:
Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

goldbrick said:
I remember those early first days and how much fun my Leaf was.....The best part is - 18 months later, it's STILL fun :mrgreen:
Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

YES! So happy to hear this Goldbrick! Thanks and Happy New Year to you!!!

I have a small pillow that I place between the door and my left leg. It keeps my leg ever so lightly pressed against the steering wheel. Works great.
I’ve designed a more permanent solution and will post it here once I print it out on the 3D printer.

Back