Where are all the Leaf's?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltneu

I read this is the most popular EV in the world. I don't know who put out that statistic.
I have owned my 2018 SL for 2 months and I watch out on the highway, and parking lots for fellow Leaf owners.
I live in Westchester County, NY which is about 20 mile north of NYC. A well populated area.
I have not seen any Leaf's! Not one. None on the highway. None in parking lots.
Where are all the Leaf's? My Leaf is lonely!

There are tons of them here in Boulder, CO. At my work I think there are about 15 for a site of several hundred people. They work well here since the towns are compact and commutes tend to be a bit shorter than many locations.

There are lots in CA.

As I posted at http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23843&p=492401&hilit=direction#p492401 "Near home, I've sometimes headed down a nearby expressway to have 4 other Leafs on the same side of the road going in the same direction, all within a few hundred feet or less of me."

However, since the Bolt has come out, I've gradually seen Leaf lose its dominance. At the free public L2 charging I sometimes use on Fridays and weekends, when it still had 8 plugs available to the public (now only 2 :(), Leafs used to dominate. Eventually, it tended to become GM cars dominating but tended to be a mix of all brands.

My work used to have a ton of Leafs, but the % Leafs (out of all EVs/PHEVs at my work) has really dwindled now. We have over 500 vehicles in our EV/PHEV registry.

Lots of Leafers have jumped ship after their lease ended or after a few years to others (e.g. Bolt, Tesla). My next door neighbor and the house two houses away from me used to have Leafs. They went back at end of lease and they both now have Bolts.

I participated in my former leased '13 Leaf in https://insideevs.com/official-new-guinness-record-ev-parade-set-507-vehicles-pics-video/.

Surprisingly, on my trips to Japan in late 2015 and late 2017, I saw very few EVs and very few Leafs.

I totally understand. I live in one of the most densely populated states in the US and I think I've only seen one other Leaf in the wild in the past month. One of my co-workers used to own a Leaf and actually wondered if my Leaf was his old one (it wasn't). He has a Bolt now, which I've seen more of. I also see a ton of Teslas on the roads around here. There's a Nissan right up the road from me and at least two others that aren't super far away. Also, we have a decent amount of charging available... It's not great, but we've got it? So, you'd think I'd see a few more on the roads, but nope.
Of course it doesn't help that there is zero advertising for it. I didn't even know about it until my mechanic brought it up in my replacement car discussion. Outside of my one co-worker that actually owned one, no one I've talked to so far even knew that EVs were an option! I end up answering a lot of questions about how EVs work. It's pretty sad considered that NJ is basically all paved at this point and we're known for developing the Jersey barrier.

Baltneu said:
I live in Westchester County, NY

There's your problem. You live in one of the wealthiest counties in the state. I live farther upstate, but still have family in Putnam. When I'm downstate, I see tons of Teslas. No Leafs.

I'm in a backwater state, but we have a number of Tesla vehicles to be seen, but very rarely do I ever see another Leaf. I attribute it mostly due to the fact that we're not an urban area, the Leaf isn't good for rural or even suburban areas.

I live on Long Island, NY, and I agree. I see 1 leaf every 6 months or so. My local high volume car mechanic has seen no Leafs EXCEPT mine...

In the USA, Tesla and GM are outselling Nissan.

That said, in Minnesota, while I see more Tesla's than Leafs, I do see a Leaf every other day.

Figures that after my post, the very next day I saw one in the wild for sure (we weren't sure about the one we saw last month). They were actually leaving the parking lot when I was pulling in at work. We waved at each other.

thanks for all the replies, I am not so blue anymore (ha ha).

As one of the posters said, Westchester is an affluent county, I do see lots of Tesla's.

I have had to bring my car back to my selling dealer in Yonkers, NY a few times for the TCU board problem and when I am there I see no other Leaf's in for service. I guess that is a good thing.

However, while at the dealer, and spoken to a few service writers, they tell they will take good care of me when I come in for an oil change!

I put in a 240 volt line in the garage, hey, I feel like a pioneer.

We do have quite a few free charging stations near me. Within 5 miles there are at least 5 of them.

Free charging nearby? You're doing good. I never go a day without seeing another Leaf here in beautiful Durham, NC. You sir are indeed a pioneer.

Leafs are at North of your border mostly in Québec! :lol:

Nissan - Electric Division
Canada is the 4th largest market in the world, just behind the United States, Japan and Norway. And ... in Canada, 70% of sales are in Quebec!

http://www.aveq.ca/1/post/2018/11/qui-a-dit-que-le-quebec-etait-un-petit-marche-pour-les-voitures-electriques.html

coach81 said:
No Leafs at all in Oil country....
You should come visit the Bay Area. If you swung by my work between 11 am and 3 pm on a work day, esp. Monday, you'd be blown away.

Long ago, the EV charging spots made my work almost resemble a Nissan dealership. Now, it's quite a mix of vehicles but new Tesla Model 3's keep showing up (no plates yet). FAR more new Model 3's show up new than '18 or '19 Leafs.

Just the other day, I was one amongst 3 Leafs on the same side of the road. My record was one amongst 5, all within my sight. (This doesn't include being at EV charging spots or EVents.)

Back