EV Comparison Tool - Did I get the Leaf right? :)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarenRei

Hi everyone! I've been working on a tool to help people who are thinking about getting a "next generation" EV decide which one fits their needs best. The data so far is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KxeJsSoqptmlaJXNvP1eO25-j31oOz4eStoPnz0YNRY/edit?usp=sharing

Right now, it's just a simple datasheet, but I'm going to modify it to have dropdowns so people can select and compare configs, generate graphs, etc. A number of websites may let you compare a few features, but as you can see from the above, I'm trying to let people compare almost everything ;)

Part of the problem is, I've never even ridden in most of the vehicles on the list, let alone owned them so I could really use some feedback from actual owners. I've tried to fill out the data as best as I can from "build your own" sites, users' manuals, google searching, etc, but I've probably gotten a few things wrong. Can anyone be bothered to look over the data and see if I screwed up anywhere concerning the Leaf? :)

Note that a number of fields have comments (triangle in the upper right corner of a cell). Particularly concerning the Leaf: since this is about "next generation" EVs, I based it on the claims that have been made about what is being planned for the 2019 Leaf "E-Plus", such as:

https://pushevs.com/2018/07/18/nissan-confirms-that-the-2019-nissan-leaf-e-plus-is-coming/

For the most part, I assume that most stats from the current generation will carry over, but I increased the weight for the new battery size.

My feeling is that it's a little too mashed together at the top, and then things just get too complicated. What are all those numbers in the columns between the written info on top, and the written info on the bottom...?

I don't understand what you mean. "Written info"?

Columns are the vehicle (labeled at the top). Rows are information about that vehicle, labeled on the left (and with comments adding more info).

This isn't the final version, this is just the datasheet which I can use to make the final version. I'm mainly just trying to make sure I got pricing / packages / features / etc correct.

The new version is vastly better. I'm talking about the columns of apparently unlabeled numbers I saw in the middle of the first sheet. Maybe it was an artifact of viewing it with Firefox, but it looked intentional.

Might have been a firefox issue :)

Definitely let me know if you see anything that looks off! Want to make sure I have a fair and accurate comparison for everything.

First off, WOW! that's a lot of information must have taken quite a bit of time, thanks for the effort.
I'm not too familiar with the '19 Leaf but are you sure it has a 11Kw charger(line 87) :shock: 46a@240v in the US :eek: Not that I wouldn't like it but you'd need a 60a circuit to supply that kind of amperage, very rare indeed.
I also wonder why max regen is so low with the Leaf as many other mfgs. :? In fact the Leaf is the lowest of all the cars you've listed, more than half many others :(
For line 168 (portable charge cable) now I'm not so sure of the '19 but the '18 Leaf(depending on trim or options) comes with a 6.6kw or 27.5a EVSE.
Unless I missed it as you have lots of info, but I did look twice, I think it would be useful to many if your chart showed which cars had some sort of TMS, other than just air like our Leafs. In fact for many owners of older Leafs in hotter climates I'd think active TMS would be near the top of their priorities :)

jjeff said:
First off, WOW! that's a lot of information must have taken quite a bit of time, thanks for the effort.
I'm not too familiar with the '19 Leaf but are you sure it has a 11Kw charger(line 87) :shock: 46a@240v in the US :eek: Not that I wouldn't like it but you'd need a 60a circuit to supply that kind of amperage, very rare indeed.
I also wonder why max regen is so low with the Leaf as many other mfgs. :? In fact the Leaf is the lowest of all the cars you've listed, more than half many others :(
For line 168 (portable charge cable) now I'm not so sure of the '19 but the '18 Leaf(depending on trim or options) comes with a 6.6kw or 27.5a EVSE.
Unless I missed it as you have lots of info, but I did look twice, I think it would be useful to many if your chart showed which cars had some sort of TMS, other than just air like our Leafs. In fact for many owners of older Leafs in hotter climates I'd think active TMS would be near the top of their priorities :)

11 KW charger is probably European spec. Expect a faster charger but likely nothing over 8 KW

Hi - thanks for the responses!

11kW is indeed what's being rumoured for the 2019 Leaf E-Plus:

https://pushevs.com/2018/07/18/nissan-confirms-that-the-2019-nissan-leaf-e-plus-is-coming/

Of course, none of the stats have been confirmed yet. That would of course be 11kW three phase, not single phase.

Based on your question about regen, I went and did some more searching. While most people I'm finding are claiming that 30kW is max, I did find one person saying that they got 43.3kW:

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=19459

I'll trust that that's legit and update the data. :)

I'll update the portable EVSE; most sites I was finding were saying that it was only limited to 120V. Good change!

2019 Leaf is supposed to have a TMS. I'll check into the others and see if any of them don't - and if some don't I'll add a row for that.

Let me know if you catch anything else. All in all, if the 2019 Leaf lives up to what's been leaked / rumoured about it so far, it's going to be quite competitive!

Quick question: someone on another site said that the Leaf can show realtime charger status information - eg. whether chargers are free or not. Is this correct? If so, I got that one wrong too, and will update. Some of the data I've come across related to this is confusing.

Oh, and said individual also stated that you can use ProPilot off-highway, although everything I've seen has stated that it's only rated for use on highways. Is this basically a "off-label" usage?

When I test drove a 2018, I used ProPilot off highway on a stretch of road that is 2 lanes each direction, separated by a double yellow line, with a 50 MPH speed limit.

The 2018 Leaf has a feature that allows it to display the status of each charger, such as whether they are free and whether they are in use. The trouble is, the few times I have tried to use that it has given me an error stating that the information was currently available.

I just got back from a 800 mile trip in my Leaf, and we used ProPilot most of the time off the freeway. It had little trouble engaging on 2-lane highways even if there was just a dashed yellow center line, as long as the markings were clear. We turned it off whenever the road got twisty, though, because it's just not smart enough to slow down going into a sharp corner.

Back