2018 Nissan Leaf Test Drive

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtndrew1

Nissan brought a 2018 Leaf by my house this afternoon as part of their launch promotion. It was a red SL with all available features and arrived with a 57% SOC showing 98 miles of predicted range with an average of 4.4 mi/kWh on the current charge.

I currently drive a 2013 Leaf S + QC as an interim car between my expired Kia Soul EV lease and my upcoming Tesla Model 3.

The 2018 Leaf is very clearly a tarted-up version of the old car but the designers and engineers did a good job with the lipstick. The interior door panels, climate controls, rear bench seat, floor pan, windshield pillars, etc, are identical to the 2011-2017 cars. The steering wheel still doesn't telescope which is disappointing.

The interior is still made of inexpensive materials but Nissan did a nice job making things much more conventional and, by association, more upscale in appearance than the previous car. The front seats felt firmer and more supportive than the seats in my '13, and the power seat adjustments mitigated the lack of a telescoping wheel a bit. In my old Leaf I'm between two seat track notches which are either too far or too close to the steering wheel and the power seat allowed me to split the difference and not have crazy outstretched arms. The analog speedometer didn't bother me at all and the LCD adjacent to it was very colorful and had very high resolution. There were myriad screens to cycle through for every vehicle parameter imaginable. If anything the screens could be consolidated a bit but there is no shortage of information available. I was very concerned about the little plastic wings between the console and the dash as they rubbed up against my left leg when I was in the passenger seat of a display model in Santa Monica a few months back. Fortunately the wings were asymmetrical and the one on the driver's side is less obtrusive but they were still really unnecessary.

The wind and road noise have been reduced substantially in the new car. I know sound measurements are logarithmic but I'd say it's a 25% improvement or so. The chassis of the car was noticeably stiffer than the old car with fewer reverberations over rough pavement or potholes, even with the 17" wheels (I have 16" steelies). Simultaneously the suspension was far more supple and when these attributes were combined the car felt more substantial and comfortable to me. It was a very pleasant car to spend time in.

Power was upgraded a lot, particularly at midrange speeds. At 50 MPH with eco and e-pedal disabled the car really squirted forward when I pushed the accelerator in a way the older Leafs don't. You won't mistake it for a Tesla or even a Bolt, but the improvement was noticeable and welcome. E-pedal, by the way, was quite nicely implemented and accomplished similar performance to the Bolt in L + steering paddle but without having to futz with the paddle. I would probably use e-pedal 95% of the time.

I drove the car for about 45 minutes and came away impressed with how much they improved an existing car. Coincidentally a white Model 3 pulled in behind me on the freeway while I was testing ProPilot (it's fine, perfect for inching along in rush hour) and the guide remarked on it and how it was the first one she's seen. Then we pulled up next to a silver Model 3 on the offramp and we discussed it a bit because she thought they hadn't delivered any yet.

I came away thinking the new Leaf is very bad news for the existing Bolt, at least in mild climate markets. I can't see buying a Bolt for eight grand more with far fewer features, a cheap interior, and back-breaking seats. The new Leaf is going to chip away at the Bolt, eGolf, and Ioniq buyers on the economical end of the spectrum.

Warranty aside: The rep confirmed that the battery capacity warranty is "below nine segments within eight years or 100,000 miles." Small segments have been added to the screen with the battery health gauge so I take it to mean that it's very similar coverage to the 30 kWh cars. The rep also had a spiel to read about better battery chemistry and such improving degradation but she insisted on reading from a script on that part.

Nice car, it should sell very well in my opinion.

Thanks for the report.

I could still see people justifying the Bolt, even if it is more expensive. Longer range, better battery management (liquid heating/cooling), and better performance probably being the main reasons, but I can see the new Leaf being a strong competitor - especially once they release the 60kWh version. I've driven a Bolt and had no issues with the seats, but I know that's a recurring issue that keeps coming up on reviews for it. They're both too expensive for me anyway, but I'm still looking at the Leaf and Bolt as my next car (used of course).

mtndrew1 said:
Warranty aside: The rep confirmed that the battery capacity warranty is "below nine segments within eight years or 100,000 miles."
Just to confirm, is the "capacity" warranty 8y/100k or is that the failure warranty? Currently(I believe) the capacity warranty is only 5y 60k but the failure warranty is 8y 100k....
Thanks for the write-up, interesting.

jjeff said:
mtndrew1 said:
Warranty aside: The rep confirmed that the battery capacity warranty is "below nine segments within eight years or 100,000 miles."
Just to confirm, is the "capacity" warranty 8y/100k or is that the failure warranty? Currently(I believe) the capacity warranty is only 5y 60k but the failure warranty is 8y 100k....
It is 8 years/100,000 miles for both warranties on any of the model years with 30 kwh batteries:
https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/charging-range/battery/

cmwade77 said:
jjeff said:
mtndrew1 said:
It is 8 years/100,000 miles for both warranties on any of the model years with 30 kwh batteries:
https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/charging-range/battery/
Thx! I guess some things do get better with time :D

