Where to send the Leaf for dismantling

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelvin6

I know this sounds depressing (and for my first post), but unfortunately my Nissan Leaf was involved in a major accident a few weeks ago. I need to start considering where and how to dispose/recycle the Leaf. I checked with Pick-n-Pull and they only offered me $9, so I would like ask if anyone has any ideas or recommendations on where to take the Leaf to dismantle or a auto wrecking yard?

I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area (specifically East Bay). My Leaf is a 2013 S and if anyone wants parts before I eventually scrap it, let me know. Here is the story of what happened: https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/SF-police-cruiser-crashes-into-car-in-the-13037226.php

Sorry to hear that, but why is it your responsibility to get it salvaged? Are you self-insured or not insured?

From my experience, when you have an accident it's the insurance company's job to step in and take care of all that - towing from the scene to a repair or storage facility, through the final disposition, UNLESS you were to buy it back as salvage. I'm not sure I understand why you're making it your concern.

Unfortunately I didn’t get collision coverage on the vehicle. After the car was wrecked and towed by police to a storage yard, I had to remove and tow the car back home to avoid it the excessive and outragous fees. Essentially i’m stuck with a wrecked Leaf for the time being.

kelvin6 said:
Unfortunately I didn’t get collision coverage on the vehicle. After the car was wrecked and towed by police to a storage yard, I had to remove and tow the car back home to avoid it the excessive and outragous fees. Essentially i’m stuck with a wrecked Leaf for the time being.

Ah, I see. I've never had anything other than comp. I didn't realize third-party it was no better than not having any insurance. LOL!

OK, then it's time to look at the city and it's deep coffers. Were you at fault in the accident:

Was the police vehicle "code three" and you failed to yield?
Was the police vehicle "code three" as a convenience to the officer or was he actually on a call?
Did the officer use appropriate caution before entering the intersection? Did they slow or stop at all?
Did the vehicle use a siren burst appropriate to entering an intersection (often different from the traveling one)?

These are probably questions that you need a lawyer to be asking for you.

I am not a lawyer (though we have several in the family) nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Edit: I took the time to actually read the story - according to the eyewitness, the police cruiser accelerated on a signal that either was well on it's way to changing or had already changed against him, and hit you while you were already well into the intersection. That looks pretty cut and dry to me.

mwalsh said:
...according to the eyewitness, the police cruiser accelerated on a signal that either was well on it's way to changing or had already changed against him, and hit you while you were already well into the intersection. That looks pretty cut and dry to me.

Yeah, but it's San Francisco so they'll settle in about 6 years.

I can use the passenger front and rear doors, I live in Concord and can take it apart and pickup the doors, let me know when you are available. Thank you Victor

the police car has insurance, call up their insurance and file a claim.
what makes you think you are on the hook when the police obviously hit you.

or are police untouchable? if they have their sirens on that makes them immune from bad driving????

you can just post the whole thing on craigs list or ebay and see what kind of offers you get. the battery pack alone is about $2500 value
bumpers $200 to $300 each, engine $800 to $1000

most profitable and most labor intensive is to buy some tools and take it apart yourself.
if you pay someone else to take it apart then expect to get 10% of the value.

Back