Clarification of California's extended PHEV warranty in regards to the Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoupeFan

Hello all. New here. Attempted to check past threads for answers, couldn't find one. To be brief, I have until November 12 to utilize a private clean air vehicle grant that I've been sitting on for awhile now. I think I'm good with Leaf battery degradation questions after reading numerous threads. My remaining question is more long term. Does the California extended warranty of 10 years/150000 miles extend to the Nissan Leaf battery and/or power train? I'm reading conflicting accounts.

Your questions are confusing. Leaf isn't a PHEV.

What model year are you referring to?
CoupeFan said:
. Does the California extended warranty of 10 years/150000 miles extend to the Nissan Leaf battery and/or power train? I'm reading conflicting accounts.
No. Never heard powertrain/EV system nor battery being covered for that period on a Leaf.

Powertrain/EV system warranty is 5 years/60K miles, regardless of state. Battery defects warranty is 8 years/100K miles.

Capacity warranty is 5 years/60K miles for 24 kWh batteries. For 30 and 40 kWh, it's 8 years/100K miles. You need to be below 9 bars prior to expiration.

Warranty booklet is at https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide.

CARB mandates that Hybrids receive a 10yr/150K battery warranty. EV's(BEV) do not qualify.

I'm unclear if PHEV's also qualify for the 10/150K battery warranty since I don't own so I have no personal need to be aware.

CARB mandates that Hybrids receive a 10yr/150K battery warranty. EV's(BEV) do not qualify.

thanks Herding Electrons. That's how I was reading it. Too bad the California regs dont extend to full electrics.

HerdingElectrons said:
CARB mandates that Hybrids receive a 10yr/150K battery warranty.
No it doesn’t. That only applies to AT-PZEV and enhanced AT-PZEV vehicles. There are numerous hybrids both plug in and non that don’t have the above long warranty.

I got to use that warranty on my 2005 Prius when the traction battery went out at 128k. Has to be a hybrid. It's because when the battery goes out on those cars, they can no longer meet emissions standards. EVs always meet emissions standards (if they can run at all).

Two examples of (non-plugin) hybrids which aren’t AT-PZEVs and thus also did NOT receive a 10 year/150K hybrid battery warranty even in CA: Prius c and Lexus CT. Don’t know if it’s changed but it definitely was the case when they were introduced.

2011 Volt didn’t meet enhanced AT-PZEV requirements so it also didn’t receive a long battery warranty nor was it ever eligible for CA HOV stickers. There are still PHEVs sold/leased new today that are in this bucket. Examples I'm pretty sure of in this bucket are the BMW 3-series PHEV and both Porsche PHEVs (PHEV versions of Panamera and Cayenne).

For Volt, it wasn’t rectified until model year 2012: https://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/16/new-enhat-pzev-chevy-volt-ready-for-california-hov-access-extra/.

cwerdna said:
HerdingElectrons said:
CARB mandates that Hybrids receive a 10yr/150K battery warranty.
No it doesn’t. That only applies to AT-PZEV and enhanced AT-PZEV vehicles. There are numerous hybrids both plug in and non that don’t have the above long warranty.

Ah, thanks for the knowledge. The devil is always in those pesky details.

Latest posts

Back