rawlins02
Delivery Date: 03 Feb 2017

Now 2 fast chargers down in my area

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:35 am

I live in western Massachusetts. Two weeks ago I stopped by the dealer where I bought my 2014 Leaf early last year. Looking for a quick charge. I was told they are hoping Nissan will soon fix it. Last night I stopped by the Big Y in Greenfield on my way home from a 80 mile round trip. Now that fast charger is down. Had to sit at a L2 there for >30 minutes to get home, at 11:30 pm.

No new fast chargers have come online in my area (within a 30 mile radius) in the past 18 months. I certainly hope this is not a trend. Can't say now that I'd recommend a EV with a range of less than 200 miles.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Re: Now 2 fast chargers down in my area

Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:02 am

rawlins02 wrote:No new fast chargers have come online in my area (within a 30 mile radius) in the past 18 months.

You mean, no new CHAdeMO have come online in your area. The Hadley Supercharger is new just this April. It looks like 1 or 2 new CCS have been installed in Springfield in the last 18 months.

I used to have 2 CHAdeMO at Nissan dealers near me. One or the other was always broken. Recently, one of the dealerships moved across the street and just never put the CHAdeMO back up again. And with Electrify America installing 4 or 8 CCS, where just one is a shared CCS/CHAdeMO, it's becoming obvious that CHAdeMO is an also-ran.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi
Tesla S 75D (3/17) 29K mi
Tesla X 100D (ordered, 12/18 delivery)
3 reservation canceled

like2bike
Delivery Date: 19 Mar 2013
Leaf Number: 00581

Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:27 am

The CHAdeMO situation is better on long Island. EVgo has some chargers in good locations which they maintain very well. Nissan dealers have been getting worse at maintaining their chargers. Here are some I've used

Nissan 112 has been down for a while now :( .
Garden City Nissan seems to be dropping their charger. Last time I was there, it was down and I got the feeling nothing would be done to fix it when I asked. Now it's gone from Plugshare :shock: .
Huntington Nissan seems to trip it's breaker. I have never had any success using it, but never asked for help with it. Apparently, you have to keeping asking for them to reset the breaker :( .
Koeppel's charger has always worked :) .

New York State has 2 chargers at the rt 495 rest stop. It is CHAdeMO only which was strange since it was installed just before the Bolt came out. They seem to need to be reset about once a month and there is no one there that can do that for you so it then down for a few days. They were both down recently after a lot of lightning storms came through so I'm guessing power issues can cause the problem :roll: .
2013 Leaf S on Long Island, NY
Delivered 3/18/2013, bought off-lease 2/20/2016 $9619
Schneider EVlink level 2 charging

DaveinOlyWA
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199

Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:06 am

So not in Chicopee area then? Because that station is only a few months old.
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rawlins02
Delivery Date: 03 Feb 2017

Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:03 pm

DaveinOlyWA wrote:So not in Chicopee area then? Because that station is only a few months old.

North Amherst. There are a few I've used in the Springfield area. Not a problem down there. Nothing available when you get north of Amherst and Northampton. The CHAdeMO at the Greenfield Big Y is right on I-91. Very convenient, if it's working.

henrydehoja
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2018

Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:25 am

Things are better here in Eastern Mass, but I still wish they had more fast chargers. There are more L2 chargers popping up along the state, but fast chargers need to be addressed more for long distance travelers. Even if they limited the fast charger locations to areas close to major highways, I think that would still help tremendously.
2018 Nissan Leaf S w/QC
Placed in action: 9/2018

DarthPuppy
Delivery Date: 11 Aug 2013

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:17 am

I hate to say it, but that is probably just part of the trend. I don't rely upon fast chargers because there are so few of them and their reliability is a known issue - even here in California where we are arguably a leader in this.

