Proud owner of a 2015 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaanha

I'm a new proud owner of a new (well new to me!) 2015 Leaf, with 16K Miles. I've had it for just a little over 2 days now and so far I've absolutely loved. I've done tons of research prior to getting it and tons after. However, I did have one simple question. I know EV's require very minimum service, aside from the basic stuff like rotating the tires and changing the brakes. My question concerns the coolant in the car, is there a specific antifreeze that should be used in it and should it be checked like you would check a standard gas-powered car? We're on the verge of starting to get cold weather where I live and I wanted to make sure my new car has no issues this winter.

Thanks for all of the help!

Yes you should check it and top it off as needed. I have had to add coolant to my 2015 SV several times. The blue coolant that Nissan puts in it is somewhat difficult to find and other long life coolants work.

On a 2015, you should not have to worry about coolant for a few years... On a gas car, coolant lasts for 4-5 years, and the car antifreeze heats up ALOT more than the Leaf. I cant say that I have ever felt the heater hoses even warm... so I would not even think of changing before 2020-21..

The last time I checked, Nissan recommended a coolant change every 15 years or 120,000 miles. For something that lasts that long, I'd just buy the coolant from the dealer. You can probably find the same stuff a bit cheaper from a third party but you really shouldn't need much over the lifetime of the car so why bother?

I've only had to add a couple of ounces of fluid to the reservoir in 4 years; I figured distilled water was sufficient and wouldn't appreciably alter the concentration.

I never had to add coolant to my 2013 Leaf in just under 5 years of driving it. The dealership may have topped it off the two times they saw it, but I kind of doubt it.

BillHolz said:
Yes you should check it and top it off as needed. I have had to add coolant to my 2015 SV several times.

I had my Leaf for 3 years (well, technically 35 months) and like Leftie I never had to add coolant, and I live in SoCal (and in a warmer part of it as well). I've got a feeling your car has a small coolant leak somewhere.

2015 - excellent choice and good find on the mileage. I have the same now for 12 months and 2 weeks and its been terrific. As you probably know, the range will go down quite a lot in cold weather, but will return in the spring..

Back