Wheel Installation Kit for winter steel wheels?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MVLeaf

I bought a set of steel wheels and snow tires from Discount Tire, and they sold me a Gorilla Wheel Installation Kit, saying I'd need this kit, which is basically lug nuts and a special tool to install them. I mounted the wheels and didn't see any reason the OEM lug nuts aren't just fine for the steelies too. The OEM nuts and the Gorilla nuts both have the same cone shaped end - they look identical. The wheels are fully seated - nothing is remotely loose.
Thoughts?
Thanks

I don't think there was that level of intent. They sent me a UPS return label and seem happy to issue a refund.

They are told to sell accessories. If you were told that it can be handy to have a spare set of lug nuts to take the Winter salt, that's ok. If you were told that you "need" that accessory kit to install the wheels, they ripped you off.

Some steel wheels have different taper in the lug nut area than OEM alloy wheels. In that case, you definitely need to use the right lug nuts with the right wheels. This is probably a more common issue on light trucks, but possible on passenger cars.

GerryAZ said:
Some steel wheels have different taper in the lug nut area than OEM alloy wheels. In that case, you definitely need to use the right lug nuts with the right wheels. This is probably a more common issue on light trucks, but possible on passenger cars.

The first post seems to consider the possibility of different taper and eliminates it as a valid reason.

Back