two-phase 50amps electric switch for EV charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tagar

I will be installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet/socket for my Level 2 EV charger.

On average, it'll be about one connect-disconnect cycle a day.

To avoid wear, I'd like to install a two-phase switch that will disconnect this NEMA 14-50 outlet. (also it'll be much more convenient to use a switch as pulling this plug might be hard, especially for my wife)

It has to be a two-phase switch, rated to at least 250V / 50 amps. Since it'll be inside of a garage, it doesn't have to be weather-proof.

Spent an hour in Internet, and closest match I found is this -
wRzuL.jpg

but this one is only 20amps.

Also on an Australian web site found interesting switch+socket combined:
-
I4Btd.jpg

although it would be ideal, I don't expect to find one for NEMA 14-50 outlet.

So any ideas for just a two-phase switch rated for 50 amps would be greatly appreciated.

Can be either for surface or flush mounting.

PS. Also asked this question at https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/150887/two-phase-50amps-electric-switch

The EVSE is itself a switch; this is part of its function so that the charge cable is never energized unless the car is actively charging. It also protects against ground faults. The only "always hot" part is the very short cable from the receptacle to the unit. So, I am unclear as to why you want to pull the plug or add an additional switch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Safety

The GE disconnect switch is a good choice for isolating the receptacle, but you should not use it to stop/start charging. Always use the J1772 connector to start/stop charging by plugging/unplugging the car. The car stops drawing current when the release button is pressed on the J1772 handle so there is no arcing and no abrupt current interruption.

Nubo said:
The EVSE is itself a switch; this is part of its function so that the charge cable is never energized unless the car is actively charging. It also protects against ground faults. The only "always hot" part is the very short cable from the receptacle to the unit. So, I am unclear as to why you want to pull the plug or add an additional switch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772#Safety

Just being extra cautious

On a more minor side - charger, even when not connected to EV (not charging), still draws some current. On a more concerning side, I feel more comfortable if any electronics including an EV charger sitting on a 50amps two-phase breaker is disconnected when not used

GerryAZ said:
Always use the J1772 connector to start/stop charging by plugging/unplugging the car. The car stops drawing current when the release button is pressed on the J1772 handle so there is no arcing and no abrupt current interruption.

I understand it stops drawing most of the power when it's disconnect from a Leaf.
Although it continues to draw some standby power. Also the line that goes from receptacle to the charger continues to be energized with 240 Volts, on a 50 amps breaker.. that freaks me out a little bit.

I understand it stops drawing most of the power when it's disconnect from a Leaf. Although it continues to draw some standby power. Also the line that goes from receptacle to the charger continues to be energized with 240 Volts, on a 50 amps breaker.. that freaks me out a little bit.

Do you unplug your range or electric dryer when not in use?

Tagar said:
GerryAZ said:
Always use the J1772 connector to start/stop charging by plugging/unplugging the car. The car stops drawing current when the release button is pressed on the J1772 handle so there is no arcing and no abrupt current interruption.

I understand it stops drawing most of the power when it's disconnect from a Leaf.
Although it continues to draw some standby power. Also the line that goes from receptacle to the charger continues to be energized with 240 Volts, on a 50 amps breaker.. that freaks me out a little bit.
Wow, so you do you also unplug your electric range, electric dryer, electric hair drier, coffee pot, TV, etc. every day? I understand the concern, but these devices are designed to be plugged in and left. The electric receptacles, however, are not designed to be plugged and un-plugged very often. BTW, I use my manufacturer-supplied cord to charge everyday, leaving the cord plugged in all the time, except when traveling out-of-town.

LeftieBiker said:
I understand it stops drawing most of the power when it's disconnect from a Leaf. Although it continues to draw some standby power. Also the line that goes from receptacle to the charger continues to be energized with 240 Volts, on a 50 amps breaker.. that freaks me out a little bit.
Do you unplug your range or electric dryer when not in use?
Alarm clock and computer too?

Reddy said:
BTW, I use my manufacturer-supplied cord to charge everyday, leaving the cord plugged in all the time, except when traveling out-of-town.

