2018 Leaf Trailer Hitch

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koolkev

I just got a 2018 and can't find a hitch yet. Curtis made one for the 2017. If one becomes available or is available please let me know.

Might be an invalid listing, as U-Haul sells Curt hitches and the Curt website doesn't have a listing for the 2018 Nissan LEAF yet:

https://www.curtmfg.com/all-products/2018/nissan/leaf/

Probably worth a phone call to Curt, before ordering one from U-Hual, just in case.

Yup, but the point I was making is that U-Hual has a listing for a Curt hitch that doesn't seem to exist on the Curt website...

As I said, worth calling Curt first to confirm as I suspect that's a hitch for a 2017 and not the 2018 - although they may be the same.

I'm not arguing. I provided the link purely for informational purposes. I thought it seemed a little too reasonably priced. Someone should compare model numbers with the 2017 Leaf listing.

OK, since you insisted: it's the same part number. So either Nissan told U-Haul (but not Curt) that it's the same mount, or U-Haul goofed.

I'm not arguing either, just giving the OP a heads up that it might not be an accurate listing. Since Curt makes the hitch, they will hopefully be able to give him/her a definitive answer before placing an order with U-Haul.

I just installed a Curt 11396 hitch for a 2017 Leaf on my 2018. The instructions call for removing the tow eye on the passenger side and using the bolts to install the hitch. The 2018 leaf does not have a tow eye, but still has the mounting nuts in the frame. The necessary bolts are M12x1.25x30mm which I could not find locally and had to order from Amazon. The hitch is a perfect fit. Curt has an installation video which I found helpful.

WLJ

I thought I read in the owner's manual that towing is not allowed. Are these hitches just for bike carriers? U-haul says you can tow a trailer.

Hi all, looking at a hitch for a bike rack (1-3 bikes).

EcoHitch sells a compatible Hitch for the 2018 Leaf:

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2018_Nissan_Leaf.htm

https://torkliftcentral.com/2013-2016-nissan-leaf-ecohitch?c=1

My question is, since the hitch weighs about 47 pounds installed, any idea how much this extra full-time weight could impact battery range, in general? Like 5% lower, etc.?

Just the hitch, I know once a bike rack is also on and 3 bikes, that is another 125 pounds or so as well and of course will affect range. I'm more concerned about the hitch itself and it's impact, since it would be permanently installed on the Leaf.

If anyone can share their current experiences with hitches installed on past Leafs, that would be helpful with regards to range.

Thanks, Ken

I had a Curt hitch on my '15, and I could not find a noticable difference. My bike trail was only 20+ miles away in suburbia, so I was not doing any highway driving. The only reason I didn't uninstall it for my '18 was because I had no time or the tools in the dealership parking lot.

No doubt I will be buying another hitch.

I have a hitch on my 2015 (looks like a similar or identical hitch) - We use it for a bike rack, and a cargo carrier - it hasn't changed my range in anyway I can tell...My kid keeps getting bigger so he is probably affecting range more than the rack! :shock:

kennethbokor said:
My question is, since the hitch weighs about 47 pounds installed, any idea how much this extra full-time weight could impact battery range, in general? Like 5% lower, etc.?

I usually drive alone, but on a recent 100 mile trip I had a passenger (probably 3x the weight of that hitch) and saw no change in miles / kwh. So I think you won't really notice it.

Hi thanks all for the responses. I kinda thought so but wanted to get some real life experience feedback!

I've heard that a roof rack can cut down range, as much as 5% or so maybe more, but that is because of aerodynamics.

tranquilgarden said:
I thought I read in the owner's manual that towing is not allowed. Are these hitches just for bike carriers? U-haul says you can tow a trailer.

I found this line in the Nissan Canada's LEaf Warranty guide, under the "What is not covered" section:
" Misuse, such as overloading, using the vehicle to
tow, driving over curbs, or using the vehicle as a
power source."

I don't think towing is allowed either, but I'm curious as to whether I can put a hitch-mounted cargo carrier on my 2017.

Back