gen1 Leaf blue paint color

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrumpe

I tried to find more info about the blue color searching in the forum but without success. I have a few questions:
- on my plate the color code is RAT but in the Factory Service Manual it is BRAT. What is the difference?
- in the Factory Service Manual the paint type is 3PM: 3-Coat pearl metallic - does it mean that the first (base) coat is blue metallic, then the second coat is pearl coat and the third one is the clear coat? Or it means that there are two coats with different type of pearls/metallic micro particles over the base coat?
- what pearls are used - Candy Pearls(pigmented) or Ghost pearls(not pigmented)?
I am asking because my local paint shop can not match the paint. Their paint job looks like more cold blue having one type of white/translucent pearls and the original paint seems more warm/green blue with two types of pearls - white/translucent and green ones.

In the past I've gotten automotive paint from paintscratch.com and they've always been good matches.

They refer to this paint job as "tricoat" and it appears the 3 layers are
- basecoat
- midcoat
- clearcoat

All on top of a primer, of course.

https://www.paintscratch.com/touch-up-paint-directions/tricoat.htm

Note there have been a number of blues, there was a slight change in 2013 from the original "blue ocean"/RAT to RBJ then later there was "morningsky blue"/RBE. what model year is your LEAF?

If you don't know your colour code and you want to find the right car paint, it's easy with Paint Match Pro. You can search for your car by make, colour and year, and you'll see which paints match your car's colour. Then look for a stockist near you and go and buy your perfect match. For more info you can use this website to having a wonderful assistant in writing and even you can get the guidelines too.

Thanks for the answers. I know the color code, it is RAT. The near paint shop which prepared the paint used this color code but unfortunately it is a little bit different. I guess the paint shop did poor job by not mixing the perls with a little amount of the blue paint. Or it may be the paint is poor quality one. Anyway next time I am going to use the service of some Nissan dealer.

rrumpe said:
I am asking because my local paint shop can not match the paint. Their paint job looks like more cold blue having one type of white/translucent pearls and the original paint seems more warm/green blue with two types of pearls - white/translucent and green ones.

The clear coat of my (outdoor) car has yellowed significantly enough over the last two years that it would make a match for all but the most expert of paint mixologists an impossibility. If your car sits out, I would suspect that you're going to face the same problem.

See the post here for pictures of my car. I had the scratched and faded rear spoiler repainted. Note how it matches the door jambs (which obviously don't get any sunlight) but not the current body color:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23733&p=496245#p496245

Back