I miss my Leaf!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IssacZachary

Now that it's been all summer without the Leaf and I've been driving it's ICE replacement for nearly a month I really miss my Leaf.
  • Zipping around silently on pure electric energy was fun! Now I have to hear the engine whine as I go up hills.
  • With temperatures already dipping down into the 30's (Fahrenheit) in the mornings I am starting to miss the rear seat heaters, the heated steering wheel and especially the cabin pre-heat function. Just wait until it's -30°F!
  • Those occasional long trips made it feel more like an adventure than a torture. I was able to (had to) stop and smell the roses at each charging station which made me feel so much better behind the wheel than having to drive for hours on end with no excuse to pull over and refresh.
  • Knowing that the car was charged up each day actually added some piece of mind. Not like the day after we got our current ICE and my wife freaked out because the F almost looks like an E in this car and then couldn't get more than a gallon forced into the tank only to discover we had also used too low of octane for the first few fills.
  • And for me, I miss bragging about the "fuel" costs! At 10 cents per kWh and so much free charging I could go for hundreds of miles on just a few dollars.
  • Also, not having to worry about maintenance was such a blessing. Looking in my current car's owner's manual it surprisingly says that it's due for a transmission flush! I thought new cars came with "life long" transmission fluid! And I got the whole pile of service records for my ICE car and can't find one single entry where they replaced the air cleaner filter, which should have been done a few times already. And it already needs and oil change of course. Time to get my hands greasy. :cry:

I have a 2006 Grand Caravan ICE vehicle (stinky FARTmobile) and a 2013 Nissan Leaf (sweet smelling and 100% EV!) and I LOVE NOT BUYING GASOLINE!! And not dealing with all that ICE support things like oil changes, leaks, etc.

I don't know if I can EVER not own and drive and EV after having owned and driven one! My conscience will NOT let me go back to 2nd Industrial Revolution FARTBOXES! :-(

John Kuthe...

JohnKuthe said:
I have a 2006 Grand Caravan ICE vehicle (stinky FARTmobile) and a 2013 Nissan Leaf (sweet smelling and 100% EV!) and I LOVE NOT BUYING GASOLINE!! And not dealing with all that ICE support things like oil changes, leaks, etc.

I don't know if I can EVER not own and drive and EV after having owned and driven one! My conscience will NOT let me go back to 2nd Industrial Revolution FARTBOXES! :-(

John Kuthe...
Ya. The original plan was to never go back. But now I have to drive some 150 miles per day, and for reasons very important to me. And I can't afford a 200 mile EV right now. So a hybrid is as close as it gets for me.

Every time we go by a Leaf my wife sighs and says how much she liked ours.

Anyhow, I do wonder what EV I might get in the future. Another Leaf? Right now it's hard to say. In a single month I did nearly 5,000 miles in my Avalon. I did about that the month before too in my Golf before I got the Avalon. That's 166 miles per day average. First I have to figure out what EV can meet my needs, or I have to change my circumstances and go back to an average of 30 miles per day. Well, my circumstances aren't changing any time soon. A 300 mile range EV would work for me right now most of the time. I could do with 200 if I could occasionally use a DCQC station of some sort in between some of the places I go. But so far there are only plans for such stations, even Tesla stations.

The next thing would be to see if I could afford it. Maybe in the future, a used 5 year old 60kWh Leaf? By that time hopefully those stations will be installed.

Back