How to get my company to install charging dock?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdsantaclarita

Hi All,
I'm not sure if this is the right area to ask this question, but after realizing that I am on the upper end of the mileage range for the leaf...life would be much easier if I could charge at my work. We have a parking structure below the building (owned by the property mgmt company) as well as a back parking lot. I was wondering if there have been successes in getting companies to put in some method of charging for employees who have to commute long distances. Wondering if there are incentives, etc as well as what is involved from an implementation stand point. Meaning is it possible to just run some extension cords to the back lot? Not sure my company would go for that...Up to what would a "real" charging dock consist of. Trying to get a super rough idea so i can talk to them to see if its something that may be considered.

Thanks all.

-JD

Where are you located? If it's one of the EV Project areas, it might be as simple as making the right introductions, since EV Project is carrying a good chunk of cost.

I don't think you'd get far on the extension cord idea, since they're likely to be concerned about risk (rain, trip hazard, fire) and maintainability. Go for a proper code-compliant install.

Does your building have or seek LEED certification? If so, there are some incentives for both construction and upgrades:

Existing Buildings:
LEED-EB: Sustainable Site Credit 4.0
-3-15 points available for the reduction in
conventional commuting trips from 10-75%

CARB ZEVs are called out as alternative transportation. Under Potential Strategies:

“Provide space and infrastructure features, such as.. charging facilities, preferred parking. […]
Offer employees incentives for using alternative transportation, such as additional vacation days, cash rewards, or pretax options.”

You could point them to other companies who embrace it as a beneficial:

http://www.hybridcars.com/corporate-incentives.html

Types of Charging-Docks:

1. A 120v socket, you provide the L1 EVSE that is included with the LEAF.

2. A 240v socket at an "inside" location. Again, you provide a "movable", plug-in L2 type EVSE. A "perfect" (smaller, to be easily portable) plug-in EVSE is not yet available, but at least one "larger" EVSE is, the Blink.

3. Install a L2 EVSE, indoors or out, and there is a federal "tax credit", up to about $50,000 I believe.

Safety (and liability) is a PRIMARY concern. An extension cord, placed such that anybody could trip over it, would usually be a "no-no".

Security and regulating access is usually the next issue.

The actual routing of a suitable-capacity electrical citcuit(s) is the next issue, but that is usually a cost issue, but sometimes a permission issue as well.

Finally, who pays for the e-fuel?

Think these through, write down some thoughts and benefits, and see if your company will listen for 5 or 10 minutes to your well-formed request.

Some (many) companies just lease the property, so they will often need to talk to the property owner.

Does that help?

Make sure to let them know about the tax credits available if they install an EVSE. I think it's up to $30,000 for 2011.

http://alternativefuels.about.com/od/incentiveprograms/a/taxcredits.htm

Talk to the property management. Explain the different options (full charging station, using a 110v outlet, etc). Explain the actual amount of energy that is required to recharge, say, HALF of your battery pack.

If you're going to be working 6-8 hours, 110v should be completely adequate for your needs. Obviously a level II would be nicer, but not necessary. If there are enough outlets in the garage (there should be) and you can find a spot close to them, that might be the easiest solution (ask first, please).

I've talked to several garages that are more than happy to let me plug in my Xebra, but none of them (so far) is willing to reserve a spot or anything. They say that if I can find a parking spot nearby an outlet, AND I make sure that my power cord doesn't cause a tripping hazard or anything, I'm welcome to recharge for free (well, standard monthly parking fee, but nothing extra for the electricity).

Back