Why do you unlpug it when you're traveling out of town? It's designed to be plugged everyday :lol:

I totally get your examples on electric range and electric dryer. Those made me think, and I almost agree with you.
Better examples though - hot tub that has similar to EV voltage/ amperage, and The National Electrical Code (NEC) specifies
installation of an approved manual disconnect device adjacent to the hot tub, at least 5 feet away, and within line of sight.

I think NEC hasn't caught up yet with EV chargers, and IMO it might be mandated later by the National Electrical Code to have
a similar to hot tubs disconnect device.

Back to the subject, I got some good ideas at
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/150887/two-phase-50amps-electric-switch

I started this thread just to brainstorm ideas. Thank you everyone. That was a good feedback.

IIRC, the NEC requires a disconnect for EVSEs if the breaker box is distant from the 240 outlet (I don't remember if it's line of sight or a set distance) but in that case you don't use the switch normally - it's for emergencies and to make servicing easier and safer. If you have a breaker panel somewhere near your 240 outlet, that's all you need. Remember than an EVSE isn't sitting in a tub full of water in which you will be bathing, and that the better EVSEs have GFCI built in.

I keep my EVSE supplied by Nissan plugged in all the time to the 14-50 NEMA receptacle.
Never heard of unplugging when not in use. It does not draw any power until plugged into the car.
Good luck.

Baltneu said:
I keep my EVSE supplied by Nissan plugged in all the time to the 14-50 NEMA receptacle.
Never heard of unplugging when not in use. It does not draw any power until plugged into the car.
Good luck.
I live in a lightning prone area and sometimes it's a good idea to unplug the EVSE when not in use. Otherwise you're correct...it doesn't draw power just sitting there.

Tagar said:
Better examples though - hot tub that has similar to EV voltage/ amperage, and The National Electrical Code (NEC) specifies
installation of an approved manual disconnect device adjacent to the hot tub, at least 5 feet away, and within line of sight.

I think NEC hasn't caught up yet with EV chargers, and IMO it might be mandated later by the National Electrical Code to have
Actually, the NEC has had language in it governing disconnect requirements for an EVSE for a while. It says (625.23) "For electric vehicle supply
equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location." Note that standard US 120V/240V household electrical service is 120V to ground.

So the NEC says that a disconnect in not required in your situation. It would be required for, e.g., a Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 70 amp or larger circuit, though.

Cheers, Wayne

theothertom said:
Baltneu said:
Good luck.
I live in a lightning prone area and sometimes it's a good idea to unplug the EVSE when not in use. Otherwise you're correct...it doesn't draw power just sitting there.

Isn’t that one of the reasons we install circuit breakers in the panel?

Baltneu said:
theothertom said:
Baltneu said:
Good luck.

Lightning just jumped 1,000 feet through the air.... if it direct hits your house, the breaker will not matter. Unplugging may not matter.

smkettner said:
Baltneu said:
theothertom said:

Lightning just jumped 1,000 feet through the air.... if it direct hits your house, the breaker will not matter. Unplugging may not matter.

Lightning is a threat without directly hitting your house.
If it was somewhat close, electric lines can have induced a good amount of voltage there too.

wwhitney said:
Tagar said:

Actually, the NEC has had language in it governing disconnect requirements for an EVSE for a while. It says (625.23) "For electric vehicle supply
equipment rated more than 60 amperes or more than 150 volts to ground, the disconnecting means shall be provided and installed in a readily accessible location." Note that standard US 120V/240V household electrical service is 120V to ground.

So the NEC says that a disconnect in not required in your situation. It would be required for, e.g., a Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 70 amp or larger circuit, though.

Cheers, Wayne

Good point. Didn't know about 625.23

Thanks Wayne

Tagar said:
smkettner said:
Baltneu said:

Lightning is a threat without directly hitting your house.
If it was somewhat close, electric lines can have induced a good amount of voltage there too.

Lightning hit a tree about 3 meters away from a house we were living in many years ago.

It was amazing all the things that needed replacement. Several incandescent light bulbs, one that was switched off. Every power strip we owned. Many things plugged in, TVs radios, clocks and such. The telephones. Nothing unplugged, however.

Nothing unplugged, however.

Yeah, lightning isn't Bad Magic - it can't plug things back in and then fry them, and it can't jump several feet or more inside the house from plug to socket. Maybe if the EVSE were unplugged but the plug was still just inches away from the socket, and aligned with it...

Back