2011 LEAF Replacement: Need Help w/Pros & Cons of 2018 BOLT, I3, LEAF & Tesla Model 3

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingGreener

Hi Everyone,

It's been a year+ since we've had our 2011 LEAF. Really miss it & would love an EV replacement. Forgive me as I haven't been in the loop re EVs for awhile!

2018 Tesla Model 3, Nissan LEAF, BMW I3 or Chevy BOLT? Trying to consider all these vehicles' pros & cons for our needs below:

Definitely love hatches after our Prius & 2011 LEAF; A 5-seater that'll handle multi-family Costco shopping & a big family dog would be perfect; Not too long to fit city parking spots; Not needed on a daily basis, but longer range & TMS would be awesome so we could take this car everywhere

Last week we got our invite to order the Tesla Model 3. Saw it this past weekend & was disappointed that it wasn't a hatchback & that reviews aren't as high as hoping. So it isn't quite as utilitarian as our LEAF was nor maybe luxurious enough to warrant $50k+. Maintenance costs of a Tesla? Love the tech & battery pack tho.

Was thinking a 2019 or 2020 LEAF w/a longer range and TMS would be great. But Nissan is offering a temporary $3k purchase incentive off of their 2018 LEAF MSRP for PG&E customers. Only saw the 2018 at the Sunnyvale CA Nissan Research Center awhile back, but haven't driven it. Still have 2 year charging program?

BMW is offering similar for their I3, but $10k off. Previously test drove older models. Not crazy for the suicide doors & small trunk space.

Test drove the BOLT very briefly, but they've been leasing/selling like hotcakes. Missed out on their low-cost leases Fall 2017. Smaller than LEAF has it pluses and minuses. Like the EV range.

Would love to hear feedback from current owners/lessees & this forums' EV members!

Thanks very much in advance for your help!

Actually, lucky enough not to need daily commute. Just for taking extended family grocery shopping or for beach/county park outings for hikes (preferably w/big dog in tow) and not having to worry about range. We had the 2011 LEAF, so the 2018 is an improvement. The BOLT's & Model 3's range & TMS seem to future proof a little.

I do take a wheelchair regularly, so if the LEAF hatch is the same, will love that. Much points to the LEAF, but the 2019/2020 sounds more future-proofing.

We still have the 2011 Blink EVSE on our wall! Not sure if it'll still work/work for newer EVs, but it didn't fail us for almost 6 yrs.

It sounds like you can live with the expected battery degradation without having the car lose usefulness, so I suggest the Leaf. The hatch is very similar, with a tad more room in the cargo area, mainly because of slimmer strut tower covers.

1) Used Tesla Model S 85 because price of a 2012-14 is about the same. the range should be around 250-256 miles, great charging
infrastructure, and a large hatchback. great safety rating, Usually, great customer service, free supercharging. liquid TMS, battery life likely
more than 25 years, aluminum body, possibly no sales tax. Possible cons; shorter warranty if an extended warranty not available. Tesla
does not make it easy to work on your own car. Longer body shop repairs, no tax credit on used.

2) Tesla Model 3 LR because 310 miles and great charging infrastructure, generally great customer service, new warranty,perceived low
depreciation, great safety rating, liquid TMS, battery life likely more than 25 years, tax credit. Possible cons; no hatchback, pay
supercharging. Tesla does not make it easy to work on your own car. Parts availability if needed?

3) Chevy Bolt because 238 miles range, hatchback, can use Tesla Destination Chargers with adapter, expect good parts and manuals for
future, liquid TMS. Possible cons; scant current fast charging infrastructure, slower to fast charge than Tesla, away from home charging at
Evgo is almost gas prices. Some say seats not as comfortable.

4) Nissan Leaf 2018 because 150 miles range, hatchback, free fast and slow charging at dealers if equipped, updated body style, tax credit,
generally well made car, new warranty, expect parts and manuals, good service. Possible cons; no liquid TMS, battery life likely much less
than 10 years, scant fast charging infrastructure, throttling of fast charging that diminishes use for long range, use of Evgo is close to gas
prices,

I picked these as examples because they are the longer range vehicles currently offered in the US nationwide. There can be more pro's and con's but i'm tired of typing. BMW I3 doesn't fit in IMO because of shorter range and styling. Good luck!

Use that Tesla reservation on a Model 3 SR. $37k before tax credits
That is my plan :)

If I did not despise GM and my locale had CCS I would think about the Bolt for the right price.

I'm sorry to lose my hatchback too.

IssacZachary said:
Evoforce said:
1) Used Tesla Model S 85 because price of a 2012-14 is about the same.
Wow! Would that be comparable taking into consideration federal and state tax credits and where would I be able to find one?
Plenty of the 2012-13 S 85 selling in the low 40s and S 60 in the 30s. Start shopping for one if you are truly interested and PM me. Private party sales mostly. (google) I can scrounge up some links if you are serious. Have you priced a New BMW I3 that has less range than the cars that I mentioned? OP did say I3 was in the running for him.

