Coldest Climates? What to expect...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talock2018

So I’m about two weeks in our used 2013 SL. Loving it so far, still at 12 bars and learning the experience of ownership and how topography effects performance to and from various destinations. But, what’s eating me up at night is the cold weather. Wondering who is operating a LEAF in the coldest climate...we are in mid coast Maine - latitude 44 and we hit about 7200 heating degree days a year with some very cold weather in late December and January (many days of never getting above 20 degrees is common in that month). What should I expect? Does the cold effect degradation or just range? I have been using about 15% battery for my hilly but generally elevation loss commute (16 miles) - what will this look like come winter?

I have charging options at both ends, so i am not worried, but very interested to here from others operating EVs in far northern climates.

Also, and this is perhaps a very dumb question, but the neither the manual or this forum seemed to have a specific answer, when i pre-condition the cabin with the EVSE plugged in, does it matter if the timed charge is already complete? Does the car still know to draw the power from the charger and not the battery? Just curious...

Talock2018 said:
So I’m about two weeks in our used 2013 SL. Loving it so far, still at 12 bars and learning the experience of ownership and how topography effects performance to and from various destinations. But, what’s eating me up at night is the cold weather. Wondering who is operating a LEAF in the coldest climate...we are in mid coast Maine - latitude 44 and we hit about 7200 heating degree days a year with some very cold weather in late December and January (many days of never getting above 20 degrees is common in that month). What should I expect? Does the cold effect degradation or just range? I have been using about 15% battery for my hilly but generally elevation loss commute (16 miles) - what will this look like come winter?

I have charging options at both ends, so i am not worried, but very interested to here from others operating EVs in far northern climates.

Also, and this is perhaps a very dumb question, but the neither the manual or this forum seemed to have a specific answer, when i pre-condition the cabin with the EVSE plugged in, does it matter if the timed charge is already complete? Does the car still know to draw the power from the charger and not the battery? Just curious...

Range is affected, no addition battery degradation.
Preheating will come from the wall power if you are using 220 Volt (level 2) EVSE.

Congratulations and enjoy!

Here in Green Bay, WI in summer we can go 80 miles and in winter (about 0F) we can go 50 miles assuming dry roads and very low heat. In a snowstorm or snow covered or slushy roads we are lucky to go 35 miles, but you also need more heat/defrost to keep the windshield clear as well. Oh for a larger battery...

Since you easily have enough range (which drops by about 50% in severe cold) don't worry. The cold will help preserve the battery rather than degrading it. The car ALWAYS takes power from the battery; if you are replacing it fast enough from the EVSE then there will be either no net loss of power or the car will keep charging, but more slowly, while the heater is on. If you are charging using L-1 then you will have a net loss of charge while charging and preheating.

LeftieBiker said:
The car ALWAYS takes power from the battery; if you are replacing it fast enough from the EVSE then there will be either no net loss of power or the car will keep charging, but more slowly, while the heater is on.

I think Talock's question is: if you program the car to finish charging at 4 am, and you program the heater to preheat the car at 9 am, then by the time the heater kicks-on, the charge cycle in over-and-done with. Will the Leaf start a second charge cycle?

I think the answer is "no," but i'm not sure.

Yes - that was my question.

Do you just set the timers to both end when you want to leave to avoid drawing down the battery after the charge is complete?

Back