One data point: multiple consecutive quick charges increase battery degradation (2012 SL)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gor29

Sharing some info in case it's helpful for others trying to avoid battery degradation (or expedite it to make the warranty cutoff...).

I got my 2012 SL used, and tracked my battery degradation with Leaf Spy over 2 years to check whether I was on track to get a new battery before the 60 month warranty was up (I estimated the 8th bar would drop at 43 AHr, even though some reports show it to be as low as 42 AHr).

Car was driven around 8k/year in SFBay area (south bay), L1 charged to 100% every night. Starting December 2016 it was L2 charged every day to 100% (Ahr temporarily increased). Between late June/early July 2017, 12 quick charges in total were done in groups of 2 or 3 in a row, enough for the battery to hit 125-132F each time. I found each quick charge increased temperature by about 20F, and this was during a time when the outside temp was in the 90s. The Ahr kept dropping steadily even 3 weeks after the 12th quick charge, at which point I hit 8 bars and received a replacement battery.

Note: at higher battery temps, the power output when driving can be dangerously limited. At one point after a quick charge and reaching 132F, the power was severely limited, requiring highway merging at 35 mph, and about 60 seconds to hit top speed of 65mph on flat ground. At close to 8 bars, a full charge is only 50 high way miles, and each 30-minute quick charge adds only ~30 miles, so such a leaf is actually thermally limited to ~110 miles a day in hot weather!

My results are consistent with another poster who did multiple consecutive quick charges to quickly drop the Ahr to get a new battery (I can't find the post at the moment).

I'm not sure how long this image will be hosted, so if someone can attach it directly to this post, that would help for future reference.
uc

How many battery temp bars were showing after these DCFCs? I have done almost nothing but DCFC for 2k miles, but have never gotten hotter than 7 battery temp bars. My hottest charging was done at 84F ambient.

Back