Battery Heating

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coupedncal

I understand our Nissan Leaf EV App allows us to remotely enable cabin heating or cooling. My previous EV BMW i3 also allowed battery heating as well as an option so you could enable that on a cold day and your car battery is all warm and ready to go when you start off the car. Does the Leaf have the same capability? In my experience, turning this on in the i3 dramatically increased the efficiency.

No. The battery warmer comes on when the pack temp (not the air temp) is about 7F. It does not warm the battery enough to increase range much, just protects it from freezing.

So this means enabling climate control via the app only turns on the cabin heating (or cooling) but not the battery. Seems like Nissan missed the mark on something as basic as that. The BMW i3 allows this option so the battery gets warmed up from energy from external sources and not burn precious energy sourced from the battery.

I saw a used Leaf on Craigslist a while back; the seller said he had no garage (in Minnesota) and he had added a plug-in battery warmer. That seems like it would be a viable aftermarket product.

coupedncal said:
I understand our Nissan Leaf EV App allows us to remotely enable cabin heating or cooling. My previous EV BMW i3 also allowed battery heating as well as an option so you could enable that on a cold day and your car battery is all warm and ready to go when you start off the car. Does the Leaf have the same capability? In my experience, turning this on in the i3 dramatically increased the efficiency.
The Leaf does not have this capability. Apparently Nissan decided to make and EV with less capabilities for much less than the BMW i3. However, as others have said, there have been many DIY hacks, including one that used stick on heating tape/pads by someone in eastern Canada. IIRC, they were able to bring the battery up to summer time temperatures overnight in their garage, even when it was -30C outside.

Back