SageBrush
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:12 pm

flydiver wrote:
davewill wrote:
tattoogunman wrote:... Even replacement battery packs for phones and other electronics often cost a significant percentage of what the thing they are powering cost in the first place (not all, but some). ...

No they aren't at all. The replacement battery I just ordered for my originally $500 Nexus 6p was $14. Batteries will definitely get cheaper although what might not get cheaper very soon is one especially built for an old LEAF. We may have to wait until small quantity prices drop far enough that third parties can rework LEAF packs affordably.


I have the equipment to test small phone and camera lithium cells. I've tested dozens. I can absolutely guarantee you that none of these cheap ones are remotely as good as original. They come anywhere from DOA, to about 3/4 original capacity (at best), usually ~50-60%, and generally a much shorter life-span. IOW, they are mostly crap, but cheap crap.


I just bought one for $28. I hope my 'expensive' replacement is good, but if not I'll return it.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

goldbrick
Posts: 252
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:33 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Aug 2017
Leaf Number: 311806
Location: Colorado front range

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:28 pm

flydiver wrote:I have the equipment to test small phone and camera lithium cells. I've tested dozens. I can absolutely guarantee you that none of these cheap ones are remotely as good as original. They come anywhere from DOA, to about 3/4 original capacity (at best), usually ~50-60%, and generally a much shorter life-span. IOW, they are mostly crap, but cheap crap.


I'm 100% not surprised but I do need a new battery for my Nexus phone. Do you know of any sources of quality replacement batteries? I was planning to go the DIY route but I would pay to have it done if there are good batteries to be had somewhere.

SageBrush
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 pm

goldbrick wrote:
flydiver wrote:I have the equipment to test small phone and camera lithium cells. I've tested dozens. I can absolutely guarantee you that none of these cheap ones are remotely as good as original. They come anywhere from DOA, to about 3/4 original capacity (at best), usually ~50-60%, and generally a much shorter life-span. IOW, they are mostly crap, but cheap crap.


I'm 100% not surprised but I do need a new battery for my Nexus phone. Do you know of any sources of quality replacement batteries? I was planning to go the DIY route but I would pay to have it done if there are good batteries to be had somewhere.

Buy from a vendor who publishes the Ahr capacity. Return it if it fails to live up to the advert.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

flydiver
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 am
Delivery Date: 20 Mar 2018
Leaf Number: 337789
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:45 pm

SageBrush wrote:
goldbrick wrote:
flydiver wrote:I have the equipment to test small phone and camera lithium cells. I've tested dozens. I can absolutely guarantee you that none of these cheap ones are remotely as good as original. They come anywhere from DOA, to about 3/4 original capacity (at best), usually ~50-60%, and generally a much shorter life-span. IOW, they are mostly crap, but cheap crap.


I'm 100% not surprised but I do need a new battery for my Nexus phone. Do you know of any sources of quality replacement batteries? I was planning to go the DIY route but I would pay to have it done if there are good batteries to be had somewhere.

Buy from a vendor who publishes the Ahr capacity. Return it if it fails to live up to the advert.


MOST of them publish the Ahr (capacity), or at least it's printed obviously on the cell.
Hint - if the capacity listed is more than the original......don't bother. The more the claim = the bigger the lie.

I wish I knew where to reliably get good replacement cells. Sometimes, for a fairly high price, you can get a true original from the manufacturer. OTOH, it could be old.
Even if it claims to be an original battery, if it's 1/4 the price, it's probably not. Sometimes you can remove the wrapping and see what's really underneath.

FWIW, I recently bought a couple off eBay that LOOKED original, and claimed to be original. When received I could not tell the difference from the original in the packaging or the battery. When tested they were ~ 60%. Sent the vendor the picture proof from the test equipment and they admitted they were original, but likely very old stock, as in VERY old. Got a refund and did not need to return. I indicated in the letter that I considered them defective and would not mail them back anyway.

The trouble is PROVING they are not up to capacity. The vast majority of users simply do not have the knowledge or the tools. The anecdotal reviews you get on eBay or Amazon, etc., are pretty much worthless.

User avatar
davewill
Posts: 4980
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, US

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:47 pm

All all of this is entirely besides the point that the battery cost is nowhere near a significant percentage of phone cost.
2014 Rav4 EV, Blizzard Pearl White
2011 LEAF SL w/QC, Blue Ocean, returned at end of lease

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 13281
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Feb 2018
Leaf Number: 314199
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:23 am

davewill wrote:All all of this is entirely besides the point that the battery cost is nowhere near a significant percentage of phone cost.


If your battery is built in, it can be a chunk of change. In reality with power packs a dime a dozen, I don't even consider replacing my battery. BMS not left to the phone helps a lot too. Don't discharge below 15% and don't charge over 90% as much as possible and it will make a lot of difference. I am now actually using a phone that might even have "convenient battery life left after 15 months...
2011 SL; 44,598 miles. 2013 S; 44,840 miles.2016 S30 deceased. 29,413 miles. 2018 S40; 11,987 miles, 485 GIDs, 37.6 kwh 110.89 Ahr , SOH 96.00, Hx 115.22
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SageBrush
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:28 am
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017
Location: Colorado

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:44 am

flydiver wrote:The trouble is PROVING they are not up to capacity. The vast majority of users simply do not have the knowledge or the tools.

No lack of Android apps that report capacity. Accubattery is one example.
I presume that iOS has similar tools.

If the vendor does not like the App choice I would agree to use whatever they recommend so long as it is highly rated.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought off-lease Jan 2017 from N. California
Car is now enjoying an easy life in Colorado
3/2018: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

nissansucks
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:44 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2016
Leaf Number: 021463

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:01 pm


nissansucks
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:44 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jun 2016
Leaf Number: 021463

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:06 pm

Add a 24KWHR battery pack to your current Leaf for $4500, don't pay $8500 to Nissan who screwed us with inferior batteries from the start!

https://hybridindustries.webs.com/

Altaflyer
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:08 pm
Delivery Date: 06 Oct 2018

Re: Warning: Battery Replacement Cost Increase (now $8500)

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that currently, Nissan is much more interested in promoting the sale of new vehicles and to that end, a high replacement cost might prompt people to replace the car rather than the battery. Non-OEM battery replacements are available for one-third the cost of OEM.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”