Potentially Totaled 2015 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

booper

My wife was just involved in a collision to the front of our Leaf - not at fault, but waiting to see the police report for confirmation. Fortunately nobody was injured. Extensive damage to front - tow truck driver thought it was a Total. However, he was able to drive it (with lots of grinding metal) to get it in position to tow. Interior seems fine except for the steering wheel airbag which deployed. All electronics are functioning.

Battery should be a Lizard (2015 SV), SOH in the 93-95% range, about 21k miles on the car. I am the original owner, purchased in Dec 2015, and stayed its entire life in Seattle.

Update 8/6/2018: Mileage 22,864 SOH: 94.16% Hx: 87.88%

Anyways, wondering if anyone would be interested in this for a project, or even just for the battery.

Insurance company pays you off, they own the car. They are in the business of making money, not saving your butt. If you think they are unaware of the car's value with an intact battery pack, you are mistaken. I have seen them go as little as $2500 but that was a while ago and the market on anything EV is VERY volatile.

Insurance company pays you off, they own the car.

You can always get a payoff quote that includes you keeping the car. It's sometimes as little as $400 less, with the car thrown in. I imagine it depends on the insurance company.

I once found a good used fleet car for a couple. They drove it about a year, and it got rear-ended. It was a Hornet, and built like a tank, so they took the payoff and the car, drove it another year, got hit again, and this time the car was truly totaled. They got paid again, and ended up netting about $2k on the car. When my Mom's car got totaled, we bought it back for about $400, and I drove it for another year. You get the idea.

I was wondering if there is any interest in the vehicle from any members here, and if it would be worthwhile from a cost perspective. Thx!

Updated original post with mileage and battery stats.

booper said:
My wife was just involved in a collision to the front of our Leaf - not at fault, but waiting to see the police report for confirmation. Fortunately nobody was injured. Extensive damage to front - tow truck driver thought it was a Total. However, he was able to drive it (with lots of grinding metal) to get it in position to tow. Interior seems fine except for the steering wheel airbag which deployed. All electronics are functioning.

Battery should be a Lizard (2015 SV), SOH in the 93-95% range, about 21k miles on the car. I am the original owner, purchased in Dec 2015, and stayed its entire life in Seattle.

Update 8/6/2018: Mileage 22,864 SOH: 94.16% Hx: 87.88%

Anyways, wondering if anyone would be interested in this for a project, or even just for the battery.

DM me for what you're looking for for the battery. Unfortunately, I'm not quite yet ready to buy a battery, but my 60% SOH battery is really starting to get on my nerves...

There's definitely value in the battery if you can get the car back from the insurance company. If the airbags deployed, it's almost certainly a total.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Has the insurance company provided a price yet?

Over 6k for the salvaged vehicle. Seems very high, so was not going to consider keeping it. They are offering 13k as actual car value, which I am considering contesting.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in the salvage at that level, please PM me.

Dave, just read through your blog experience with your S30 total. Thinking of going to the S40 as you did, or possibly all the way to SL40.

$13k doesn't honestly sound that bad to me... For instance, this:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/739646072/overview/

That said, I would not pay $6k for the wrecked Leaf...

booper said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Has the insurance company provided a price yet?

Over 6k for the salvaged vehicle. Seems very high, so was not going to consider keeping it. They are offering 13k as actual car value, which I am considering contesting.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in the salvage at that level, please PM me.

Dave, just read through your blog experience with your S30 total. Thinking of going to the S40 as you did, or possibly all the way to SL40.

Yeah times have changed. I did not inquire as to salvaged value of mine... wish I would have but had zero interest in salvaging anything. Due to your damage being so localized, it would be easy to part out a significant portion of yours. But $6K is too much when most would take only the battery. It would be a gold mine with someone who needs battery and had a fender bender with same color car but that is a lot of requirements.

Take the money and run (after your negotiation, of course). If you really want a LEAF of the same vintage, you can find one for that kind of money, I would think...without the headache of dealing with a salvage title and repair risks.

Back