Hail damage, can i replace the roof and hood myself?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milanski

Hey all,
I'm pretty handy, and wondered if it might be a lot cheaper to just get a replacement roof and hood, and swap out the parts myself. It's a red 2012 SL. Thoughts? Thanks!

Doing it yourself is always cheaper...as long as your time isn't counted as worth anything. Unless you're pretty skilled at this, though, you'll have a hard time getting the cosmetic outcome you want, and run the risk of incurring additional costs through damaging other components.

hood will be a piece of cake (4 bolts basically). roof will require body work most likely since it is spot welded on, you will have to remove the windshield also.

I restored hail damaged whole car without any parts. There is handy 3M air powered mixer with filler cartridges that allows real-time mixing, so you can make filler continuously in small portions and apply to every dent. A lot of work, but it only cost me 1K in equipment and materials to fix entire car and it looks better then new. lol I did not cheap out on paint and clear coat layers.

I had a dent the size of a softball on the fender of my mothers car. A mobile paintless dent repair guy came out and totally removed the dent in about 30 minutes.

These guys specialize in repairing hail damage.

Check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJCQd7--XQ

Amazing

Here is another video. On some of the roof area they used glue to attach a mandrill and pulled the dent out. Look at it startin* at 6 minutes into the video. Then they tapped it back down perfectly. https://youtu.be/gu9r4xDzPy8

The results are amazing.

I popped hail dents out by letting my vehicle sit in the sun to get the sheet metal really hot and then touching ice cubes to the centers of the dents to quickly cool the metal. Someone suggested dry ice, but I was afraid that might damage the paint.

Roof is more economic to pull some deep dents and just use filler and special polyester primer, it goes thick and floats well and a lots of sanding. Painting actually the easy part. I did a whole compact sedan with hail damage without any part replaced and painted myself in my garage for $1500 with all the tools (compressor, 3M tool with filler cartridges and mixing tips, air-sander, hand-sanders, vac, sprayers, air-dryer, paint , primer) and materials. There is 3M tool that auto-mix small amount of filler on demand from cartridges, so you can do 100s small applications (specific for hail damage) with out manual mixing as it would set in few minutes. It came out so well, I am jealous of the paint job as my kid is driving it.

Back