Red CAV sticker for used cars with white CAV stickers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supersleeper

Hi Folks,

I’ve been looking all around, including the California dmv site for details on used cars with white CAV stickers to renew with Red. It’s quite nebulous. Has anyone attempted to apply for one that is a used car owner with white stickers? I bought mine used in August that came with the car.

Thanks in advance

What year is the car? The reason I ask if it was issued stickers before 1/1/2017, those cars won't have solo HOV access after the end of this year, so there's really no point in applying. Existing green and white stickers are valid until the end of the year according to https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

Someone on a different (non-EV) forum has a used Leaf and he just got his red stickers, even though his car won't qualify after the end of the year.

My younger brother has a 2016 eGolf but because of delays in processing, he didn't get his sticker until early 2017, so he's lucky and will get his HOV privileges extended.

Like RonDawg says, it's all about issue date. Regardless of model year, if the stickers were first issued after 1/1/2017, you can apply for red stickers in 2019 that will last until 2022. If you can find a used BEV or PHEV car that was never issued CA HOV stickers, and get stickers for it this year, they'll be red, and you can also apply for extension to 2022.

At least, that's the current law text, and could change.

Has anyone tried to apply for the red stickers? I don't see any instructions on how to apply for the red stickers on the website.

I think they are now only issuing red stickers. When I applied in March, there was no spot to specify and they sent red stickers.

If one were to purchase a used EV/plug-in from out of state, say an older model year like 2011 - 2016, I am curious if it will qualify for the new Red sticker, since technically, that car was never issued a CA sticker so far...I would think, it would qualify...

Probably a legit loophole in the new law's formulation...

mihird said:
If one were to purchase a used EV/plug-in from out of state, say an older model year like 2011 - 2016, I am curious if it will qualify for the new Red sticker, since technically, that car was never issued a CA sticker so far...I would think, it would qualify...

Probably a legit loophole in the new law's formulation...
Yes, it should per https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/californias-clean-air-decals:
If I buy a used eligible battery-electric, plug-in hybrid or fuel cell car, can I apply for a Clean Air Decal? When would that decal expire?

Used cars are eligible for a Clean Air Decal providing they have never previously had one. The expiration date of the decal is based on the application date for the decal, which is three full years plus the partial year.

Last I checked, a few weeks ago at the beginning of June, CA DMV had not updated the form used to apply for an extension. There was no place where you could indicate the date of the original issue.

I purchased my 2017 Leaf at the very end of 2016, but the actual title shows beginning of 2017 and my HOV sticker was not issued until February 2017.

I suppose I could draft the form and hand write the original issue date (and HOV sticker number) and write in a request for an extension under the new law (or wait until the DMV updates the form which might be less complicated). I was planning to wait for the updated form as my current HOV Sticker is good until end of the year.

But yes, if the qualified vehicle has never been issued an HOV sticker before, sounds like it would be eligible for the new Red HOV Sticker good for 3 or 4 more years.

I just wish they had picked another color besides “RED”!

lkkms2 said:
I just wish they had picked another color besides “RED”!

I suspect they will be using other colors to indicate expiration, just like DMV does with the registration sticker on the rear license plate. Yellow (non-plug-in hybrid) expired some time ago. White and green at the end of this year. Red will expire at the end of 2021. As stickers issued after 2018 will be valid for 3 full years plus the remaining part of the last year, they'll need colors to designate expirations for Jan 1 of 2023, 2024, and 2025 (when current Federal law mandates solo HOV programs end). Assuming they'll use DMV's 5 color rotation for the reg stickers, they still have orange and blue to use up; I don't know what they'll do for the final year.

Unless one is the original owner, how does one know when the white HOV decals were originally issued (or if not present, if they were never issued, or if lost): Even an out of state car without decals could conceivably have been originally registered, and decals issued, by the CA DMV.

There seems like DMV should offer an online form where one can query HOV issue date by decal number - although that would be out of character for them: Judging by the waiting times at the DMV offices in my town, you'd think they would want people to be able to do things in front of a computer rather than having to visit the DMV office for everything.

sigurdk said:
Unless one is the original owner, how does one know when the white HOV decals were originally issued (or if not present, if they were never issued, or if lost): Even an out of state car without decals could conceivably have been originally registered, and decals issued, by the CA DMV.
Re: the bolded part, sure, if the car was ever registered in CA.