Evoforce said:
Plenty of the 2012-13 S 85 selling in the low 40s and S 60 in the 30s. Start shopping for one if you are truly interested.

Actually I've been pricing a lot of them, even a couple 85's even as low as $35,000.

But if I were to go that route a new Telsa 3 might make more sense. I would be able to deduct a $3,250 federal tax credit (assuming I wouldn't make the full $7,500) and a $5,000 state tax credit off of a new EV, but not a used one.

SageBrush said:
<span>Use that <a class="interlinkr" href="http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=67">Tesla<span class="tip">Visit the Tesla Forum</span></a> reservation on a <a class="interlinkr" href="http://www.myelectriccarforums.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=67">Model 3<span class="tip">Visit the Model 3 Forum</span></a> SR. $37k before tax credits</span>
That is my plan :)

<span>If I did not despise GM and my locale had CCS I would think about the<a class="interlinkr" href="http://www.mychevybolt.com/forum" target="_blank"> Bolt <span class="tip">Visit the Chevy Bolt EV</span></a>for the right price.</span>

I'm sorry to lose my hatchback too.
Thanks! If I can sell both my Leaf and 1972 VW Beetle for a good price this summer, I will!

Thanks Evoforce. Definitely appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts! I think you hit the important points on all those vehicles. Wow, you have 3 EVs?

Thanks Sagebrush. Do you think there'll be tax credits left by the time the $37k Model 3 is available? Lol, yeah, I never had a Nissan before the LEAF, and haven't had a Chevy for a ride since the old Chevelles. Am grateful that, probably to Bob Lutz's credit?, that the Volt & Bolt are real choices. I think the Volts & Bolts have been decent? We're pretty lucky to have a bit of CCS available in our area.

LeftieBiker - I like that we can stand the wheelchair in the 2011 hatch and have space for more stuff. Although the chair can be laid down in a Prius hatch, it takes more body mechanics with the wieldy wheels. Thanks again!

Anyone have a favorite sales person in the SF Bay area?

LeftieBiker - I like that we can stand the wheelchair in the 2011 hatch and have space for more stuff. Although the chair can be laid down in a Prius hatch, it takes more body mechanics with the wieldy wheels. Thanks again!

While I THINK that the 2018 has as much height available in the cargo area, I don't know that for a fact. I suggest you see if that height is in the published specs. Or after Monday, when I pick up mine, I can measure it myself for you.

GoingGreener said:
Thanks Evoforce. Definitely appreciate you taking time to share your thoughts! I think you hit the important points on all those vehicles. Wow, you have 3 EVs?

Thanks Sagebrush. Do you think there'll be tax credits left by the time the $37k Model 3 is available? Lol, yeah, I never had a Nissan before the LEAF, and haven't had a Chevy for a ride since the old Chevelles. Am grateful that, probably to Bob Lutz's credit?, that the Volt & Bolt are real choices. I think the Volts & Bolts have been decent? We're pretty lucky to have a bit of CCS available in our area.

Anyone have a favorite sales person in the SF Bay area?

You are welcome! Yes, 3 EVs. Having a long range and short range definitely handles our needs. Well with one exception, I need a LR electric truck for my boat and travel trailer. Speaking of wheelchairs (travel/standard) or more importantly someone who is disabled, my daughter has a harder time getting out of the Model S (rear) door than she does with the Leafs. Heck, I have a harder time getting in and out of the Tesla front seat compared to the Leafs. Model X would have better access for the rear seat and I haven't tried her out in the Model 3 rear door opening yet. I have a friend with a Model 3 and I should look into trying the wheelchairs in the trunk and her getting in and out at the rear door opening.

LeftieBiker said:

While I THINK that the 2018 has as much height available in the cargo area, I don't know that for a fact. I suggest you see if that height is in the published specs. Or after Monday, when I pick up mine, I can measure it myself for you.

Thanks, will check. And w/SL model, the Bose is in the trunk. Did you buy/lease a 2018?

Sounds like you are looking to buy new and want an EV family car. You might want to wait until year end, when the Kia Kona BEV should be available:

https://www.caranddriver.com/hyundai/kona-electric

2019-Hyundai-Kona-Electric-104-1.jpg

Evoforce - Except for the Tesla X, all their other models are lower to the ground. Lower makes the cars sportier, but definitely impacts the ease/comfort of entry/exit of vehicles. Hope you can check out your friend's Model 3; The back doors might be ok for your daughter; Our standard wheelchair will probably not work in the 3's trunk. We sat in the X this past weekend & the seats seemed the opposite, a little high.

Back