Tie Down Hatchback?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob

I need to carry 16' boards from the lumberyard to my home in my Leaf (7 miles of local highway and backroads). There doesn't seem to be any holes or brackets on the hatch to tie onto.

Any advice on how to tie down the hatch?
Any other advice on carrying long boards with the Leaf?

Thanks!
Bob

Take the S-hook of a bungee strap and push it into the lock area of the hatch, the lock will lock around the S-hook and never let go, well until you push the UNLOCK button and pull on the S-hook.
'16 boards might be an issue I believe it's not much more than 9' from the dash to hatch lip, that would mean the boards would hang out 7'.....for sure you'd need a red flag attached to the end of the boards, I think it might stick out a bit too far out without support.....
Good luck :)

You can carry things on the roof of a car like the Leaf.... I have been doing it for 30 years. HOWEVER, you cannot carry 16 foot long of anything on the roof, or from inside sticking out. That is way TOO LONG, and will overhang over the front and back or the car in a dangerous manner... I have a Honda Odyssey, and carried 20 foot decking on my car, and it was dangerously too long.

If you can cut them in half, do it, or hire a $20 Home Depot truck. For carrying things on your roof, you need 2 12-15 foot long straps with tightening hardware. you open the doors, tie the object through the inside of the car, and then close your doors when you drive. works great. I moved my entire apartment on a chevy cavalier....

But don't do 16ft things

Back