Thanks for the great write up. Very detailed and I really appreciate you covering the road noise . Agree with you and had additional issues that I noticed when driving.
I completed 2 Drive and Discover rides with the 2018 Leaf . Luckily 1 was on a miserable rainy day in November 2017.
The leaf handles wet roads really well IMO. No trouble with being blown off the road (my old honda used to sway in the breeze lol )
Feels more solid and grounded to me than the 1st Gen. Overall the interior felt more 'finished' , however I miss the armrest (one arm driver)
That pesky shift knob is still there from Gen1. i'll call the acceleration "perky" on eco mode with the "B" extra brake regen on. But WoaH! when you take it off , the instant gratification of leaving those bolt's in the rear view took me back to 15 and racing mustangs with my friends (almost). Fun car to drive. Stiff, very stiff.. No real play in the steering, but I found it comforting (again with the honda, play all day).. The resid is terrible and the numbers are out on Leasehackr.com with the MF listed Yahoo!, but i'll look into it for a lease anyway . I'm sure they will be taking people to the cleaners till about 1 month before the 60kWh release later this year. 200+ miles will take all the buyers/leasee's of the 40kWh away in a heartbeat so I hope the lease rates drop below $200 at that time. Current offers to repeat leasee's on Leasehackr (they probably have insider connection?) are showing $229/mo. + tax, and your first born for a down payment. $$$4K.
Best of luck

i just wanted an EV car. I was happy Nissan made one that I could afford to buy (used). When I end up needing to replace it, I hope there are more choices of makers and models available in EV.

mtndrew1 said:
Warranty aside: The rep confirmed that the battery capacity warranty is "below nine segments within eight years or 100,000 miles." Small segments have been added to the screen with the battery health gauge so I take it to mean that it's very similar coverage to the 30 kWh cars. The rep also had a spiel to read about better battery chemistry and such improving degradation but she insisted on reading from a script on that part.
PT Barnum moment.

I had a showroom visit but wasn't able to drive the 2018 SL. Two gripes: the rear seats are no longer heated, the driver door lock/unlock button still has no light. I was generally surprised buy how similar it is to the previous version.

jdorff said:
I had a showroom visit but wasn't able to drive the 2018 SL. Two gripes: the rear seats are no longer heated, the driver door lock/unlock button still has no light. I was generally surprised buy how similar it is to the previous version.

I have had my 2014 Leaf for two months now, and that lack of ability to see the lock/unlock button continues to drive me crazy! How could that not have been fixed?

FYI, using LeafSpy it's possible to have the door automatically unlock when the car is put into park. So, I never have to fumble around in the dark to find the door unlock button, love that feature!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/13eIFNvTFTdRIXMOi5c1i5q4OlIIq0cXuML9QSo3abiXp28SqGJj-ewqH9UxaTot5UJRL6htoC-cDbCDm7LtRtz9BRrVo1w4T09t7ykWAH0mIpgwrUWz3K_lL78lg5hI_O3BJDCxW2VNwOSbZMbebqK0Mk8QU89bIboRxSMZyhgGhEuh9kEFl1bUktzb38qVI9JDOUBhOhn6cIqe2rU939wP7Z1fcmwFYZzstIfwq7HRW2kaxFGZvBFw_22DpWQuFS1jOZ_mAL5Tc1a3ATWIRHsgzp66MRxLmJ53Rz3e9hLYdjMC7lvF7IW7ir8A2jC_CfzlTV1VZQQJz8PJ_V04pEZ60A-JKv0LX5lnN9xTSaQx886cBHhmZlW3lUJGM6e7vEEUFc746yXvdso4NVOSCK6lpF84asZWQU6YYpRXRJt28OPGjf3dyXx186ANC5w6bcXH_QiCi_x_U7w9nfh3EqQcJG4OEwgvFVJijuq0hXENbYFXLkkp0EXWEKzBwF5GlAchnjuMhfE4qt6pn7iG26AzLVE2RtOOvUjQQ6s-sSW_p_Ep0pk9BiA1bwg6fZE5GjHzfA0hc0Nb3KN4xc1JC6OlhVfjjKeVHCziGXU_aspKsEG5rtW4gdI4fiIoljRYLcIo9kB_lSnoEVuKSTO3aetbKFhjfXFH=w508-h903-no

alozzy said:
FYI, using LeafSpy it's possible to have the door automatically unlock when the car is put into park. So, I never have to fumble around in the dark to find the door unlock button, love that feature!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FshtT7V4q5gu5Fr43

You can also change the locking behavior with the lock buttons themselves, IIRC, or with a menu option.

How could that not have been fixed?

They have not bothered to fix many things, including the lack of a charge limiter, and have removed nice features like the upper display and heated rear seats. The plan was to sell the car on price and on it having Pro Pilot available, never on driver-requested improvements other than more power.

LeftieBiker said:
...other than more power.
Which I personally have never had a problem with....many people seem to be power hungry, their car can never have enough :roll: Heck I was fine with the 67hp of my Geo Metro and 40ish Hp of several of my air cooled VWs before that! My '13 Leaf is one of the fastest cars I've owned, at least 0-40 which is mostly what I'd care about.

The Leaf has more than enough power below 40MPH, but if you need to get through a yellow light at, say, 45 or faster, it definitely lacks guts. I really hope they fixed the terrible high beams, too.

Back