Exposed wire block under the hood?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

be236

I have Nissan LEAF 2017 S, bought used as CPO from dealer.

I opened the hood and noticed a small block with exposed many colourful thin wires, right behind the 12v car battery.

Should it be like that? Isnt there a cover to protect those wires sticking out?

How do you upload a file here? I dont see any "file upload" command?

Here's a link to what the car looks like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+leaf+under+the+hood&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CZDvVwhYiVhsIjg8fsFPMnhb9gP8F_1Jd8Vg6PNow5l1d1rcHaosM9cr3CC3w2V1q5SXPAhGtkBKU5jXGMbyHejkzTyoSCTx-wU8yeFv2EdOUM94r6KncKhIJA_1wX8l3xWDoR6A8SAycbAwYqEgk82jDmXV3WtxEPLyBlce1KRioSCQdqiwz1yvcIETfF-uXGs4RhKhIJLfDZXWrlJc8RjCiygJ5qW-wqEgkCEa2QEpTmNRE6_1qqXiig0fioSCcYxvId6OTNPEenITWjPPI6O&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjzwZ6VpaXcAhUM7IMKHSboDcUQ9C96BAgBEBg&biw=1632&bih=834&dpr=1#imgrc=B2qLDPXK9wiPpM:

^^^
You can't w/o paying for membership. :( See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/payments.php. (I've been a member on and off.) Otherwise, you'll need to find another place to host your image.

To answer your question, yes, that seems normal. My leased '13 and my used '13 were both like that.

Looking at your pictures just made me realize I've had my Leaf for a year now and I have never looked under the hood. :mrgreen:
I do ALL my own ICE car maintenance and one of my reasons for buying a Leaf was the low maintenance required. So far, so good...

be236 said:
Here's a link to what the car looks like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+leaf+under+the+hood&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CZDvVwhYiVhsIjg8fsFPMnhb9gP8F_1Jd8Vg6PNow5l1d1rcHaosM9cr3CC3w2V1q5SXPAhGtkBKU5jXGMbyHejkzTyoSCTx-wU8yeFv2EdOUM94r6KncKhIJA_1wX8l3xWDoR6A8SAycbAwYqEgk82jDmXV3WtxEPLyBlce1KRioSCQdqiwz1yvcIETfF-uXGs4RhKhIJLfDZXWrlJc8RjCiygJ5qW-wqEgkCEa2QEpTmNRE6_1qqXiig0fioSCcYxvId6OTNPEenITWjPPI6O&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjzwZ6VpaXcAhUM7IMKHSboDcUQ9C96BAgBEBg&biw=1632&bih=834&dpr=1#imgrc=B2qLDPXK9wiPpM:

Seems to be normal; mine is like that. That location is well-protected from road spray. My LEAF is 4 years old and there isn't a trace of water droplets up there and I've driven through quite a bit of muddy water. I don't think it's a problem.

cwerdna said:
^^^
You can't w/o paying for membership. :( See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/payments.php. (I've been a member on and off.) Otherwise, you'll need to find another place to host your image.

To answer your question, yes, that seems normal. My leased '13 and my used '13 were both like that.

Thanks for the info about not able to upload photo unless I'm a paid member....

Well, at least I got my answer.. just seems strange to have exposed wires like that... it just stood out when I opened the hood, you'd think they have some time of "loose" cover over the wires.. oh well.. :)

goldbrick said:
Looking at your pictures just made me realize I've had my Leaf for a year now and I have never looked under the hood. :mrgreen:
I do ALL my own ICE car maintenance and one of my reasons for buying a Leaf was the low maintenance required. So far, so good...

Nice!

So, seems you still have to add coolant , windshield wiper fluid, brake fluid to the LEAF for regular maintenance... anything else I'm missing?

be236 said:
Nice!

So, seems you still have to add coolant , windshield wiper fluid, brake fluid to the LEAF for regular maintenance... anything else I'm missing?

No coolant requirement on my 2017 as far as I know. There is windshield fluid, brake fluid every few years (pads should last 10+ years for me), tires (rotate and eventual replacement), washing the exterior and vacuuming the interior.

I did buy a lighted door handle switch but haven't put it in yet. And I've removed all the exterior 'Zero Emission' stick-on lettering. So there are a few mods I couldn't resist but compared to what I'm used to this is nothing. I guess if I keep the car for > 100k miles that could change but since it's just a town car for me that won't happen in my lifetime.

goldbrick said:
be236 said:
Nice!

No coolant requirement on my 2017 as far as I know. There is windshield fluid, brake fluid every few years (pads should last 10+ years for me), tires (rotate and eventual replacement), washing the exterior and vacuuming the interior.

I did buy a lighted door handle switch but haven't put it in yet. And I've removed all the exterior 'Zero Emission' stick-on lettering. So there are a few mods I couldn't resist but compared to what I'm used to this is nothing. I guess if I keep the car for > 100k miles that could change but since it's just a town car for me that won't happen in my lifetime.

Also, isnt there an in-cabin air filter you need to replace/clean periodically?

be236 said:

I opened the hood and noticed a small block with exposed many colourful thin wires, right behind the 12v car battery.

It is normal for that connector block to be exposed on later models. My 2011 had a cover over the similar connector. I noticed the exposed connector on my 2015 and mentioned it to my dealer. We looked at several on the lot and concluded they eliminated the cover. I did not want water to get in so I fabricated a cover.

GerryAZ said:
be236 said:

It is normal for that connector block to be exposed on later models. My 2011 had a cover over the similar connector. I noticed the exposed connector on my 2015 and mentioned it to my dealer. We looked at several on the lot and concluded they eliminated the cover. I did not want water to get in so I fabricated a cover.

Nice!

Keep in mind the wires aren't really "exposed"; they're covered in insulation :p The weak point would be the connector but again it's in a very clean, safe spot in the car. If it bugs you, self-fusing silicone tape is an easy way to seal stuff

https://www.amazon.com/X-Treme-Tape-TPE-XR1510ZLB-Silicone-Rectangular/dp/B07D91B2KC/

Or, go big with Flex Tape ;)

https://www.flexsealproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/flextape-1.jpg

Back