I find it highly unlikely that a car that has never been registered in CA with CA plates could've received a CA HOV sticker though. I haven't gone back and checked the bills and relevant .ca.gov pages to confirm thoroughly. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/decal points to the application form at https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/a2d67782-6ef5-48e5-aa04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES. It asks for the CURRENT REGISTERED OWNER INFORMATION (name printed must match DMV records) including license plate number. It doesn't seem like an out of state car would be in CA DMV records. Some states (e.g. WA) don't even have a body called the DMV.

One can always check a car's registration online history via Carfax.

Sondy132001 said:
So let me get this straight ?? I got my White Clean Air decal in 2015 and after December 31, 2018 I am no longer allowed to use the Carpool lane solo ??

Not unless you get new stickers. https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

ScottUrman said:
Sondy132001 said:
So let me get this straight ?? I got my White Clean Air decal in 2015 and after December 31, 2018 I am no longer allowed to use the Carpool lane solo ??

Not unless you get new stickers. https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

I am guessing you didn't read my post thouroughly, my stickers were put on the car in 2015. I went to that website and this is what I read:

"Red Clean Air Vehicle Decals The California DMV is now issuing a new "Red" decal for all qualifying vehicles pursuant to CVC §§5205.5 and 21655.9 that will be valid until January 1, 2022. The Red Clean Air Decal has the same eligibility requirements that were required for the Green and White decals. There are income requirements and other details regarding this new California Clean Air Decal program.

Owners of vehicles issued a Green or White HOV decal after January 1, 2017 may re-apply in 2019 for a new Red Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022.

All vehicles in the chart below that were not issued a green, white, or red decal prior to January 1, 2019, will qualify for the new Clean Air Vehicle decal. Information on the color of the new sticker and application date and process have not yet been released."

So I called their 800 number and they said I am not qualified to receive the red sticker unless I buy a new car ! So anyone who has an electric car, with white or green decal, before 2017 arte no longer permitted to use the carpool lane.

Kind of screws up my plan, I was going to get a new battery and keep my car, but in all reality I bought it to not sit in traffic, the added bonus of not buying gas was just icing on the cake !

Sondy, nice to see you back.

Yes, unfortunately the stickers on your car will become useless effective at the stroke of midnight, Jan 1, 2019. Your only recourse is to buy/lease a new EV, or a used older one that was never registered in California.

I suspect that between the sticker expirations starting at the end of the year, and the pending loss of the $7500 credit for Tesla and soon GM, sales for EV's in this state are going to go up.

RonDawg said:
Sondy, nice to see you back.

Yes, unfortunately the stickers on your car will become useless effective at the stroke of midnight, Jan 1, 2019. Your only recourse is to buy/lease a new EV, or a used older one that was never registered in California.

I suspect that between the sticker expirations starting at the end of the year, and the pending loss of the $7500 credit for Tesla and soon GM, sales for EV's in this state are going to go up.

Nice to see you here still Ron ! Yeah they're making it really difficult to be green these days. The oil/gas companies must just be squawking loudly ! Like the Cigarette companies on the vapes ! I am probably going the route of leasing a new Leaf, I do like the New Tesla 3's but $700 a month just doesn't work for me ha

I remember it took a few weeks to get my license plate, then get my clean air decal, so I will be starting my journey in October, so come January I am good to go ha

I am totally dissappointed on how my car will be useless because resale will be useless too, who would buy a car that has a compromised battery and you can't drive it solo on the carpool lane ?? booooooo

I have a question, on the $7500 credit, does Nissan Still have it and if so does it work on a lease or purchase only ? Thanks

S

This sucks, I have always assumed I will be able to renew the stickers when the time comes if the program was till in effect. I got my stickers back in 2011. At least I'm not relying on being able to solo-access HOV daily, but it surely is nice to have that option every now and then.

Sondy132001 said:
I have a question, on the $7500 credit, does Nissan Still have it and if so does it work on a lease or purchase only ?

Yes, purchasing the Leaf still qualifies for the full Federal Tax credit, as Nissan has not reached the 200k cars quota. So as long as you have at least $7500 in tax liability, and don't have to pay Alternative Minimum Tax, you should be able to take full advantage of the credit.

From a quick perusal of the Nissan website, it appears that they are passing the full credit once again to lessees. The "official" Nissan USA lease deal fo the 2018 Leaf S is $219/month x 36 months, but with a whopping $3979 due at signing, PLUS tax and license. It does include "$10,025 manufacturer's rebate applied to $219/Month lease" which appears to contain the $7500 credit passed onto the lessee. Hopefully someone who did lease a 2018 can give you more specifics.

The California Clean Air Rebate still applies as long as you don't exceed their income cap ($150k for a single filer IIRC).

Back