2018 LEAF starts Volume production - First deliveries in January

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrientExpress

SMYRNA, Tenn. – Production for the all-new 2018 Nissan LEAF is officially underway at the Smyrna Vehicle Assembly Plant in Smyrna, Tenn. The Nissan LEAF will be available at dealerships nationwide starting next month.

"We're committed to vehicle electrification and manufacturing in the United States," said Jeff Younginer, vice president, manufacturing, Smyrna Vehicle Assembly Plant, Nissan North America, Inc. "With the LEAF's low starting price and latest suite of Nissan Intelligent Mobility features, we're excited to ramp up production and bring the LEAF to market next month."

The 2018 Nissan LEAF, along with the 2018 Rogue, offers available ProPILOT Assist technology, which helps drivers navigate stop-and-go traffic by assisting control of acceleration, braking and steering during single-lane highway driving. The Nissan LEAF also incorporates standard Nissan Intelligent Mobility features including: Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) and e-Pedal technology, allowing drivers to accelerate and stop using a single pedal.

The Nissan LEAF has been in production at Smyrna since 2013, with more than 114,550 models sold in the United States since 2011. The 2018 Nissan LEAF will be available in all 50 states at launch at a starting price of $29,9901 and its range will exceed 150 miles2 on a single charge.

Nissan Smyrna Vehicle Assembly Plant first began producing vehicles in 1983 and has since delivered more than 12 million new cars to date. The Smyrna facility currently produces six models including: Altima, LEAF, Maxima, Pathfinder, Rogue and the INFINITI QX60. It has an annual production capacity of 640,000 vehicles.

Nissan Oppama Plant in Yokosuka, Japan, and Nissan Motor Manufacturing Ltd. in Sunderland, England, also manufacture the LEAF for global markets.

2016LEAFproducitonannouncement.jpg

Nissan will continue its current LEAF capacity warranty, guaranteeing about 70 percent of original capacity or more for eight years or 100,000 miles.

LeftieBiker said:
If the tax credit ends on the day the first US Leaf "2" rolls off the line, it will be heavily ironic.

The basis of the 2018 LEAF is that subsidies won't last forever, but most EV customers still favor price over range.

The 150 mile $30K LEAF will still be the best value of any EV sold in the US.

Even though prospective 2018 LEAF buyers make a lot of noise about "needing" a 200+ mile car, their pocketbook says they really need an EV with decent range for under $30K. As Nissan rides the cost efficiencies curve down, that decent range will become 200+ and the entry price will be under $30K, but that won't happen until 2019.

The problem is that the $30K 2018 Leaf S will still cost $7500 more than the $30K Leaf S costs now (MSRP) and even much more than that for a discounted 2017.

LeftieBiker said:
The problem is that the $30K 2018 Leaf S will still cost $7500 more than the $30K Leaf S costs now (MSRP) and even much more than that for a discounted 2017.

But it should be a level playing field, right? Meaning all EVs will cost $7,500 more.

OrientExpress said:
Nissan will continue its current LEAF capacity warranty, guaranteeing about 70 percent of original capacity or more for eight years or 100,000 miles.
Where "about 70%" is 60% ?
I suppose the silver lining then is that Nissan has finally hit the 100 mile range barrier. Well ... not in winter, and not after 8 yrs of ownership.
Woohoo !

They should have a vehicle people want to buy when it reaches $15k out of pocket.

LeftieBiker said:

Yes, but $30k is $5k less than $35K, and Nissan will continue to offer incentives of its own.

SageBrush said:
I suppose the silver lining then is that Nissan has finally hit the 100 mile range barrier. Well ... not in winter, and not after 8 yrs of ownership. Woohoo !

What are you trying to describe?

OrientExpress said:
LeftieBiker said:

Yes, but $30k is $5k less than $35K, and Nissan will continue to offer incentives of its own.

People who planned on buying or leasing a loaded SV (like me) aren't going to flock to the S with its lack of several important features. If Nissan steps up and offers enough incentives for me to lease an SV with just the Cold Weather Package (and assuming that Around View will be standard on the SV) for just a bit more than I was going to pay for a loaded SV, then I might still be in the game...mainly because I have't yet driven another EV I really like.

jhm614 said:
LeftieBiker said:

But it should be a level playing field, right? Meaning all EVs will cost $7,500 more.

All NEW EVs will cost about $7500 more (possibly excepting the Bolt, which could be priced just $2500 more than it costs now with the credit.) Used EVs will become the refuge for those who just can't afford or can't stomach the cost of a new EV with no tax credit. And more people will buy their leased vehicles. It won't be a happy time, though.

webeleafowners said:
One of the original comments on the website was something along the lines of it having up to 100 KW DC fast charging. I had not seen that before . Has anybody seen that spec?

I thought the improved 100kW charging was for the 60kWh 2019 model. But that's just from memory.

Maybe that’s it. If so that might swing us back towards the Leaf from the model 3. We don’t really need 220 miles of range but when we do go for a longer trip the faster charging would be nice. We’ll have to see the price difference in 2020.

GetOffYourGas said:
webeleafowners said:
One of the original comments on the website was something along the lines of it having up to 100 KW DC fast charging. I had not seen that before . Has anybody seen that spec?

I thought the improved 100kW charging was for the 60kWh 2019 model. But that's just from memory.

When I fast charged the LEAF, the charger said that it was charging it at 95kW.

OrientExpress said:
GetOffYourGas said:
webeleafowners said:

When I fast charged the LEAF, the charger said that it was charging it at 95kW.

Wow! I assume this was a 2018 Leaf, and not 2017 or earlier? What was the current draw? It would have to be something like 250A. Where did you find such a high-power charger?

On second thought, are you positive you aren't confusing power and current? 95A sounds a lot more likely than 95kW. 95A at 400V is only 38kW. The fastest DCQC around here is only 50kW nominal (100A at 500V, in practice this is more like 35-40kW)

Back