Intermittent Heater on 2011

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelman

The heater on my 2011 has suddenly become intermittent three days ago. Most of the time I can't get heat but sometimes it will come on. I took it to the dealer and read the codes which showed a bad ptc. But when they gave the car back the heater was working again and did so until I parked the car and turned it off. The next time I started it, no heat.

So my first question is whether anyone has ever experienced an intermittent failure? If so any idea what exactly it might be? My hope is to isolate it down to something more specific that the entire module which cost almost $1800 installed.

My second question is about the claim the service manager made that when they replace the PTC it can kill the DC to DC converter. I'm pretty sure what he meant was the DC to DC block, not a converter since I've found references that and the fuse inside which isn't user serviceable (at least by Nissan). What I'm trying to understand is whether what's really going on is that replacing the bad PTC with a good one somehow blows the fuse or whether what really happens is that when a PTC fails it can pop the fuse in the block. The reason I'm asking is that the dealership says they can't tell if the block is bad until after they're replaced the PTC.

That doesn't make sense to me. I can understand how a good PTC would blow the fuse in the DC to DC block. I can't see how a PTC that failed and suddenly began drawing too much current could blow the fuse but then the block would be dead before the PTC was replaced and the dealer should be able to fault and determine it. They said they can't and they want me to agree that if they replace the PTC I could be on the hook for another $2,000 for a DC to DC block so I'd potentially have to either pay $5,000 to get the heat fixed or blow $1800 only to find out that didn't do the job.

Their explanation just doesn't sound right and I'm trying to figure out what is really going on.

Thanks.

I apologize. I meant to post this in the problems/troubleshooting forum. Can a moderator move it or delete and I'll repost.

Back