It is very sad to see just one or two kiosks installed at a location. Even if they worked 100% of the time, that few can easily be occupied when needed. Conversely, the spots I've seen that also have Tesla stations have many more spots available. If you are going to make the investment to set up a location, the incremental cost of a decent number of chargers is worthwhile if the company is serious about EV success. And for the non-Tesla group, this is even more critical. The lack of infrastructure support does really suggest a lack of commitment and is hampering EV adoption. This is an area that Tesla understands well but everyone else seems to miss.
'13 Leaf SL
'18 Honda Clarity Touring PHEV

specialgreen
Delivery Date: 26 Mar 2017

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:56 pm

jlv wrote: And with Electrify America installing 4 or 8 CCS, where just one is a shared CCS/CHAdeMO, it's becoming obvious that CHAdeMO is an also-ran.

Honda dropped Chademo in Sept. 2017. That left the LEAF, Kia Soul-EV and Mitsubishi iMIEV as Chademo BEVs. i-MIEV production was ended in August 2017, leaving Kia and Nissan. Now Kia is switching to CCS for 2019. So Chademo will finally be a LEAF-only connector. My hope would be that Nissan changes the Smyrna GA plant for the 60kwhr 2020 model, to either:
- have CCS where the J1775 is now (so the car would be dual Chademo+CCS)
- or to let customers order the connector that works best for their part of the country
- or change from Chademo to CCS, but leave Chademo as a special option (they will still have the Chademo parts in their domestic Japan model)

To be fair, That "1 Chademo plus 7 CCS chargers" being installed by Electrify America does not reflect BEV driver demand: there are still more Chademo BEVs on the roads in the US than CCS BEVs. If you exclude Tesla and PHEV vehicles, then I think you'd get about
- 124k LEAFs sold in the US (most but not all with Chademo);
- about 38k Bolts with CCS
- 37k BMW i3 with CCS
- Soul EV, eGolf, Focus-E (each less than 5k, I think)
...so maybe 115k Chademo vs 85k CCS (ballpark guess)

Going forwards, CCS BEVs are outselling Chademo BEVs, but by less than 1k cars per month. At that rate, it would take 2.5 years for CCS to catch-up. But my guess is that Nissan is going to have a hard time staying only 1k cars/month behind all CCS sales combined. If _any_ non-Tesla manufacturer is able to produce a new BEV model in high volume and sell in all 50 states, they will get some market share.
Last edited by specialgreen on Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

cwerdna
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013

Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 pm

^^^
Well, Electrify America is apparently run by VW, so obviously, they're out to screw competitors w/CHAdeMO and try to tilt things in their favor.

You left out the Outlander PHEV which comes w/CHAdeMO. You shouldn't totally exclude Tesla as the S and X can use their CHAdeMO adapter. Not sure when it'll finally work with the 3.

Some of the Frankenplug crowd like VW and BMW include CHAdeMO in their Japanese market vehicles like the e-Golf and i3.

Nissan's Smyrna is in TN, not GA. TN is also where Nissan North America HQ is.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

jlv
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2014
Leaf Number: 424487

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:36 am

specialgreen wrote:To be fair, That "1 Chademo plus 7 CCS chargers" being installed by Electrify America does not reflect driver demand: there are still more Chademo BEVs on the roads in the US than CCS BEVs.
Going forwards, CCS is outselling Chademo

It's really 8 CCS Chargers, where 1 unit is a combo that additionally has a CHAdeMO connector. (And Murphy's Law nearly guarantees when you pull in with your LEAF, the only unit in use will be the combo unit with an eGolf or Bolt on the CCS side.)

But EA deploying mostly CCS does reflect driver demand. CCS is outselling CHAdeMO. That there are 60K more old LEAFs around doesn't really matter, since they aren't going to use the EA network for it's intended purpose. Almost no one is taking a small battery LEAF on the type of trip that the EA network is intended to enable. LEAF owners would probably use the EA stations if they are around locally, but then the cost of charging at them comes into play and those owners are probably just better off charging at home.
'13 SL+Prem (mfg 12/13, leased 4/14, bought 5/17, sold 11/18) 34K mi
Tesla S 75D (3/17) 29K mi
Tesla X 100D (ordered, 12/18 delivery)
3 reservation canceled

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”