timing your charge timer + preheat

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specialgreen

Last winter, I noticed that when I charged and preheated the car, I would usually start the day with 97% charge. Preheating seemed to eat 3% of SOC, even though the car was plugged-in. I was wondering if this was because charging had already completed and shut-off, before the preheat started. And even though the car was still plugged-in, it was not actively drawing power, so the preheat was done from battery; and worse, the car did not restart charging to fill the battery back up. (just a guess)

Once again (there are other threads on this) the car uses only the battery for heat, including preheating. If the EVSE provides enough power to replace it, no charge is lost. If not, then the difference between what the car requires for heat and what the EVSE provides is taken from the battery, as a net loss. I'm guessing you are using the 120 volt EVSE that came with the car, and are preheating for about 10 minutes.

In bitter cold temps I've noticed I need at least 18a 240v to break even, a common cheap 16a L2 EVSE will ever so slightly lose charge while using preheat, again in very cold temps where the heater runs 100% of the time. With any L1 setup you'll lose charge in these conditions faster with a lower amperage EVSE. Now in warmer temps when the heater can cycle and for sure when using the heat pump(in such equipped Leafs) you might be able to break even using a L1 EVSE.

Now in warmer temps when the heater can cycle and for sure when using the heat pump(in such equipped Leafs) you might be able to break even using a L1 EVSE.

Except that they seem to have programmed them to run the PTC heater whenever you preheat...

LeftieBiker said:
Now in warmer temps when the heater can cycle and for sure when using the heat pump(in such equipped Leafs) you might be able to break even using a L1 EVSE.

Except that they seem to have programmed them to run the PTC heater whenever you preheat...
Ahh, I forget about that :(
I think it was speculated it may have been done to keep the louder fan from coming on during preheat, of course wouldn't that come on during morning pre-cool? for those in very hot climates.......

Back