Keyless Safety

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pchiquit

Hi folks:
I apologize if this is a repeat question. Multiple searches didn't return any related posting.
I was reading this article and it seems to include the Nissan Leaf:
http://bestride.com/news/technology/urban-myth-you-cant-protect-your-car-from-thieves-by-putting-the-key-in-the-freezer
Basically they are saying that a thief can use an amplifier to activate the keyless system. So my questions are:
-is this still the case for a 2017 Leaf? It is my understanding that the keyless system could use time to validate that the key is actually close by.
-if so, what do you guys do to protect your keys?
Thanks
Paulo

I understand the issue, but it hasn't become major problem in my area - yet. You can keep the fob in an RF-opaque container and use the mechanical key inside it to open the doors. The most secure method would be to remove the battery from the fob and use just the key and the RF chip in the fob, held against the Start button, to start the car. That would result in the fobs losing their pairing with the car, though, I think...

Thanks for the quick reply. I really like the keyless system so I want to keep the functionality, but I want to minimize the risk of theft after I put the key inside the house, so disabling it would not be my preferred solution. I was hoping somebody could share some hints on what faraday box to use. Just found this link where the guy did measurements and make several suggestions:
https://makezine.com/2015/08/14/block-car-door-relay-hack-faraday-cage/
Thanks

When I go swimming alone I just put the fob inside a wad of aluminum foil in the car, and zip the mechanical key into my swim shorts. If a modest sheet of wadded up foil will work, then almost any RF blocking container should work fine. Those car thieves have to be in the signal's range, and is the range is 1' they may as well grab it and run.

Back